Why become a member? ×

Interesting new Warwick amp

LukeFRC

There are plenty of 800-900 watt amps out there these days which don't get slagged off for being over powered, so I don't see the problem with 1000 watts. They're just doing the "it goes to 11 and that's better" sales thing.

I don't know what market they're aiming for. It can't be easily carried and looks like a piece of furniture so they must be after the "never move out of the music room" and "over 40's" segment but it's 1000watts so that must be aimed at rock and metal bands.

Who have they identified as potential owners?

Are Warwick s basslite? I'm no expert, but I've never heard one that doesn't have a ton of bass.

"True watts" is nonsense. I don't care how loud an amp is on paper, I care how loud it is on a gig, so Warwick are not going to sell me an amp by dissing other manufacturers.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1358767260' post='1944526']
"True watts" is nonsense. I don't care how loud an amp is on paper, I care how loud it is on a gig, so Warwick are not going to sell me an amp by dissing other manufacturers.
[/quote]
I dunno - I kind-of see his point. If this amp does what it does without using clever power management - which some people don't get on with - then it's a fair comment to make.

...they must be after the "never move out of the music room" and "over 40's" segment but it's 1000 watts so that must be aimed at rock and metal bands.[/quote]

What do you mean? I resemble these remarks. I'm over 40 and I'm in a rock band.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358767646' post='1944536']
.... I'm over 40 and I'm in a rock band....
[/quote]

Me too, but I want an amp that has been designed for the road, with handles or rack ears.

40 isn't important. Choose another number.

There are plenty of 800-900 watt amps out there these days which don't get slagged off for being over powered, so I don't see the problem with 1000 watts. They're just doing the "it goes to 11 and that's better" sales thing.[/quote]

Fair point, my only problem with the 1000w thing is that I can't ever really see when I would need that much power, and there's the thinly veiled hope that a 500W single channel version might be a little smaller and cheaper :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1358767538' post='1944534']
I dunno - I kind-of see his point. If this amp does what it does without using clever power management - which some people don't get on with - then it's a fair comment to make.
[/quote]

Yup, I think this might evidence a bit of advancement in the whole Class D thing, although the bigger chassis means it might come with a size penalty...

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1358768791' post='1944557']
Fair point, my only problem with the 1000w thing is that I can't ever really see when I would need that much power, and there's the thinly veiled hope that a 500W single channel version might be a little smaller and cheaper :)
[/quote]

this.

I think the Hellborg preamp is regarded as being quite nice, I think if Warwick focused on providing a top quality pre and matching it up to a number of different power units... Like as it is, 1000w is neither here nor there for me, but it has twice the amount of preamps that I would want.

• 3 weeks later...

I call this "The Watt's War" it will never end.

If you ran any amp into a scope, you will NEVER get what it says on the tin, its similar to a car, it will never reach what it says. For E.g look at your ford focus speedo and tell me it will do 130/140 mph......exactly!

All i want to know is, will it hold its own with 2 half stack guitar amps and one stupidly loud drummer, for me thats how reviews should be played out. None of this BS "its the greatest amp in the world, its better then everything else on the market"

also for me the design of it is going for that "its been made in a shed" look, its not practical as there is no option for rack ears or anything else where you could take it on the road. Not Impressed tbh

Actually, we are using an entirely new output section, that is not an IcePower module. And unlike our other Class D amps on the market we offer a genuine 1000 watt output at 4 ohms. Most other Class D amps use the IcePower modules, which are either 125w @ 2.7ohms or 250w @ 2.7ohms. This amp is loud, and has punch with a ton of low end. It will easily keep up with 2 half stack guitar amps and a loud drummer! Also, the wooden sides are removeable for the placement of rack ears.

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1360360648' post='1969505']
Actually, we are using an entirely new output section, that is not an IcePower module. And unlike our other Class D amps on the market we offer a genuine 1000 watt output at 4 ohms. Most other Class D amps use the IcePower modules, which are either 125w @ 2.7ohms or 250w @ 2.7ohms.
[/quote]

Bandwidth and THD?

Got any cabs that can deal with 1000w broadband?

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1360364964' post='1969574']
Mr. Foxen, I will get all the specs from our engineer, including bandwidth...the THD is 0.003% unlike some of the other Class D amps on the market that are 3%, 5%, or even 10% THD! I will update as soon as I have further detailed information. Thanks!
[/quote]

0.003% seems really low!

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1360360648' post='1969505']
the wooden sides are removeable for the placement of rack ears.
[/quote]

That's a nice touch, very clever.

On the aesthetic side of things, for what it's worth, I think this looks lovely. Definitely not "made in a shed" but a great "classic 70s hifi" look. Of course I appreciate that may not be everyone's thing!

I don't see how this would be any less roadworthy than other handleless boxes with the buttons sitting proud, such as the EAiAmp, Eden WT, GB Shuttle etc.

I wouldn't buy one though, as it has one channel too many, and a bit too solid state for my liking :-)