Why become a member? ×

Late 80's Stingray and Sabre with Status Graphite neck *ALL SOLD*

Beedster

Hi folks

Recent change of job and environment coupled with a very energetic 18 month old plus another on the way means that I've pretty much decided that my days as a gigging bass player are over. I'm going to focus on building my capacity to play and record various instruments and styles of music at my small but developing home studio, which is something that gives me less stress and more time with my family, although it does of course give the family more stress!! So, I'm going to keep my DB, and of course all of my various non-basses, but my current two basses and my amps are going. This is kinda ironic as I had been feeling that at long last I had the rig and the basses to go out and be the bassist I'd always wanted to be, but that's life eh.

Anyway, the basses

First up a 1988 MM Sabre with Status graphite fretless neck. This is the 3EQ version with covered PUPs and no toggle switches. It was bought from Tommy K on here with a fretted Status neck (see below for more details as to where that is now). So this bass is to all intents a Cutlass II FL with the added bonus that the FL graphite neck is of a far higher quality than was the case on the original 80's instruments. Link to original FS post here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/186933-diy-musicman-cutlass-ii-l750-sold/page__p__1811766__hl__cutlass__fromsearch__1#entry1811766."]http://basschat.co.u...1#entry1811766.[/url] Please note that the Tommy K signature colour scheme and decor is no more (sorry Tom), and it's now just plain old silver strings and no stickers. Also comes with spare cream 3 ply pickguard. Note also that the problem Tommy described with the three position selector switch has been resolved. I've heard some quite experienced players say that the Cutlass II is one of the best all-round gigging instruments out there; versatile, built like a tank and rock steady as Chelsea's back four (used to be). I have to agree.

[s]Second up is a 1988 MM Stingray, cream with black pickguard with Status graphite fretted neck and the classic 2EQ pre, or in other words pretty much a Cutlass 1. This is also going to be sold with its original fretless neck with which it came (original FS thread at [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/192990-sold-1988-musicman-stingray-fretless/page__p__1882726__hl__stingray%20fretless__fromsearch__1#entry1882726"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1882726[/url]) with Rich's pics with the original neck at [url="https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8bygy99m36ds438/K7YB52lITW#/."]https://www.dropbox....8/K7YB52lITW#/.[/url] To be honest, when you play a decent Stingray you realise why the Sabre and Cutlass II didn't do so well commercially, the EQ is so powerful that it makes a neck PUP almost redundant (having said that, the Sabre neck PUP does do something pretty special) [/s]*NOW SOLD, SORRY*

Re pics, I've finally managed to get them off my phone and onto Photobucket but they're really crap quality, so I will need to take some using a decent camera. For the time being I'll leave you with the tease below

I also have a spare late 80s lined fretless Stingray neck and original tuners.

Think it's fair to say that the Status necks transform both basses from good to outstanding. I A/Bd the fretless neck on the Sabre and the differences in tone, balance and playability were outstanding. I don't have an original fretted neck with which to do the same with the fretted Status neck but I'm confident that things would be much the same. Of course, the necks are rock solid and 100% humidity/moisture and temperature proof, which if you like your action low is very important.

I'm guessing the obvious question is likely to be whether I can change any of the above combinations, and the answer is yes as all bodies and necks are standard 4-bolt MM layout. You can have pretty much what you want in fact. Prices will be £800 for the Sabre FL, £900 for the 'ray with both graphite fretted and original fretless necks, and £175 for the spare FL neck without tuners and £215 with. Prices may vary slightly if necks get changed and I'll keep y'all posted on that. Having said that i'm already confused. Happy to entertain offers for either graphite to be honest.

I'll also be selling (gulp) my Mesa 400+, Mesa 1516EV, and my back up head, Peavey Pro Bass 1000 pre coupled with a Laney Theatre 150w monoblock power amp (v.loud for a 150). I'll post for those in the Amps for sale section with some cases etc.

I've also got a few unopened packs of strings that I'll list when i locate them, and quite a few bass-related things that I'll list also.

Right, trades or PXs......

I'll be needing a bass for the studio, so guess what, I'm after a '62 RI Precision, ideally Jap but AV would do the job. I'm also interested in a steel string acoustic (6 string), especially a decent Gibson J-185/J-200 or similar, the more played in the better. Any combination of the above gear, cash, girlfriends could work in a deal for either of these, I don't need to take cash out of the deal, just need to make sure I have the instruments I need. Sorry to appear rude and ungrateful, but please don't offer anything other than a PBass or a 6-string acoustic, I'm really not interested in anything else.

Chris

Edited by Beedster

Chris, I did this when my kids were born and I didn't play any gigs for about 20 years.
I made music in my home studio with various collaborators and hardly played any bass at all.
The kids are in their mid - late 20s now and I have been back in gigging bands for the past 8 years.
It was odd taking my bass out of it's case for the first time after it's long sabbatical, but I'm enjoying playing and band life more than ever.

Everything has it's time and season - enjoy yourself :)

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1357929295' post='1930824']
Chris, I did this when my kids were born and I didn't play any gigs for about 20 years.
I made music in my home studio with various collaborators and hardly played any bass at all.
The kids are in their mid - late 20s now and I have been back in gigging bands for the past 8 years.
It was odd taking my bass out of it's case for the first time after it's long sabbatical, but I'm enjoying playing and band life more than ever.

Everything has it's time and season - enjoy yourself :)
[/quote]

Indeed, I am walking your path RS! I've no doubt that in time I'll be gassing for another 8 basses and several Boogie amps, but as you say, everything has it's time and season. I'll be keeping my Acoustic Image rig (largely because it amplifies everything SO well, even my Strat, shame it weighs about the same per unit volume as a black hole), and as I'll hopefully have a decent PBass, I won't rule out the odd gig either on that or DB, but I'm not going to actively seek anything until i hit the road with my Hanson-style family band in about 14 years time!

Must get up to see you gig sometime, we've got as far as Aberdovey so far! In fact it takes us about 30 mins just to get into Mach some days (errant sheep plus floods and the occasional broken down Forestry Commission artic make driving up here interesting!).

Cheers

C

Come to think of it, it was just after moving to Wales, that our kids arrived and I stopped gigging.
It's a great place to bring them up though and they will probably be bilingual like mine too.
I hope you find your niche here and that you find some interesting musical projects.
My youngest daughter has sung with my band and we played at her wedding...... all in the future for you grasshopper B)

We will play down your way sometime and it would be good to meet up.
If you do facebook, like us there and you should hear of any local gigs.
[url="http://www.facebook.com/tacsimusic"]http://www.facebook.com/tacsimusic[/url]

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1357932506' post='1930871']
Come to think of it, it was just after moving to Wales, that our kids arrived and I stopped gigging.
It's a great place to bring them up though and they will probably be bilingual like mine too.
I hope you find your niche here and that you find some interesting musical projects.
My youngest daughter has sung with my band and we played at her wedding...... all in the future for you grasshopper B)

We will play down your way sometime and it would be good to meet up.
If you do facebook, like us there and you should hear of any local gigs.
[url="http://www.facebook.com/tacsimusic"]http://www.facebook.com/tacsimusic[/url]
[/quote]

It's a Wales things then!

Will do the FB thing, hope to catch you soon

Chris

[quote name='the hand of john curley' timestamp='1357981281' post='1931210']
Chris, off topic, but wondered whatever happened to the "banana" precision?! ;-)
Did you ever manage to sort the neck? We could have sent it to MDP guitar restorers!....he'd have filed the nut, bees waxed it and got that neck to within a knats cock of being level ;-)))
Matt
[/quote]

Hi Matt, good to hear from you, hope all's well. I got the Banana PB playable and it went to Marky L who I believe ended up putting a new neck on it anyway. Funny old things wasn't it!

C

[quote name='The Burpster' timestamp='1358068971' post='1932447']
Bloody hell Chris, bit of a big move...? I kinda get it tho' ..... shame you havent still got the M6 carbine combo, Id've had that off you but 400 I havent got space for.... Is the Ovation part of the new plan...?

Bob.
[/quote]

Hi Bob, not sure I ever had an M6, but hey, I've had so many, who's to say :D

The Ovation has gone also, despite the fact that it's a lovely instrument, I found that for both gigging and recording it wasn't acoustic enough sounding

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1358078662' post='1932625']
Chris, I don't suppose you still have that Fralin P do you? I'd glady buy it back for the same price.

Congrats on the incoming wallet muncher ;-)
[/quote]

Thanks Dave, yes, the wallet has been largely devoured. Don't think I have the Fralin but as I have a box of bass bits that hasn't been opened since the move I'll check and get back to you

C

Quick update

Firstly, better pics will be up tonight, apologies for the delay

Second, I'm happy to sell the Status necks separately at £200 without tuners and £200 with. Please remember however that they are drilled for four-bolt MM bodies. You can of course re-drill them for either three-bolt or six-bolt bodies with, I believe no clash with the current holes. lf the neck is going on a three-bolt, just to be 100% safe you may need to fill the old holes with some form of resin before drilling the new ones.

Third, I'm happy to let the Stingray go with the original fretless neck for £700 ovno. I have to say that it's a lovely old 'ray, it carries the marks of many gigs, which in my experience is usually a good sign!

Lastly, I may consider splitting the instruments; the Sabre is non-original (neck) and the 'ray, although all original, is probably sufficiently mojo'd for its value as a vintage instrument to be somewhat questionable! Having said this, deep in my psyche there is even now a voice shouting "never split an original bass", so let's hope it doesn't come to that!

Pics WILL be up tonight!

Chris

OK, can't get the flash to work on my camera so here are the original iPhone pictures, I'll try to get better in daylight tomorrow

First up, the Sabre/Cutlass II

Some important things to note:

1. It has a G&L bridge, and if I were a perfectionist I'd say it has been installed about 1.5mm too high. It doesn't bother me (it would if it were too low), but you may want to deal with this if you play at the dusty end on the E.
2. The PUP covers are slightly cracked above the polepieces. Again, it doesn't bother me but it may you.
3. I play with relatively high action so it may look high to you in the pics. Trust me, not only can you get the action ludicrously low, but it also intones properly when you do, it is an oustanding neck in every respect.
4. You'll notice from the pics that the body has a few minor dinks plus a few bits of sticky stuff left from Tommy K's artwork. The dinks will stay but a little bit of white spirit will get the sticky stuff off (I will do that).

Edited by Beedster

Next up, the Stingray/Cutlass 1 *NOW SOLD, SORRY*

Things to note

1. It's a monster
2. There are lots of little dinks here and there.
3. It looks like a previous owner has taped the back to prevent buckle rash and that the tape has caused some discolouration. Hard to see but it's there
4. The pocket ain't the tightest, but it's solid (see bottom pic and note above it)

For me, a 2EQ 80's Ray with a Status neck is probably the ultimate gigging bass, possibly only outdone by a Sabre with a Status neck! This bass has been well used but will perform at any level from beginner to 'pro for many years to come, like the Sabre above, it's 100% rock solid. I won't be hugely sad if either this or the Sabre doesn't sell (but they will), to be honest, the only reason I want a Precision over this bass as the studio workhorse is that I want 100% simplicity, no active circuit to worry about, no batteries to run out late on Sunday night etc. As I say, I won't be too sad if I have to keep it. It was, in many respects, the bass I'd always wanted!

Edited by Beedster

And more..... (for some reason the bass looks much whiter than is the case in these pics, it's more the dream colour in the post above)

The gap between the bass side of the neck and the pocket wall is about 1.5mm. Not ideal for sure, but it doesn't seem to cause any problems (and let's face it, that's a small gap by Fender standards). I've tried very hard to move the neck and it won't budge. It's secure.

Edited by Beedster

Are the 4 bolt neck plates on Stingrays same as the ones for Fender basses?
Planning of using the fretless for my warmoth jazz if possible.

[quote name='BassKS' timestamp='1358255143' post='1935616']
Are the 4 bolt neck plates on Stingrays same as the ones for Fender basses?
Planning of using the fretless for my warmoth jazz if possible.
[/quote]

Hello mate, long time. Re the above, I'm not sure but I doubt it. Having said that someone on here may know better?

As I seem to have confused many people, I'll clarify:

The 'Ray can be had for £900 with both original unlined fretless AND Status fretted neck, or £750 with either - but not both - necks
The Sabre is currently being sold with the fretless Status neck only

The above are negotiable within reason :)

Chris