Why become a member? ×

NV610 on the way... what Amp?

charic

The Kilo looks a great piece of kit. I really wanted one before they released it, but impatience got the better of me when they kept pushing the release date back! I'm sure my back is quite happy about it though! I think that's what's drawing me to a RH450, great feature set like the kilo but a bit friendlier on my fragile back. Having said that, I heard a Kilo through a Mesa powerhouse 1200 a couple of months ago and it sounded absolutely immense, I imagine through the Berg it would have the same impact!!
PS there's a Kilo on evilbay at the moment starting at £499 with a 12 month warranty and no bids yet.

Edited by ern500evo

Having owned an NV610 for a few years now I've tried a number of different amps through it. I'm currently running a GK 800rb into it and I've got no intentions of changing that any time soon. I've always been very impressed with the clarity and definition I get from this cab, even when I'm running all kinds of dirty sounds into it. I imagine you'll find pretty much any half decent amp will sound good through this cab, as long as you're not looking for a particularly hifi tone.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1360785297' post='1976573']
When I owned this cab I used an Orange AD200B which gave a great tone.
[/quote]

I used to run the same setup, it sounded incredible - especially with a p bass.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1360845788' post='1977252']
I agree on the Gk front. If you want a more clangy agressive tone, compared to the low mid thump of the RH450, GK would be a VERY good choice.

A GK MB800 would hammer the NV610!
[/quote]

Who knows, I might go there in the future but for now I want to see if I was missing out on anything by having a lightweight bass head. Yes... I realise it's a bit dumb but it's better to do it in my 20's than my 50's :lol:

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1360847631' post='1977291']

Who knows, I might go there in the future but for now I want to see if I was missing out on anything by having a lightweight bass head. Yes... I realise it's a bit dumb but it's better to do it in my 20's than my 50's :lol:
[/quote]

Absolutely!

If you can, perhaps save for an all tube ;)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1360848246' post='1977307']
Absolutely!

If you can, perhaps save for an all tube ;)
[/quote]

I would get killed by the gf at that type of cost. That would have to wait until after I've managed to get a deposit together for a house unfortunately :(

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1360845788' post='1977252']
I agree on the Gk front. If you want a more clangy agressive tone
[/quote]

Having actually used a GK head with an NV610 and 412 for a few years, clangy does not spring to mind. Its a very good combination with a good punchy kick.

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1360864443' post='1977641']

Having actually used a GK head with an NV610 and 412 for a few years, clangy does not spring to mind. Its a very good combination with a good punchy kick.
[/quote]

From my experience they are definitely versatile, but set all at 12 there is a mid scoop, a big round bottom, and lots of treble and high mid content. This is the latest models, not the older ones. Not had much time with the older amps.

Obviously a lack of tweeter may change everything.

Edited by Musicman20