Why become a member? ×

Reccomend me a new 5 string

TDM

I want to buy a new bass next month, after I finish my exams.

Here is an ideal list of stuff I'd like, I'm not expecting everything in 1 bass, but as many as possible would be good.

Maple or Ebony board, with anything except boring white dots
Neck through preferred, but not really a huge issue
Active Preamp (Preferably 3 band)
Not a Basswood body
5 strings
Decent hardware
No weird shapes
Good B string
2 pickups- HH or HS
At least 4 tuners on the top side of the headstock
Figured top
Matching headstock veneer
Carved heel and good upper fret access
Medium string spacing
Comes with a case
Medium thickness neck, Jazz bass thickness or bigger

I play almost everything, I sometimes do some big band/jazz stuff, and I play in a metal band (think Pantera, Metallica, Iced Earth, heavy DT stuff etc.) I also like playing funk by myself. So I'd like something that is versatile, ie. ranging from bright slap bass to growly, punchy metal tones (I really like Rex Brown's tone actually)

Here is what I can think of so far:

A Yamaha BB series, maybe one of the old ones with the dual humbuckers
Old Peavey USA series of some sort
Old German Warwick Corvette/Streamer standard
Lakland 55-01/55-02
Ibanez SR505/BTB405/ATK
Spector of some sort
SX 5 string Jazz with upgrades (I really like black binding+blocks on a maple board, and would be willing to sacrifice the other features for it :))
Schecter of some sort, I played this Jazz shaped with a flame top and EMGs at Sound Control a few years ago which was really nice, I really should have bought it.

Anyone got any other suggestions? I'd probably spend up to a max of £500, and I know I can get most of the basses in the list above for under that (A 55-02 will probably be over though), since I can buy used.

Edited by thedonutman

Agreed - a Warwick would cut through in the metal band and funk it up for you, likewise a Spector (though I didn't like the Euros I have played much), the Lakland would have less cut and a bit more of a Fender-type sound. AFAIK you won't find an available bass in this country with everything you specify unless you get it custom built, and tbh with such a long list of requirements that would be your best bet. Open the wallet though :)

Hey, [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11325&hl=spector"]What about something like this?[/url]

I've finally decided to take the plunge and get a GWB1 and get it fretted, but its no doubt going to take some serious funds. So prob gonna have to let this go.

PM me if your interested.

If you like Rex Brown's tone, then +1 for any high end Spector. Jackson would be worth checking out too, this one in particular www.jacksonguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=2900504568. Very metal :brow: Not a 5 string, but you could drop d?

Edited by metalmickey

I think you've got some good choices on your list. The Warwicks and Ibanez are nice. I've got the 5 string ATK at the moment. Very nice, but isn't the actual pickup configuration you're looking for.

If you can find one, I would also try an Ibanez RD905FM. I don't think Ibanez make them any more, but I used to have the 4 string version. HS configuration, mahogany with flamed top, SD Basslines pickups - they crop up on ebay from time to time, and are excellent basses.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, like I said, I know that expecting all of those boxes to be ticked would just be wishful thinking :) In reality, I'm not actually too bothered about the pickup config, as long as it can provide the sounds I'm after.

Are the "Standard" series Warwicks any good though? I've read some stuff over at TB about people saying how they weren't on par with the other German Warwicks.

I'm seriously considering a Spector now, I've played a 4 string Euro and a 5 string Rebop before, and they were awesome. Too bad the only places I've seen them are at Thomann and Sound Control.

Looking at the [i]exact[/i] list of requirements, you'll struggle to tick ALL those boxes.

I, too, would've said "Warwick" until I got to the 4+1 tuner arrangement.
The Maple or Ebony 'board also rules out most Warwicks, as does the matched headstock.

If you're prepared to compromise on some areas, you could broaden your choices to include G&L and Musicman (Tributes and SUBs, too)

[b][quote name='thedonutman' post='202054' date='May 19 2008, 01:05 PM']I'm seriously considering a Spector now, I've played a 4 string Euro and a 5 string Rebop before, and they were awesome. Too bad the only places I've seen them are at Thomann and Sound Control.[/quote][/b]

Have a search and give a shout out to the Spector guys, you never know, they might offer you a demo if you are local.....

[quote name='The Burpster' post='201909' date='May 19 2008, 07:47 AM']You might have to spend more but this ticks all the boxes....

[url="http://www.cloverbasses.com/index.php?id=9&bass=11"]http://www.cloverbasses.com/index.php?id=9&bass=11[/url][/quote]

I was going to suggest that. Still haven't got my hands on one yet though.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='202158' date='May 19 2008, 02:46 PM']The Clover does Alex...... :)[/quote]

Great!

Thanks for that. :huh:
The Apeiron h4 / h5 have just triggered a monumental GAS attack.
To make matters worse, BassDirect (whose site I'd not previously visited) also sell Vigier.... NOOOOoooooo!

[quote name='metaltime' post='202423' date='May 19 2008, 08:55 PM']what about a sandberg[/quote]

I'd love to have a Sandberg or a Clover, as they would be almost exactly what I want, but they are too expensive, and the chances of me finding one used with the stuff I want are slim.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='202340' date='May 19 2008, 06:01 PM']Great!

Thanks for that. :huh:
The Apeiron h4 / h5 have just triggered a monumental GAS attack.
To make matters worse, BassDirect (whose site I'd not previously visited) also sell Vigier.... NOOOOoooooo![/quote]

tee hee...... :)

I could recommend two 5-ers - the Lakland 55-01 - which comes from the more classic Fender background - the neck pickup does a very good impersonation of a P-bass - whilst you can dial in the bridge and the treble eq for more growl and a modern Marcus Miller style slap sound.

The Cort/Elrick RB5 is more modern sounding still - has the figure on both headstock and body - but sadly does not have four tuners on the top.

Here is a few piccies of the RB5 from a quick rummage on t'internet

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/pcurtain/page5/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/pcurtain/page5/[/url]

Both the 55-01 and RB5 are made in the same factory I believe - build quality on both are excellent.

Low and behold - wouldn't you know it - I might just have two such basses up for grabs - the coincedence is astounding !

Good luck in your quest........

Bill

Sorry about the shameless plug - I suddenly have GAS that I didn't have a week ago and so need to let go of a few basses to pay for a more expensive one.

The chap in the Elrick RB5 photo isn't me by the way.

Blimey - I wouldn't agrue with him if he fluffed up the key change in "Let There Be Rock"........