Why become a member? ×

Someone would like to trade his Warwick Streamer LX5 for my Stingray5 H/H

Sparkl

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I think that the topic title says it all.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I have a MM SR5 H/H 2007 sitting in my house not used since when I bought my 2012 Fender J. [/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] [/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]It's just a bigger joy playing the Fendy than my SR. Now it's sitting home and I wand to trade a bass for something else. [/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Now there is one guy which proposed a trade with me. He would like to trade in his Warwick Streamer LX5 made in Germany, year 2002, serial number H 094931 02. You can check this serial on warwicks website.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Now my question is: Is it worth it? I mean, how's the quality level with this bass? I haven't tried it yet, but I want to. I like the idea of a Warwicks sound. [/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]But there's a problem - you can find Streamers all the way from Rockbass crap version for 500€ and all up to some expensive "like a sir" versions ranging even as high as 5000€. [/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Can someone who knows Warwicks like his pockets tell me please what's the quality of this bass? Is this even worth switching for a Stingray? As I said, I don't use my Sting anymore so "the epicness of a sting" can be excused. I just wan't to get myself a new bass I would like and use, preferably with a modern sound (what I expect from that warwick), would mostly like to use that bass maybe for some fusion, funk,rock, etc. [/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I just want a fair trade so that I wouldn't trade for something less than my sting. [/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Please help me with this one [/font][/color]

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1359411745' post='1954505']
Rockbass crap version!?

Oh dear.

Hide.
[/quote]

I'm terribly and truthfully sorry if I offended someone, I just don't consider a Rockbass as a professional instrument. For hobby playing perhaps, for serious professional use, not really.

There is a difference between a cheap instrument and true craftmanship.

Edited by Sparkl

[color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"Warwick Streamer LX5 made in Germany, year 2002" -condition, colour, finish, neck wood (still wenge?).... nice bass, kinda like a streamer stage one but bolt on with a wenge or ovenkol neck (i think). Not an amazing vintage. Worth... who knows, my guess, todays pricing 600-1000 ish. [/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Would I trade. Well if a Streamer LX is what you [u][i]want[/i][/u][/font][/color] then why not- it's swapping a good bass for a good bass. If you don't want it and it's just to try, then it's not such a good trade for you in my opinion.
There are better Warwicks out there so it may be easier to sell the MM and then go shopping secondhand. But like I said - if a Streamer LX is what you want- and some folk love the LX's- then it's a good trade.

[quote name='Sparkl' timestamp='1359412926' post='1954523']
I'm terribly and truthfully sorry if I offended someone, I just don't consider a Rockbass as a professional instrument. For hobby playing perhaps, for serious professional use, not really.

[/quote]
Define professional? not being funny - but wouldn't a professional already know which of a warwick streamer LX or stingray 5 sound suited their projects/shows/studios best without needing to ask here?

They don't turn up very often on the used market. Looking on eBay there was an LX 4 recently which reached £620 but didn't sell because it was below the buyer's reserve. Also an LX 5 listed at £799 which didn't sell.

I think the problem with them is exactly what you're experiencing - they're an obscure model in the middle of Warwick's range and nobody really knows what they're worth. And when you can get an early '90s Streamer Stage 1 5-string for a grand on the used market the value of these cheaper models falls off quite sharply.

If I were you I wouldn't do that trade, and I much prefer Warwicks over Stingrays. I just don't think it looks like a fair trade.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1359414390' post='1954550']
They don't turn up very often on the used market. Looking on eBay there was an LX 4 recently which reached £620 but didn't sell because it was below the buyer's reserve. Also an LX 5 listed at £799 which didn't sell.

I think the problem with them is exactly what you're experiencing - they're an obscure model in the middle of Warwick's range and nobody really knows what they're worth. And when you can get an early '90s Streamer Stage 1 5-string for a grand on the used market the value of these cheaper models falls off quite sharply.

