Why become a member? ×

Serious (and I do mean serious) problems with musicman neck...

NURZE

Any manufacturer should stand by the quality of their instruments new or used. This is a problem with the materials used in making this bass at the original stage. Unfortunately you selling your other mm's wouldn't affect them in any way. The only thing you can do is hassle them every day until you get taken seriously. I'm sure there must be trading standards that apply to your situation.

[quote name='NURZE' timestamp='1360002640' post='1963382']
Thank you for the reply.

Appreciate it... i'm just really disappointed.

They were my fav bass company, but now they're failing me...
[/quote]

I had a lovely Warwick, sold it, and bought and sold loads of basses in the space of a couple of years. I ended up going back to Warwick, they are brilliant in every way, and pretty much every bass feels the same, the QC and support is remarkable, something sadly lacking in so many manufacturers.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1360003003' post='1963393']

I had a lovely Warwick, sold it, and bought and sold loads of basses in the space of a couple of years. I ended up going back to Warwick, they are brilliant in every way, and pretty much every bass feels the same, the QC and support is remarkable, something sadly lacking in so many manufacturers.
[/quote]

Have you seen the near identicle warwick thread?

[quote name='NURZE' timestamp='1360004373' post='1963437']
Used, but it was fine then.

It started to "bend" in the last year. Impossible to fight, and there's nothing I could do ...
[/quote]

Sorry to say it, but this isn't EBMM's problem.

When it comes to buying new instruments, your contract is with the shop... his contract is with the international distributor... their contract is with the manufacturer. If a fault develops with a new instrument, you can claim from the shop you bought it under consumer protection laws. In the UK this would be the Sale of Goods Act 1979. If a fault develops within the first six years of ownership (and it's not damage caused by you), the shop you bought it from is obliged to put things right (repair, replacement or refund, case by case obviously). It doesn't sound like you're in the UK, but there are similar laws in the EU.

If you buy second hand in a private sale, I'm afraid it's caveat emptor.

I would personally take EBMM's offer to sell you a new neck.

Just curious, what's the serial number?

I would like to think this is going to have a fairly happy ending. Even though i loathe the near tyrannical way the company is sometimes portrayed i am in the market for a Sterling or Stingray so the outcome of this interests me.

Hopefully i am not getting this too wrong but didn't somebody around here have some issues with Musicman last year?

He was after a Stingray with certain specs and one had to be freshly made at EBMM HQ and sent over. The bass that turned up was an old neck and body just slapped together and was slightly used looking. The UK distribution blamed Musicman and vice versa. After calls and emails it was eventually sorted (i hope)

It seems like everything i get the urge to buy one i see a story like this and it puts me off.

This is very disappointing service. Very disappointing for you as well. Still EBMM must be satisfied because they stand by their products firmly. How much does a replacement neck for a serious (and weird) fault cost. How much do lost sales and reputations cost. Strike 2 on basses for me. First was R*kr for their attitude towards s/h copy sales. Second is EBMM since I have to take a big chance if I buy s/h, no support with a major fault. What a shame I am the sort of customer they needed - some disposable income.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1360008264' post='1963542']
What a shame I am the sort of customer they needed - some disposable income.
[/quote]

If you buy second hand, no, you are not the customer they need, because you are not their customer... the sale was already made to someone else previously.
But although I would not expect them to look after you with basic wear and tear, if a fault develops that suggests a problem in the manufacture, I would expect a serious company to take care of that. That is good for businesses, not having disgruntled users posting their bad experiences on internet.

I'm very disappointed at this outcome.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1360006635' post='1963495']

I would personally take EBMM's offer to sell you a new neck.
[/quote]

Personally, I'd fit it with a Status neck.....at least that won't go wonky.

I think that MM's response is acceptable but it's just that some manufacturers do go a lot further to look after their customers even if they are 2nd owners. For example I had great support from Overwater on a used bass a few years back, it's things like this that make this MMs response in this case look wanting.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1360008588' post='1963549']
If you buy second hand, no, you are not the customer they need, because you are not their customer... the sale was already made to someone else previously.
[/quote]

The s/h market is just as important. It is the same as cars and houses Poor residuals, low purchase rate, poor new market. In 41 years of bass playing I have never seen a neck like this. How much does a replacement neck cost EBMM? 30USD? I form my own judgement about companies and their support with what appears to be a faulty product from manufacture. I spend my money accordingly on new or s/h kit, it is about their attitude to customer service and product reputation.

Edited by 3below