Why become a member? ×

Copper Foil Tape on Ebay

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1359228231' post='1951982']
Was it the type with conductive adhesive? It saves you having to solder across joints.
[/quote]

I'm looking for some of this... any idea where to get it from?
Most places do not indicate whether the adhesive is conductive or not...

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1359502688' post='1955988']
I bought some cheap slug tape off eBay for about £1.50 and it seems to be conductive.
[/quote]The adhesive on slug tape isn't generally conductive. Stick it to your plant pots instead. That's what it's for. wd music, allparts, axetec etc. Soldering onto copper tape which is stuck to wood isn't always straight forward. The wood sucks the heat up see. One 12"x12" sheet of the real deal should do a few guitars for under a tenner.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1359503138' post='1955995']
The adhesive on slug tape isn't generally conductive. Stick it to your plant pots instead. That's what it's for. wd music, allparts, axetec etc. Soldering onto copper tape which is stuck to wood isn't always straight forward. The wood sucks the heat up see. One 12"x12" sheet of the real deal should do a few guitars for under a tenner.
[/quote]

Well, I used it to shield a tele---didn't need to solder onto it, my multimeter reckoned it was conductive, and the shielding worked. Maybe I just got lucky...

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1359504330' post='1956009']
Well, I used it to shield a tele---didn't need to solder onto it, my multimeter reckoned it was conductive, and the shielding worked. Maybe I just got lucky...
[/quote]Yea that's all good. I have to use the 'proper' stuff and it's only a few quid more and saves time in case of leccy proof glue.

Soldering onto copper tape which is stuck to wood isn't always straight forward. The wood sucks the heat up see. O
[/quote]

Not foujnd that an issue at all, copper sucks up head much faster and that's the thing that needs to get hot.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1359504514' post='1956014']
Yea that's all good. I have to use the 'proper' stuff and it's only a few quid more and saves time in case of leccy proof glue.
[/quote]

Well, someone who makes guitars probably needs to do a slightly better job than me shielding my own guitar!

I suspect if I were building guitars regularly, though, that it might just be easier to use copper paint?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GUITAR-PICKUP-COPPER-FOIL-30mm-x-4m-SHIELDING-SCREENING-TAPE-CONDUCTIVE-ADHESIVE-/271136702875?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item3f2101c19b"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GUITAR-PICKUP-COPPER-FOIL-30mm-x-4m-SHIELDING-SCREENING-TAPE-CONDUCTIVE-ADHESIVE-/271136702875?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item3f2101c19b[/url]

I've used this seller a few times.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1359843190' post='1961184']
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GUITAR-PICKUP-COPPER-FOIL-30mm-x-4m-SHIELDING-SCREENING-TAPE-CONDUCTIVE-ADHESIVE-/271136702875?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item3f2101c19b"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f2101c19b[/url]

[/quote]

Great, I'll try that.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1359843190' post='1961184']
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GUITAR-PICKUP-COPPER-FOIL-30mm-x-4m-SHIELDING-SCREENING-TAPE-CONDUCTIVE-ADHESIVE-/271136702875?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item3f2101c19b"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f2101c19b[/url]

[/quote]

That looks good, thanks!

The adhesive on slug tape isn't generally conductive. Stick it to your plant pots instead. That's what it's for. wd music, allparts, axetec etc. Soldering onto copper tape which is stuck to wood isn't always straight forward. The wood sucks the heat up see. One 12"x12" sheet of the real deal should do a few guitars for under a tenner.
[/quote]

Actually it's a pretty good idea to use slug tape on guitar. It has to be conductive and it is, the capacity (measured in farads) is more less the same, so it doesn't make any difference at all, both do the job as they should no complaint on slug tape comparing to sheets and glue is ok. Use whatever is easier/cheaper to find/use.

Graphite paint is not that good actually, has bigger capacity than copper shielding.

Edited by JazzBassFan

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1359936710' post='1962400']
Copper foil can be done in 5 mins, graphite paint has to dry and possibly have another coat.....
[/quote]Exactly. Also copper foil looks cool and very neat if you use the large sheets and cut to fit. Bugger faffing around with paint or 1" wide strips of slug tape. I reiterate. Spend a few quid on the right materials and you get a better result every time. All the big guns pride themselves on using copper foil. Look at any fodera and the screening is cut from sheets by hand using scissors and 'exacto' knife y'all. Yeehaarr! :)

If you put coppr foil or tape uner the pots, it will be earthed by the pots surely, so theres no need to solder to it.

As for slugs, I tried wire and it didnt work, even tried putting a slug inside a circle of it, but it still got out. This year I,ll be trying 2 wires half an inch apart with an aa battey connected between. anybody tried that one ?

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1360004378' post='1963438']
As for slugs, I tried wire and it didnt work, even tried putting a slug inside a circle of it, but it still got out. This year I,ll be trying 2 wires half an inch apart with an aa battey connected between. anybody tried that one ?
[/quote]

No, but I want a link to the youtube video