If I were you I wouldn't do that trade, and I much prefer Warwicks over Stingrays. I just don't think it looks like a fair trade.
[/quote]

thank you very much. I was looking for this kind of info. I will check it anyway I guess, just out of curiosity.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1359413759' post='1954544']
Define professional? not being funny - but wouldn't a professional already know which of a warwick streamer LX or stingray 5 sound suited their projects/shows/studios best without needing to ask here?
[/quote]

I really think that playing professionally and knowing every single detail of an instrument is a separated thing.

Or do you consider someone who plays in a professional band and doesn't know a thing about warwicks, a non professional? Seems absurd to me.

Don't take me wrong, I'm not considering myself as a professional player even though I'm studiying jazz on an academy, as I don't yet have experience with true professional bands. But I really don't feel like trading my SR5 for a Rockbass ripoff. Simple as that.

P.S.: Plus I wasn't even asking of a sound difference between these two basses as I'm fully aware and informed of that. I was merely asking for build quality comparison, and the true worth of a specific instrument. QC as such.

Edited by Sparkl

[quote name='Sparkl' timestamp='1359415053' post='1954563']
I really think that playing professionally and knowing every single detail of an instrument is a separated thing.

Or do you consider someone who plays in a professional band and doesn't know a thing about warwicks, a non professional? Seems absurd to me.

Don't take me wrong, I'm not considering myself as a professional player even though I'm studiying jazz on an academy, as I don't yet have experience with true professional bands. But I really don't feel like trading my SR5 for a Rockbass ripoff. Simple as that.

P.S.: Plus I wasn't even asking of a sound difference between these two basses as I'm fully aware and informed of that. I was merely asking for build quality comparison, and the true worth of a specific instrument. QC as such.
[/quote] I was just a wee bit surprised at the way you degenerated the rockbass line. Most the pro's I've chatted to on here may not know anything about warwicks but they would know what they professionally need and would be required to have. You rarely see them asking opinions about blind trades! My take, for a future pro, having a stingray in your arsenal would possibly be more desirable than a Streamer LX...

Hmm then it's more a thing of decision then. It's supposed to be well built, but... hmm should I ask for additional payment or something? Or maybe I should just wait for another offer... It's not that I really wan't a Warwick... But I never played a higher ranked W than a Corvette and who knows... Maybe I'd like it.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1359415970' post='1954580']
I was just a wee bit surprised at the way you degenerated the rockbass line. Most the pro's I've chatted to on here may not know anything about warwicks but they would know what they professionally need and would be required to have. You rarely see them asking opinions about blind trades! My take, for a future pro, having a stingray in your arsenal would possibly be more desirable than a Streamer LX...
[/quote]

I know and I agree but it's a whole new world playing a Suhr Classic J, or a remarkably well built high end Warwick than a cheap Rockbass alternative. Tried it numerous times and though you can get close with sound quality sometimes the feeling in your hands and the feeling playing it just isn't the same and as comfortable. It's in the wood, the neck, it's in everything actually. If you know what I mean, it's difficult to explain.

It's probably just that once you own a well built instrument you probably never go lower than that. There are exceptions of course I played a Garry Willis GWB35 which felt suprisingly comfortable and the sound was great. But from my experience, my friend owns a Rockbass and playing that, I really don't see me craving over this thing.

LOL do some research before asking obsolete questions so bluntly. Everything you ask can be found through google easily. And stating the chinese models are toys makes you sound like a total schmuck.

Sell the stingray then go hunting for the best possible choice you can lay hands on. That is what I would o.

Samples of all Warwick models can be found on youtube so it is easy to get an idea of what the LX can do. While at it also check for the other streamer models stage 1 and 2. Stage 1 comes as a broadneck standard and the stage 2 does not but is one of Warwick's flagship models.

The LX sounds aggressive, Stage 1 is a lot smoother yet modern sounding and Stage 2 is king of the midrange frequencies. I'd go for a Stage 2 myself.

[quote name='Sparkl' timestamp='1359416311' post='1954591']
I know and I agree but it's a whole new world playing a Suhr Classic J, or a remarkably well built high end Warwick than a cheap Rockbass alternative. Tried it numerous times and though you can get close with sound quality sometimes the feeling in your hands and the feeling playing it just isn't the same and as comfortable. It's in the wood, the neck, it's in everything actually. If you know what I mean, it's difficult to explain.

