Why become a member? ×

amp/cab combination opinions

paul torch

I'm thinking of putting a rig together.

Obviously I'm going to check this out soundwise before I commit but I was wondering if anyone would foresee any issues.

I thinking of getting an Ampeg PF350 and pairing it with a TC Electronics BC210 and then adding another BC210 at a later date.

The reason I'm thinking about the BC210 rather than the Ampeg Portaflex series is mainly a space issue as I live in a small flat with my wife and daughter. I would therefore prefer the vertical alignment setup with the BC210s.

Does anyone think there maybe any impedance or power issues?

Cheers,

Paul

Edited by paul torch

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1358634814' post='1942728']
Does anyone think there maybe any impedance or power issues?
[/quote]

Can't see why there would be. Assuming each TC cab has an impedance of 8 ohms, two of them would give a total of 4 ohms - which would allow your amp to produce its "full" power. The four speakers will easily be able to handle the amp's output. Equally, one of them should be more than capable of handling the power of the amp at 8 ohms...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1358635363' post='1942736']
Can't see why there would be. Assuming each TC cab has an impedance of 8 ohms, two of them would give a total of 4 ohms - which would allow your amp to produce its "full" power. The four speakers will easily be able to handle the amp's output. Equally, one of them should be more than capable of handling the power of the amp at 8 ohms...

Why do you think there [i]might[/i] be a problem?
[/quote]

Like Conan said, there shouldn't be any issues re watts & ohms.

If the PF 350 put's out 350 watts at 4Ω, then each cab will get a maximum of 175w. They're capable of dissipating upto 250w, so there's no issues there (the amp puts the power to the speakers, nothing comes from the speakers back to the amp unless there's a short).
But, please ignore the watts. If it does sound bad at any point (not in a personal taste thing & more of a farting sound), then do turn either the volume or the bass down. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358637075' post='1942763']
A PF350 will drive 2 X 250W cabs no problem, but for the little extra cash I'd get the PF500 and give myself a bit more headroom.
[/quote]
I was thinking of the PF500 as there are couple for sale on here at a reasonable price. I guess I just preferred the simpler layout of the 350: gain bass mid treble volume.

Check out youtube for The Bass Whisperers review of these. The 350 seems more traditional SVT, whereas the 500 has a lot more eq options, though always sounds like an Ampeg. The 350 will have no problems with the two cabs mentioned. As with anything, if you hear it farting/blurbing, back off of some gain, or lows, other than that should be fine. I`d make sure you like the sound of the BC cabs though, as although they have tweeters, they are permanently on, no off/volume control on them I believe.

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1358637421' post='1942777']
I was thinking of the PF500 as there are couple for sale on here at a reasonable price. I guess I just preferred the simpler layout of the 350: gain bass mid treble volume.[/quote]

The compressor and the frequency selector are definitely worth having.

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1358640775' post='1942826']
Cheers for the advice Lozz.
Re: The tweeter issue, is there another cab that you would recommend that doesn't have this? I would still prefer the 2x10 vertical stacking option.
[/quote]

Well something to possibly look at here would be is a reputable amp-tech could put in an on/off switch on them? Re other 210s, well the ones that have impressed me most from hearing other bassists use them are Markbass. Not cheap, but sound amazing.

That`s probably the way I look at gear now - if I`ve heard someone else get a cracking sound I like from something, that`s my recommendation - reviews can only go so far, but my ears should make the choice. And trying cabs/amps in isolation in a music shop can give a fair idea, but it`s in the mix where it counts. So what local bassists get a great sound, then check out their cabs would be a good way to go.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1358645097' post='1942873']
Any 210 cab can be stacked vertically so you don't have to be limit yourself to TC cabs.

If you can spare an extra 3" you could also look at 112 cabs. My 112 cabs are the same width as my vertical 210 (18") but they are 3" deeper.
[/quote]

ooh, I hadn't thought about a pair of 112s. do you gig with this set-up? if so how do you get on volume wise?

i'm afraid i can't help with the Hartke cabs but have you considered the Ampeg SVT210AV ? a light, affordable 2x10 that's designed for vertical alignment, similar price to the tc cabs and any store with the pf350 in stock is very likely to have the svt210av in stock too. 200w @ 8ohms per cab should pair nicely with the head and they look fantastic. they were very high on my try out list before my wife gae me permission to blow my budget and order my midgets.

i'm pretty sure there are a few guys using svt210av's on here but i can't remember who they are!

Matt

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1359018816' post='1948433']
Does anyone have any experience or opinions of the Hartke 210 TP?

I've seen a pretty good deal on one of these but it means that I can't try before I buy.
[/quote]

Not used one of those, but did have a 210XL, and my impressions were it was a bit light on lows.

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1359023385' post='1948507']
Cheers Matt.

I've done a search in the for sale section but can't seem to see any there.
[/quote]

i must apologise! i've just had a look and there's only one available at the moment (and they'd rather sell with the head)
i'm sure that last time i looked there were about 5 SVT210AV's up for grabs.

this is the only one i can find at the moment

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/196875-ampeg-micro-vr-svt-210av-cab/page__p__1944593__hl__ampeg__fromsearch__1#entry1944593"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/196875-ampeg-micro-vr-svt-210av-cab/page__p__1944593__hl__ampeg__fromsearch__1#entry1944593[/url]

Matt