Why become a member? ×

Enough Power for Outdoor/big gigs?

neptunehealer

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1358356998' post='1937745']
No worries, 210 on top, for no other reason than it`s going to be lighter than the 410. Will be interested to see what you think of these cabs - a review in order I reckon.
[/quote]

No worries and yes i will post a review of them as soon as i try them out, as a way of saying thanks for all your advice.

The only dilemma i have now is working out a way to fit it all in my car!!!

I really wouldn't do outside without decent PA support unless you know you're going to be in a confined space with audience up close.

Once your bass rig starts to overpower the drums (I'm assuming you're full band?) then they will need reinforcement. That will require a fair bit of PA to be worthwhile and then everything else needs support too.

You'll end up with ridiculously loud on-stage levels if you try to do it all with your backline!

[quote name='thinman' timestamp='1358364331' post='1937938']
I really wouldn't do outside without decent PA support unless you know you're going to be in a confined space with audience up close.

Once your bass rig starts to overpower the drums (I'm assuming you're full band?) then they will need reinforcement. That will require a fair bit of PA to be worthwhile and then everything else needs support too.

You'll end up with ridiculously loud on-stage levels if you try to do it all with your backline!
[/quote]

Very true words with good advice. However, if you want to destroy buildings... get a Barefaced dubster and an amp that will deliver 500W+ (real watts lol) (I use a Peavey Tour 700, cheap s/h). you could build a Fearful 1515 and a 6 headcase. I will attest that the BF Dubster with 700W available is 'adequate'.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1358341567' post='1937247']
Offering a different train of thought....For big gigs, you don't actually need big gear as chances are you'll have
a lot of PA support.You could easily do them with your head and a small cab like a 2x10 or even a 1x12 (which
is my current favourite).To be honest, I've played large gigs (a few thousand people) with a 100 watt combo.
[/quote]

The original Hyde Park gigs were played with Vox AC30 backlines. The first ever 1000 watt rig in the UK was probably the Isle of Wight Festival. IMHO somewhere the world has gone mad. Back in the seventies 1k rigs used to be deafening so either we've changed the definition of a watt somewhere or gear isn't what it's rated at or we've all gone deaf! I've played 500 seater venues with 100 watt vocal PA, backline of 100 watt bass and guitar amps, drums with one overhead mike (through the vocal PA) and been asked to turn it down!

Rant over

Steve

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1358341567' post='1937247']
Offering a different train of thought....For big gigs, you don't actually need big gear as chances are you'll have
a lot of PA support.You could easily do them with your head and a small cab like a 2x10 or even a 1x12 (which
is my current favourite).To be honest, I've played large gigs (a few thousand people) with a 100 watt combo.
[/quote]

What he said

But only if you know that .. and the engr will be able to put 4 mixes into the monitors....and has decent enough monuitors etc.
I think you would be quite amiss just to assume this on quite a few gigs.
My first call is to the P.A company asking exactly this.

If you are doing gigs with tight cost controls, then spec at the lower level becoems an issue..as does 1 or 2 engrs.
And if these gigs are non payers, then the the costs are probably even tigher..?? so you can get cheaper kit, cheaper guys..?? etc etc

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1358374997' post='1938279']
...either we've changed the definition of a watt somewhere or gear isn't what it's rated at or we've all gone deaf![/quote]

+1 I've put my Nomex suit on, so I'm going to say that bands generally play far too loud - especially in smaller venues. This can be due to a drummer who plays very loudly (even without reinforcement), or a guitarist who insists on using a 100W rig that has to be cranked up 'to get my sound, man...'

The situation where both bands and punters are wearing ear protection as a matter of course is totally ridiculous!

Apologies for digressing somewhat! :)

Edited by discreet

No. It's fairly simple. To double the perceived volume you need ten times the power.

So to double the volume from a 10w amp you need 100w and to double it again you need 1000w.

Don't forget power is cheap now due to transistors. Although speakers have become mire efficient. So it's cheaper to have efficient speakers and big amps than it is to have loads of inefficient speakers and small amps. Like they used to do.