It's probably just that once you own a well built instrument you probably never go lower than that. There are exceptions of course I played a Garry Willis GWB35 which felt suprisingly comfortable and the sound was great. But from my experience, my friend owns a Rockbass and playing that, I really don't see me craving over this thing.
[/quote] I know what you mean. But on the other hand I've had top end instruments and picked up bottom end stuff too... in my experience it's not a direct correlation. Like I really don't get on with the feel of sadowskys much, no idea why - but i've set an old cheap japanese jazz copy up to play like butter. ... that said seeing how we arn't disagreeing and it's a thread asking for advice.... if you want a top notch warwick... look for a pre 1992 neck through model, something from 92-98... or something from 2011 onwards. the middle bit you will find great basses in, and some not so great too. If you try an LX you may find it's the bass for you. If you're buying it based on 'quailty' I would suggest their is better stuff out there... this for instance would wipe the floor of the LX http://basschat.co.uk/topic/197682-fs-warwick-dolphin-pro-1-four-string-1989/page__p__1952816__hl__warwick%20dolphin__fromsearch__1#entry1952816

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1359416867' post='1954603']
The LX sounds aggressive, Stage 1 is a lot smoother yet modern sounding and Stage 2 is king of the midrange frequencies. I'd go for a Stage 2 myself.
[/quote] I personally would prefer the bass I just linked too... but one to few string maybe!

[/quote]

No axe to grind here, whatever you buy it is your own money. I have recently bought 3 x rockbasses Chinese. Two of them are every bit as good as my USA basses (vintage G&L, Kramer), they also equal Gibson EB2 (1958), Ric 4001 (1977), Fender P (1977) and John Birch EB3 (1980?) that have been in my ownership over the years. My EB2 was a nice thing, between 1975 and 79 when I used it 5 nights per week I wore the frets off it, the finish (lovely Nitro) crazed, bubbled and wore down. I lived in fear of headstock break. Buy a 2nd hand Chinese rockbass, be amazed at the finish and quality. Then stick some after-market pickups of choice on it. In fairness the neck finish is thin compared to G&L and Kramer - 1980s poly and aged.

If I drop, lose, have stolen or break my USA basses I will never replace them, largely because I will never find replacements, I know of one Kramer for sale on the Internet that is the same as mine. G&L SB1 1985 - how many can I find? Chinese Rockbasses £100 to £150 s/h - loads. It gets stolen etc, so what. It is not just Rockbasses either, there are so many high quality cheapies available. I am totally with Robin Trower on this one - get your sound from commodity gear. Craftsman built kit is superb, it is a joy to play. For me it is too valuable for the day to day.

Bass buying / trading is rather difficult at the moment, I am amazed at what is available for so little. All I will say is judge what you have in your hands at the time, does it play well, do you like it, is it fair for the money. Long term resale values in the current recession .. hmmmmmmm

Edited by 3below

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1359414390' post='1954550']
[/quote]

I don't think they're all that rare but the pricing issue is a good point. When Guitar Guitar Newcastle first opened (must be maybe ten years now, wow) they had a dark blue Streamer LX at £600. I thought that was a pretty fair price, given that in Sound Control, nothing with a Warwick badge on would sell for less than £1000! Of course, the LX was a trade in but it was like a new instrument. In any event, it was the first Warwick that I really got to sit down and play for any length of time and it was a revelation. Superb quality. That said, their value has fluctuated wildly. Unlike some basses, Warwick prices fluctuate on the used market, maybe because they are essentially the bass world's biggest niche product. Some sellers expect their used Warwicks to command a premium just because they are great instruments, but it just doesn't work like that.

