Why become a member? ×

weres the bass?

thunderider

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1358719002' post='1944112']
does indeed! I had the first album(particularly What You Know) in mind, very different tone, and very trebley compared to Sun and other recordings with a low-end-heavy tone, say Simonon on Guns Of Brixton.
[/quote]
Indeed. Loved the tone in both albums, to be honest.

Have to say the Two Door CInema bass tone on Tourist History (first album) instantly struck me as superb. Best I've heard for a while. I hate too much mushy bass.
Personally, I like to hear the bass, and which note it's playing, rather than feel it.
Although obviously I do have limits on how middly or trebly. It can definitely be overdone.
COnversely to the OP, I feel the current trend in most popular music is actually to have too much low/sub bass and too little mids in the bass tone (whether it be a bass guitar or a synth). THis is much more apparent at gigs than on recorded music.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358687235' post='1943271']
No, I like to vibrate people's guts. I think too many bass players just don't dial in enough bottom end! :)
[/quote]

It doesn't matter what YOU like, you're not the one paying for you to be there. Have you tried asking the audiance, and the guy paying for your services?
I know I've been to gigs where I've got pi$$ed off with some guy on stage still stiring my beer after I'd drunk it.

Besides, I bet you'd also be quick to knock other bassists for playing all routes and 5ths. Well if it's too low and you use distortion it doesn't matter what you play, nobody can hear the difference in the notes, so you may as well play routes and 5ths

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1358839770' post='1945745']
It doesn't matter what YOU like, you're not the one paying for you to be there. Have you tried asking the audiance, and the guy paying for your services?[/quote]

It most certainly DOES matter what I like. I've developed my sound over nearly forty years to work best with the band I'm in and the music I play - so DON'T be telling me that it doesn't matter what I like, and DON'T be telling me that it doesn't matter what I play either, thanks very much. :mellow:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1358863812' post='1946201']
Brilliant - how long have you been saving that one up for the perfect moment. :lol:
Dave[/quote]

I used it as a wind up a while ago on a Slade site; Dave Hill being known to most as "H".
IIRC it was originally about H from "Steps"??