Why become a member? ×

THE Bass Relay Thread

Jimryan

For My tuppence , It is Jims gig , he makes the rules and if he wants help , he'll ask for it , and that in BC land, will mainly be for BC'ers to play the thing . If a bit of endorsement oils the wheels great, and I am not sure , but I don't recall anyone who has tried to gig the thing being turned down.

Keeping an eye on the bigger picture of JIm's idea is whats important - the bass playing community 'stepping up to the line' to raise money to fight cancer.

The concept and spirit of that idea is fantastic ! I have had nothing but an excellent experience from getting involved and it felt kind of cool to be the next in line from Donnyboy after Rhino had signed the bass - even cooler now with more 'celeb' signatures! So, once more I take my hat off to praise Jim and everyone who is contributing in any positive way they can to help fight this horrible disease whether they be 'famous' or 'infamous' , whether they have raised a bucket load of cash or helped push the cause to a wider audience!

I salute you BC community ! :hi:

Edited by ubassman

I still think this is a great idea, and I think the celebrity involvement and any media coverage it gets is fantastic, as it hopefully all helps towards the end cause, assuming that it adds value and hype, and I absolutely understand where you are coming from Sylvia, as we did chat about this via PM not too long ago, but I just can't help but think that it should be out there, doing gigs. When I say that, I don't mean that celebrity meetings are altogether ignored, but maybe that it seems very high up on the priorities list at the moment, when maybe that could take a back seat for a few months until it's closer to the final auction? That way, it raises money in the meantime, then later, it gets the celebrity hype. Just a suggestion.

Anyway, I don't want to try and undermine any of the work that has been done, because I know there has been a lot of time and effort put into it, and I really admire it :)

If you guys need anything, you know where to find me :)

I've just read through the last two pages or so and I'm amazed by the work that's going on, so congratulations on that! All in your spare time as well!

My only thought would be.. So far there is two(?) more famous bassists in the line to sign it etc. but what happens if after these people another famous person says 'Oh yeah, I'll do that' and then the bass is held for longer and on and on..

But!

Please do not take this as a criticism, just a honest question?

:)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Aqntbghd' timestamp='1381176268' post='2235517']
I'm interested for cambridgeshire, and i can go and pick it up in london as i work there quite often. :)
[/quote]#

I'm in camb also. however have just been fired from ma band.... so no gigs in the near future now :(

I am based in Buckinghamshire (Chesham/Amersham area) and I am interested to play. I don't play in a band but I do play in the Worship group at church so we might be able to get some donations from the congregation?

So the deal is that I make a donation, meet the previous 'guardian' and collect the guitar, let people at church know what is going on so they can make donations, play it, take a photo of me playing it and then pass the bass to the next person?

Let me know....

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1381322640' post='2237527']
I am based in Buckinghamshire (Chesham/Amersham area) and I am interested to play. I don't play in a band but I do play in the Worship group at church so we might be able to get some donations from the congregation?

So the deal is that I make a donation, meet the previous 'guardian' and collect the guitar, let people at church know what is going on so they can make donations, play it, take a photo of me playing it and then pass the bass to the next person?

Let me know....
[/quote]

Pretty much. That and pictures of the handovers. It's been used for a church band before. They're just as import as gigs are.

[quote name='Aqntbghd' timestamp='1381176268' post='2235517']
I'm interested for cambridgeshire, and i can go and pick it up in london as i work there quite often. :)
[/quote]
PM Bluejay and arrange a pickup ;)
[quote name='aende' timestamp='1381231392' post='2236042']
I am in West London too - have a gig at the beginning of November, also happy to collect from Bluejay or meet after aqntbghd has used it.
[/quote]
[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1381322640' post='2237527']

Let me know....
[/quote]

The trick is that no-one is here to organise the relay for you , if you want it, arrange to pick it up, use it and pass it on , add the collection to the just giving page and thats it . so whoever is first up gets it B)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1382392058' post='2251728']
Keep an eye on the thread. I'm sure it will be near Hull at some stage. When it is, just make as much fuss as you can :)
[/quote]

why make a fuss , just PM the the BCer who has it when it is near enough to pick up , same goes with everyone

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1382391460' post='2251721']

The trick is that no-one is here to organise the relay for you , if you want it, arrange to pick it up, use it and pass it on , add the collection to the just giving page and thats it . so whoever is first up gets it B)
[/quote]

Love it

[quote name='Aqntbghd' timestamp='1382475950' post='2252743']
Just had the bass delivered to me by Bluejay. :) Thanks a lot, next planned appearance is in Cambourne on the 31st of october.
[/quote]

Don't forget to post the handover and gig photos

[quote name='Aqntbghd' timestamp='1382475950' post='2252743']
Just had the bass delivered to me by Bluejay. :) Thanks a lot, next planned appearance is in Cambourne on the 31st of october.
[/quote]

Good luck with it - have a great gig! - dont forget to add the links below when youve done !

The BassRelay has reached Cambourne.... and I have a gig in Cambourne on Friday (I play for both bands). Aqntbghd (Julian) has agreed to hand over the Bass to me for the night to play during this gig so we can pass the collecting tin around the pub and hopefully raise some money for this worthy cause!