Unlike say, flogging a Geddy Lee jazz bass for £500 or whatever, you never know what sort of reception you'll get. When I put my Ltd Edition 1990 Streamer up for £1000, which I thought was a fair price, my inbox nearly burst under the weight of the replies I got.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1359418435' post='1954632']
I don't think they're all that rare but the pricing issue is a good point. When Guitar Guitar Newcastle first opened (must be maybe ten years now, wow) they had a dark blue Streamer LX at £600. I thought that was a pretty fair price, given that in Sound Control, nothing with a Warwick badge on would sell for less than £1000! Of course, the LX was a trade in but it was like a new instrument. In any event, it was the first Warwick that I really got to sit down and play for any length of time and it was a revelation. Superb quality. That said, their value has fluctuated wildly. Unlike some basses, Warwick prices fluctuate on the used market, maybe because they are essentially the bass world's biggest niche product. Some sellers expect their used Warwicks to command a premium just because they are great instruments, but it just doesn't work like that.

Unlike say, flogging a Geddy Lee jazz bass for £500 or whatever, you never know what sort of reception you'll get. When I put my Ltd Edition 1990 Streamer up for £1000, which I thought was a fair price, my inbox nearly burst under the weight of the replies I got.
[/quote] whereas my JV no one wants... but the warwick I want to buy no one seems to want either

[/quote]

No truth in any of this whatsoever, at least from a playing standpoint. There are a lot (and I do mean a lot) of professional recording bass players that get on a lot of dates and play a lot of different gigs with cheap instruments. The suggestion that professionalism is somehow measured by the price/quality/make (delete as applicable) of one's instrument is completely false. I own an expensive American built instrument and a cheaply made P-Bass, most of the work I do people ask me for the latter.

Edited by risingson

I have both a Stingray 5 (2003) and a Streamer LX5 (2003 too, incidentally).

The Streamer took some getting used to, it's a completely different beast and can't be compared to anything else I've ever played. My Streamer has an ovangkol neck, and the early ovangkol versions were notorious for their chunky (understatement) profile compared to the sleeker wenge necks Warwick offered earlier. I'm not sure if 2002 was still a wenge year or if they'd already switched to ovangkol back then. The wenge necks were highly regarded for their playing comfort but the early ovangkol necks are truly a love-it-or-hate-it affair. I have big hands so I have no trouble getting around on my LX5, but it's just not as comfortable as my other 5-strings.
The tone is also something I had to get used to. Compared to a Fender Jazz, both singlecoils on the LX5 are located closer to the bridge. Add up the full maple body and the ovangkol neck, and what you get is a very snappy beast with supertight lows, scooped mids and a very bright attack. I play mine in a metal band with two 7-string guitarists and it works like a charm there: lots of low end push and lots of highs to cut through the wall of distorted guitars. But played stand-alone, I don't really care for its tone.

In terms of value, I think all has been said in the above. A new German-made Streamer LX5 will cost you around 3000-3200 euros at the moment. I got mine used for 500 euros from a guy who had been advertising it on and off for close to year at various price levels, in impeccable condition (aside from some natural wear to the goldplated hardware, that I replaced with black hardware last week). It is an incredible (and incredibly well-made and well-finished) instrument for the price I paid, but I wouldn't trade an SR5 HH one on one.

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1359416867' post='1954603']

Sell the stingray then go hunting for the best possible choice you can lay hands on. That is what I would o.

Samples of all Warwick models can be found on youtube so it is easy to get an idea of what the LX can do. While at it also check for the other streamer models stage 1 and 2. Stage 1 comes as a broadneck standard and the stage 2 does not but is one of Warwick's flagship models.

[/quote]

Never tried an S1 or S2, but my '97 LX6 is more laid back than my Infinity SN4 or Fortress MM5..
I had a Stingray5 fretless.
Build quality differences between the two? Not a lot. The LXs feel very solid, but that's because they're quite heavy (maple body).
The Stingrays are lighter, but just as well made.
The major differences are in feel. The controls on Warwicks feel more solid, as they're directly mounted to the body.
The curvaceous nature of the Streamer makes it better to wear v than the 'Ray... Or at least very different. And the necks are very different too. The Ray I had had a neck that was lovely to play. So smooth and just the right profile. Warwicks vary dramatically in this respect, from quite nice to full-on "clubby"

Any chance you can meet your potential swap-mate and try them together?