Why become a member? ×

Whose other half doesn't like it?

thinman

I'm one of the lucky ones :)

Jen was quite surprised when she saw the number of musical cases at my old flat, but never once has she said I have too much gear! She knows how much my music means to me and has always been very supportive (even when I sold my Fender '51 RI and my double bass to finance my 9 string. She really liked those instruments).

When we were away in the States last month we got married in Las Vegas, then flew/drove across to New York. We looked in music shops at each place and I found something I really wanted to buy. Together, we surfed the 'net found one and had it sent to the last hotel on our journey. It's give and take though, I went around with her looking at perfumes and DVD's!!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='202557' date='May 20 2008, 01:02 AM']a friend was over helping me make hilarious laser noises. :)[/quote]

how fabulous!

being single, i don't really have this problem.
i did manage to make my ex storm out of my house tonight by choosing to play bass over him whinging about, well, something. (i couldn't hear, i was playing the bass over it). he was getting so [i]very[/i] tiresome.

i live with my brother and he is guitarist in our band, so there is usually general musicness going on at our place. we even created a 'leaving the house' tune i play him out with. splendid.

x

Maxkitty is very supportive of my bass obsession. I had a break from playing for a few years and now Im back she says she can see its in my blood, I was just missing it. She also doesnt mind my GAS although she doesnt really know how severe it can get but so long as everything I buy costs £100 (honest darling) shes happy. :) Cant get her to stop asking why do you want 6 basses when you can only play one at a time tho. Bless :huh:

[quote name='Maxcat' post='203384' date='May 21 2008, 12:02 AM']Cant get her to stop asking why do you want 6 basses when you can only play one at a time tho. Bless :huh:[/quote]

Have you considered the "well you've only got 2 feet why do you need 28 pairs of shoes" argument? I tried it once...won't make that mistake twice. :)

In spite of there supposedly being a "one in, one out" (for instruments) policy in effect, I do believe my wife has surrendered to my ongoing GAS...

She understands what makes a good 'un (sonically speaking)
I generally try to drag her along when making purchasing decisions. She's probably more objective than I am!!

I get off pretty well- my gf's dad has been playing guitar since he was about 18 so she's used to a) the noise and b ) instruments all over the place :) Oh and the serial purchasing of multiple guitars. Also makes for an ace relationship with my prospective father in law!

[quote]She understands what makes a good 'un (sonically speaking)
I generally try to drag her along when making purchasing decisions. She's probably more objective than I am!![/quote]

I do the same- she's more objective and very good at telling if something sounds good or bad. Unfortunately shes the same way with my playing... I soon know if im having an off night!

[quote name='Maxcat' post='203384' date='May 21 2008, 12:02 AM']so long as everything I buy costs £100 (honest darling) shes happy[/quote]

+1. too true!

luckily mrs physio doesn't do ebay/look at my bass magazines, so she's blissfully unaware of real cost (shhh :huh:).

she wonders why i've got/need more than 1 bass......"you can can only play one at a time, so why have any more" etc......so i just put her shoes/handbags into the discussion.....instant silence!! :)

Edited by kdphysio

My g/f thinks it's cool (I just asked her) but moans about the cost. She's usually (eventually) pretty supportive of my purchases but likes to dish out postured disgruntlement in advance of said purchases. I've learnt to eat humble pie for a day or two along with pointing out much more expensive alternatives that I could have gone for. :) Now that we have a young daughter she doesn't come to all my gigs anymore but i think that the times that she does manage to come along she gets a kick out of seeing me play and likes being one of the W.A.Gs. I've been learning slap lately and she has been full of encouragement coz I'm back listening to rhcp instead of growly rock all the time. One thing though, before I was a riff focused bassist I was a guitarist and in those days I used to write songs... about her - she misses that.

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='202591' date='May 20 2008, 08:18 AM']my mrs doesn't mind one, it's all the others that she has a problem with.[/quote]

Hah! Mine too! If I buy another one I'd have to get rid of one - and I only have 2 (and a Yamaha Pacifica)! Been married 18 years this year - so she doesn't mind it that much really. Just getting fed up all with leads and 2 amps in the study.

She used to play guitar years ago afore we met so decided since our eldest isn't using hers any more she'd have a go again. It's a classical and she couldn't get on with the neck - so I suggested she might like to try the Pacifica - and lo and behold she loves it! Looking forward to jammin' in the evenings when she's a bit more advanced!

Edited by FJ1200

[quote name='ead' post='203460' date='May 21 2008, 08:16 AM']Have you considered the "well you've only got 2 feet why do you need 28 pairs of shoes" argument? I tried it once...won't make that mistake twice. :)[/quote]And I am told that "Well, why do you need 20 huge skirts when you can only squeeze your arse into one at a time?" is to be avoided too :huh::lol:

[quote name='Rich' post='204260' date='May 22 2008, 01:27 PM']And I am told that "Well, why do you need 20 huge skirts when you can only squeeze your arse into one at a time?" is to be avoided too :):lol:[/quote]
I wish I'd read your post yesterday. Also remember not to ask "Were you lying then or are you lying now?"

Edited by johnnylager