Why become a member? ×

Mike Dirnt Squier P-bass, anyone?

mcnach

I found myself with a bit of extra cash in my pocket and at the same Mik time I am finding the Squier Mike Dirnt P-bass quite attractive.

I might try one tomorrow, although it means travelling a bit.

I was wondering if anybody here has one and what they think about it.

Is there any routing under that pickguard? I can´t imagine there would be any, which would be nice as I like the pickguardless look...

[url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-mike-dirnt-p-bass"]http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-mike-dirnt-p-bass[/url]

The reviews seem to go from "awesome" to "crap", with most of them seemingly written by 15 year olds who may not be best equipped to judge whether they like or hate a bass because what they like is the set up of that particular instrument...

any comments welcome.

I had a Squier one. No routing under the gaurd and mine had an Kent Armstrong pickup, Wilkinson tuners and bridge. The previous owner had upgraded it and it sounded nice. I liked the neck on it as I do on most Squiers, nowhere near as chunky as the Fender version which is like a C neck profile I think. And nice and light unlike the 14lb of the Fender.

Here's a snap of the one I had next to my '62 re-fin..

The whole look and sound of the thing ticked so many of my boxes, but the weight was prohibitive for someone like me who has had cars run into his left shoulder. I'm not sure about 14lbs, but there was no way it was below 12. I guess if you are looking at a Squier it might be a bit lighter, IIRC the body is basswood. I know the Fender one has some kind of custom pick-up, and I found it very powerful I really liked the Badass, and I thought the nut width slightly narrower than a standard P. Also there is no cheesy sig on it, so you can enjoy the bass for what it is and have no allegiance to Green Day.

There were some QC issues though. The bridge was not properly screwed down to the body, the cut-out around the control plate on the scratch plate was a bit rough and one of the control plate screws fixed into air.

Saying that though it was nothing that could not be sorted, and had it not been for the weight I would have kept a hold of her. But, I loved the style so much, I had this one built..

And she weighs in at 7.6lbs :yarr:

I'd recommend you make the journey and try it out. The worst that will happen is you'll get out the house for the day :)

Well, I suppose a helicopter could land on you, but on the balance of probability you'll most likely end up buying a decent bass ;)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1358541049' post='1941272']
Here's a snap of the one I had next to my '62 re-fin..

The whole look and sound of the thing ticked so many of my boxes, but the weight was prohibitive for someone like me who has had cars run into his left shoulder. I'm not sure about 14lbs, but there was no way it was below 12. I guess if you are looking at a Squier it might be a bit lighter, IIRC the body is basswood. I know the Fender one has some kind of custom pick-up, and I found it very powerful I really liked the Badass, and I thought the nut width slightly narrower than a standard P. Also there is no cheesy sig on it, so you can enjoy the bass for what it is and have no allegiance to Green Day.

There were some QC issues though. The bridge was not properly screwed down to the body, the cut-out around the control plate on the scratch plate was a bit rough and one of the control plate screws fixed into air.

Saying that though it was nothing that could not be sorted, and had it not been for the weight I would have kept a hold of her. But, I loved the style so much, I had this one built..

And she weighs in at 7.6lbs :yarr:

I'd recommend you make the journey and try it out. The worst that will happen is you'll get out the house for the day :)

Well, I suppose a helicopter could land on you, but on the balance of probability you'll most likely end up buying a decent bass ;)
[/quote]

:lol: I´ll be watching out for helicopters...

That one you had made looks VERY sexy! :gas:

Yeah, the Squier is agathis, I believe. Likely to be not very heavy. Hmm, I do not need another bass, but I really like the look of the Dirnt Squier, star and all. Hmmm.

If I leave the house and try the bass, unless there is something really wrong with it it will come home with me. After all, I can always let it go later if I don´t want it. It´s cheap and comes with a small practice amp that I can give to a skint friend of mine who needs one... hmmm.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358534213' post='1941105']
14lb...! :o [size=4]Mine's 8. Thank God![/size]
[/quote]

I`m 99% sure that is what it weighed. I weighed it after I let a guy play it when he was buying an amp from me and he commented on it. It was the best sounding P I have ever owned mabye due to the weight. I tried to look back on the for sale post but I had deleted all the info! It came from Bassix to me then Andy67 then....?

8lb`s? Thats a big girls blouse weight! :D

The Squier is a good looking bass and well worth a second hand punt.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1358601749' post='1941976']
8lbs? Thats a big girls blouse weight! :D[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]It is, but I'm getting to the point where I just can't play for two hours with anything heavier! :unsure:[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358603151' post='1942009']
[/size]
[size=4]It is, but I'm getting to the point where I just can't play for two hours with anything heavier! :unsure:[/size]
[/quote]

Considering I play a Sr300, one of the lightest basses you will find, on gigs and in the studio, I should really keep my mouth shut!

Well, saw the bass, tried the bass, bass now in my living room.

Cheap instruments were not this nice when I started out!!! :angry:

This is the Squier, in white, actually a very pretty shade of creamy white.
The action at the moment is a little higher than I like, and the strings need changing, they feel pretty rough. But the bass balances well, it´s pretty light, with a very nice neck. It feels narrower than a normal P bass, more J bass territory. I´m not a fan of J necks (although I play them) but this one feels quite good.

I´m surprised at the pickup. I expected something really uninspiring. Sure, it is a little on the brittle side, but it sounds alright. A nice Wizard Thumper would be ideal here once I find one second hand... but it´s not bad at all as it is.

It needs a little adjustment to get it to play the way I want it, but... it´s very nice!
It has barely been played. Frets as good as new, immaculate body.

I never thought the day would arrive when I could say I love P basses :blink: :lol: