Why become a member? ×

Ear plugs

Damonjames

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1359031487' post='1948670']
I use the Alpine Musicsafe earplugs, and they're awesome for the money. Come with a carrying case and a choice of three different attenuation inserts, plus a spare earplug. I can't gig without them now, it sounds like a right racket!
[/quote]

+1 - have been using these for a couple of years now, good plugs IMO.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1367736841' post='2068777']
Most of the attack, definition and pitch information from bass is in the mid and high frequencies. Foam plugs will make the issue worse.

In ear monitoring will probably be the only way to go if you've lost those frequencies.

If you sing then you need the 'vented' ER plugs. They should allow the air to move around when you move your jaw and prevent the plugs from moving about.
[/quote]

In ear monitoring..... I like the sound of this, I've got a decent wired headphone amp we used in a cabaret band a few years back with shure ear pieces. If this works I will go wireless :)

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1359031487' post='1948670']
I use the Alpine Musicsafe earplugs, and they're awesome for the money. Come with a carrying case and a choice of three different attenuation inserts, plus a spare earplug. I can't gig without them now, it sounds like a right racket!
[/quote]
+ 1 they're fabulous!

Don't skimp on hearing protection, you can't buy new ears!
Also, how can you afford to spend hundreds of bucks on basses, amps, cabs & effects and not want to pay to hear it all properly?
Save up for the fitted ones!

Edited by Bolo

Some great info in here and not wanting to start another thread, I hope you don't mind if I go a little off-topic!

Long story short: I have noisy upstairs neighbours who works shifts so come in and thump around between 11pm and 3am. Short-term solution until I sort it out with the landlord will be ear plugs so that I can sleep :) Will any of the ones mentioned above help me out with this? (And would double up as protection at loud gigs of course.) They'd need to be safe and comfortable to sleep in, and hearing my alarm (my phone, placed next to my pillow) would be a bonus!

The Noizezz ones appeal as they come with different sizes, but I also like the idea of being able to choose which filter to use on the Alpine Music Safe ones.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1368471078' post='2077514']
Some great info in here and not wanting to start another thread, I hope you don't mind if I go a little off-topic!

Long story short: I have noisy upstairs neighbours who works shifts so come in and thump around between 11pm and 3am. Short-term solution until I sort it out with the landlord will be ear plugs so that I can sleep :) Will any of the ones mentioned above help me out with this? (And would double up as protection at loud gigs of course.) They'd need to be safe and comfortable to sleep in, and hearing my alarm (my phone, placed next to my pillow) would be a bonus!

The Noizezz ones appeal as they come with different sizes, but I also like the idea of being able to choose which filter to use on the Alpine Music Safe ones.
[/quote]

I would have thought that simple foam ones would be more than sufficient for this purpose, seeing as I don't suppose you're wanting to preserve the fidelity of the sounds you're trying to block out?

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1368471496' post='2077517']
I would have thought that simple foam ones would be more than sufficient for this purpose, seeing as I don't suppose you're wanting to preserve the fidelity of the sounds you're trying to block out?
[/quote]
I'd agree with that. Plastic filtered plugs like the ER20s are seriously uncomfortable if you try to sleep in them, especially if you sleep with the side of your head against the pillow. I tried this when camping too near the dub tent at a festival! Foam ones work much better if you're sleeping with them in, though you may miss your alarm.

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1368708799' post='2080440']
Hook up the alarm to your bass amp.
[/quote]

You'd think that my neighbours would be nice and quiet having seen me move in and carry an Ashdown 2x12 stack, Laney practice amp, 6 basses, 2 lead guitars, a midi keyboard, a pair of Tannoy E11s and hi-fi and and a pair of studio monitors into the flat.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1368870129' post='2082416']
Brother, there is no such thing as cheap and good.Please value your ears and buy moulded ones with a decent db drop.
[/quote]

+1.

It always amazes me how people dont mind dishing out lots of money on other "accessories", and neglect
to buy, or scrimp on hearing protection. :blink: