Why become a member? ×

Volume pedals

phil625sxc

Hi basschatters

Any of you regularly use a volume pedal ?

I'm finding that some of the stuff I play requires slightly more dynamic scope than I can get with just my fingers, and I have trouble adjusting the vol on the bass in a subtle manner whilst playing/reading - I usually cock it up and turn myself up too loud, miss a few notes then lose my place on the score...! :-)

Just wondered if anyone had experience of using a pedal - maybe the guys who do pit work ?

Thanks,

Phil

I find using a volume pedal the most intuitive way of changing ones volume while playing.

With a little bid of practice to become accustomed to the sweep, you'll find it so much easier. You'll just need to make sure to bring the volume back up to the right level before you start another song!

I used a Fender Volume pedal for years, sold it, then bought another one because I hadn't realised how much I used it! I like the Fender ones because they're shiny and also have a consistent sweep; that have a satisfyingly stiff action too.

Truckstop

A lot of multi effects units can have the pedal assigned to volume but my own choice was a morley unit which someone had altered from a Wah Wah. Very useful. I don;t use it any more because I rarely use compression these days and can therefore get what dynamics I need with my fingers.

I use one of these [the older silver version though]
Very smooth, no signal change, and it also has side LED lights which
is great for show/pit work.

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/visual-sound-visual-volume-pedal--37001?gclid=CMi4oLLa2LQCFW3KtAodvFcAWQ

Garry

FWIW I've only ever used the volume on my bass as an on/off switch, ie. it's always full on, or full off.
Going from a rocker to a ballad, I would control dynamics with the fingers - maybe moving nearer to the bridge or to the neck for extra control.
Most instruments don't have a volume control, and in a rock context drummers and singers don't have a volume control, but they seem to get by... mostly :unsure:

There is a big difference in sound from actually playing lighter to turning the volume down. IME turning the volume control down will mean you just disappear from the mix.
I know this doesn't help in the short term, and I certainly don't mean to be patronising (I've no idea how long you've been playing), but maybe controlling dynamics with your fingers is an area that you need to work on when practising.

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1357652774' post='1926014']
[b]I use one all the time. Great for celloing, soundscape-like swells,[/b] level control and on/off. It's become a solid part of my style now.

To the OP, what is it you actually want to know?
[/quote]
Obviously, for those kind of effects a volume pedal is ideal. I think Phil was concerned more with general levels.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1357657778' post='1926123']
I have a Morley volume pedal I got years ago. Useful but I find it' s all in my hands.
[/quote]Er, not sure what connection the second sentence has with the first :huh:

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1357659748' post='1926176']
Must admit my use is mainly on/off between numbers.

Garry
[/quote]

Depends on the band for me, for the zulu funk it's mostly on/off but with Kit I use it a lot more creatively. I couldn't live without mine, and it is certainly not used as a finger alternative for dynamics control, the two sounds are completely different.

thanks again, interesting stuff.
I'm actually bit miffed (for some reason) to think I need to use one as I would like to be able to do it just with touch, but I'm finding I just don't have the dynamic range to go from pp to ff by fingers alone !
I dislike playing so softly I'm barely touching the strings as I lose a bit in tone and feel, if that makes sense...I can see how it would be useful for the kind of effects that Siddx mentions but I was just looking into using one for adjusting volume on the fly.

[quote name='phil625sxc' timestamp='1357660801' post='1926215']
thanks again, interesting stuff.
I'm actually bit miffed (for some reason) to think I need to use one as I would like to be able to do it just with touch, but I'm finding I just don't have the dynamic range to go from pp to ff by fingers alone !
I dislike playing so softly I'm barely touching the strings as I lose a bit in tone and feel, if that makes sense...I can see how it would be useful for the kind of effects that Siddx mentions but I was just looking into using one for adjusting volume on the fly.
[/quote]

If you want it only for volume notching you may find it difficult to use. You are probably better off using a stomp box.

Just re-read your original post, and judging by your mention of pp and ff in your last, do I take it you do a lot of theatre work? Is it the kind of thing where the whole band needs to drop down to allow for dialogue? If so, then I can see why a volume pedal may be needed.

[quote name='phil625sxc' timestamp='1357661221' post='1926230']
is that just an on/off boost switch ?
[/quote]

Yes, I think for you it would be more suitable. There are things like the programmable Sansamp BDDI too. Volume rockers are not easy to control for subtle level adjustments.

@SteveK no, not theatre - I would be using it for playing in a big band, where there's a few sections that are very, very quiet and then it gets really loud... :-)
plus the problems I mentioned before of trying to adjust vol on the bass while constantly playing/reading/watching my intonation !!
Other gigs I can manage volume levels with how I play but for this gig I'm considering it.

@Siddx would a stomp box just give a low & high level that you switch between ?

[quote name='phil625sxc' timestamp='1357662131' post='1926253']
@SteveK no, not theatre - I would be using it for playing in a big band, where there's a few sections that are very, very quiet and then it gets really loud... :-)
plus the problems I mentioned before of trying to adjust vol on the bass while constantly playing/reading/watching my intonation !!
Other gigs I can manage volume levels with how I play but for this gig I'm considering it.

@Siddx would a stomp box just give a low & high level that you switch between ?
[/quote]

Yes, just set it for your normal sound with a little level boost for the normal level you play with, turn it off for the quieter parts. Let your fingers do the rest. I have patches on my POD X3 for this very reason. It's tricky to back off the volume a notch on the volume rocker, what usually happens is you back off too much and have to increase it a bit, causing a volume dip while you're playing. Just as hard as using a bass volume knob.

Yep, used them loads. Very handy when switching between guitars of different output levels in the same set. In my Genesis tribute band days I had three on the go: one for bass, one for guitar, one for bass pedals.

I used Ernie Ball volume pedals - can't remember which one exactly but the whole range are here: http://www.ernieball.com/products/pedals/

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1357660952' post='1926220']
If you want it only for volume notching you may find it difficult to use.
[/quote]

The one i use [link in my first post] was the best one i tried regarding this,
The LED markers can get you somewhere close. but you are right, it is a difficult operation.
For pit /show work it helps for deps comming in with marked dynamic levels on various cues,
you can mark on the part/score the LED number and it helps them get somewhere close on their first couple
of shows, until they get used to the general band levels.

Garry

Nigel's suggestion of a pedal with two preset values is a good one. Alternatively, some volume pedals allow you to set a minimum level - I've seen Morley models with this feature. Means you can quickly step from loud to quiet and back but still have the ability to adjust in between if needed. Obviously you then lose the ability to mute with the pedal, but if you've got that functionality elsewhere (pedal tuner?) then its no problem.