Why become a member? ×

Slap, slap crap

niceguyhomer

After turning my nose up at slap for as long as I can remember, I've finally succumbed to the disease.

Only trouble is, after 2 weeks, I'm still crap and making slow progress.

Yes, I know it's gonna take a lot longer than that and it's all about practice and watching Youtube vids but how long will it be before I become sufficiently proficient to slap a bit at a gig?

I'm not talking Mark King here just a few fills here and there - is it weeks, months, years?

How was it for you?

Any tips or encouragement welcomed.

I only ever slap for fun, as yet have never needed to in a live situation. I do enjoy slapping and it's the thump bit that I found really foreign but I slowly got my brain into Love Games. Stuart Clayton Level 42 transcriptions set me on the right path that watching utube clips could never achieve. It's really all about keeping your right hand relaxed and then learning not to use it when you thump with your left. If you try and play Lessons in Love, which is a simple enough line without a relaxed right hand, I very much doubt if you will last as far as the vocal entry. Try slapping from the elbow and not from the wrist. Also I should mention that I play a V string so the wrap around approach is not possible for me, as far as Hot Water is concerned, I find that it is by no means Marks more difficult lines. And I am honestly not that good. A nice low action will help with the playing and a new set of strings will help with your tone.

Edited by wal4string

[quote name='danthevan' timestamp='1358777799' post='1944788']
On a side note / thread hijack sort of thing..........

Do you leave all the amp settings and the likes the same as for regular finger plucking or do you crank the gain or anything up?
[/quote]

I am fortunate enough to play a Status S2 and for me all I have to do is flick a toggle switch and adjust the mids.

Edited by wal4string

[quote name='danthevan' timestamp='1358777799' post='1944788']
On a side note / thread hijack sort of thing..........

Do you leave all the amp settings and the likes the same as for regular finger plucking or do you crank the gain or anything up?
[/quote]
I never change anything other than the technique.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1358813016' post='1945660']
I never change anything other than the technique.
[/quote]
+1 My Roscoe through my rig with my technique sounds absolutely immense either slapped or fingerstyle, I have no need to change anything either. Its brilliant too, because it means I can mix the two techniques really nicely in a single bass line.

[quote name='wal4string' timestamp='1358813806' post='1945669']
Your slap sound must be really naff then.
[/quote]

No you're wrong, whats really naff is either your kit, your technique, your ability to make them sound good together, or your ability to switch from one to the other quickly if you rely on some form of eq, gain or preamp change to go from one to the other (IME) ;)

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1358846954' post='1945830']
+1 My Roscoe through my rig with my technique sounds absolutely immense either slapped or fingerstyle, I have no need to change anything either. Its brilliant too, because it means I can mix the two techniques really nicely in a single bass line.

No you're wrong, whats really naff is either your kit, your technique, your ability to make them sound good together, or your ability to switch from one to the other quickly if you rely on some form of eq, gain or preamp change to go from one to the other (IME) ;)
[/quote]

I would definitely agree with this- inexperienced slap bassists need to change their EQ to sound good, more experienced players dont. Its all in the fingers ( technique ) as the man said. And dont be rude pal- one players naff sound is another mans fantasy.

Back on topic, I've been into slapping for almost as long as I've played bass, I do it my way now, which is a mixture of loads of different ways of doing it and has elements of all sorts of far better players than me that I've begged borrowed and stolen to get where I am. I can do what I need to to play what I want to, if there was a stylistic sub-genre of slap that I enjoy the most and therefore tend towards, its the Larry Graham to Meshel Ndegeocello groove orientated rather than flash for the sake of it thing (I can double thump really badly, so I dont really ever do it - ignore it for a year or two of slapping yourself at least!).

I think you can get the basics down in a few weeks, work on keeping the first joint of your thumb (where it joins your hand) loose (even though the thumb is 'cocked'), and slapping by rotating your forearm rather than your wrist.

If you put your hand in the shape that Kenny Everret's preacher hand is (the pointy index finger ting) but really relaxed, if you rotate your hand so that the index finger is in the middle of an arc described by the movement of your thumb, then thats the right action. In order to sound the note though your thumb must bounce of the string, having struck the string with the hard bit of bone in the last knuckle joint. Think of a piano hammer struck cleanly, it flies straight back off the string. You dont need to strike the string hard at all, this isnt anywhere near the physically monstrous activity that some players make it out to be, and again if you want to be able to swap between fingerstyle and slapping with impunity its necessary to get the slap to have the same volume and a good fat tone without mucking around with any electronics, its in the action of your hand more than anything else (took me years to get this right by the way, Alain Caron is [i]the[/i] man for making this work).

Keep relaxed and just play 8th notes and go up and down the strings just trying to get an even slap note going. It will take about a week of nightly 10 or 15 minutes practices to get that really even and relaxed I reckon. Once you have this try slap, left hand hammer on; slap left hand hammer on etc. Keep it even, and work at a smooth relaxed action.

Popping I do with index or middle finger, again its remarkably relaxed, there is no real sense of pulling at the string, as my popping finger gets into positon the action of cocking my thumb for the next slap (that rotating wrist again) pulls the popping finger up through the string, which lifts up just enough to hit the frets when it releases, any more than that and there will be a volume difference between slaps and pops. Learn to pop all the strings, eventually it should be easy to thump and pop the same string (work up to that though!)

Like everything it will just take time and a little perseverance to get there, but it will come...

I don't c[quote name='wal4string' timestamp='1358813806' post='1945669']
Your slap sound must be really naff then.
[/quote]
[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1358816225' post='1945692']
Not at all.
Why must it be 'really naff' just because I don't change anything?
[/quote]

I don't change anything either, in fact my amp (Markbass LM2) is usually set flat.

It's a technique thing, I know people at college who slap P basses strung with flats, and they still sound fine.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1358816225' post='1945692']
Not at all.
Why must it be 'really naff' just because I don't change anything?
[/quote]

I was actually joking. If you had read my earlier post you would read that I only flick a switch and adjust the mids. Sound is a personal thing, If I can't get the sound that I want from my bass as is then I also leave it to technique. If I did adjust my amp EQ then no doubt the sound man would soon change it anyway It is for this very same reason I don't use pedals..

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1358898808' post='1946962']
I don't c

I don't change anything either, in fact my amp (Markbass LM2) is usually set flat.

It's a technique thing, I know people at college who slap P basses strung with flats, and they still sound fine.
[/quote]

My P bass with flats is my favourite bass to "slap" (yeah I'm rubbish but it's fun and sounds great)

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1358898808' post='1946962']
I don't c

[/quote]

I have been seen to do it with a fretless p bass strung with flats. Sounded fine as well. :)

Slap is something I can do well, but not necessarily enjoy playing. I get bored really quickly when I slap and I don't bust a gut to introduce it into my every day playing. I don't hate it and I enjoy listening to other guys playing slap. It's a skill worth knowing how to do as it teaches you how to play tightly against fundamental rhythm patterns and how you can become percussive within that yourself.

I made a conscience effort years ago to vary the way that I approach it and not play the 'disco' octave kinda way all the time. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I got very tired of that after a few years. I developed my slap style around triplet timings and played the II's and III's with 5th, 7ths and 9ths instead of the octaves. It's a fun way of playing and it enables me to move around the fretboard a bit more freely. So, I experimented with lot of different rhythms and shapes for a while and the result sounded more musical to me whilst still being very percussive.

Slap is a technique that is gaining in age as we have heard lots of players using it for over 40yrs and it has predictabilities and criticisms. Even though I don't use it much when I work I do still try to keep on top of it. There are other techniques I play to improve my dexterity as a player even though I might rarely perform or record with them. For example, I like tapping and I enjoy getting creative with that. But, I can't remember one time in the past 10yrs when I have done any tapping on a recording or on stage. However, I always approach learning new playing techniques as something that improves my musical ability (mentally) rather than my musical performance. If an opportunity arises whereby I can apply those techniques then at least I have something in the basement that I can drag out and nail it.

Guest bassman7755

I think that slapping with a flat e.q. will tend to show up any deficiencies in your gear hence why so many people cut the mids. You just need to have plenty of headroom (and/or a decent compressor) and strings in decent condition IME.

In my opinion, there are many ways of slapping - try different positions, intensities. Watch carefully the players that get the sound you're after - the classic Fender-ish slap sound is very different from MK's. Some play with an almost parallel or perpendicular thumb, pop with the index or middle finger, etc. Find what feels more natural for you. The left hand is essential, as it is continuously muting and unmuting the strings, but the overall 'feel' is also key. Do not focus on playing any notes - just get the rhythm first. Try to get a 'bouncing' feeling so that the thumb bounces back a bit after each hit - on or around the end of the fretboard.

I don't agree with what others say about EQ or gear being fairly irrelevant. There are bass guitars that make it very difficult to slap, and if you are trying to learn it may be confusing as you will blame it on your technique. String spacing and nut width may make it easier or harder - as you may hit more than one string unwillingly if it's too narrow, or have to move too much if it's too wide. String tension will affect your touch. If you have several basses, try them all. If not, go to a shop and try several - expensive ones. Chances are you'll find a neck profile that'll make it easier, and start learning things about the specs that are good for you. Fresh strings and light gauges will help, low action will allow you hit softer. Scooping the mids may increase your confidence too, as obviously you will hear more of the lows and highs and hear less string 'clank'. A good bass guitar will sound better sooner. There will be a time when you will be able to slap decently on (almost) any bass guitar - not now.

Get a drum machine. Most lessons you'll find online will start with alternate slap and pop patterns..But sometimes it is easier to start only slapping: once you get the thumb going, try to do runs and simple phrases on the E or A string only. Progressively incorporate popping on the D or G (octaves is what we all started with) without losing the rhythm.

Don't despair - I've found progress sometimes comes unexpectedly overnight - you will be enlightened one day trying this or that and suddenly find that it sounds much better and/or it is easier.

Hope it helps.

I've used tapping on stage as well as fingerstyle, chordal strumming, slapping, patting, ocatve slapping, harmonics, 'false' harmonics, even in the same piece.

As long as it grooves and there is a musical reason to do it I couldn't care less what the technique is I need to use to achieve my goals.