Why become a member? ×

D'Addario Chromes - the flats for people who don't like flats!

Muzz

Sooo, what with the family Xmas paid for and a Stateside holiday just booked, any GAS over about fifty quid has had to be curtailed, so obviously the next best thing is to faff about with strings :)

I've never really got on with flats, but after reading some good things about Chromes, and finding some cheap in, of all places, a local secondhand shop (the strings weren't second hand), I went for a set, and put them on my Fenderbird.

Quite the revelation - plenty of sustain, enough brightness for me, I like their relatively high tension, and although their tone played at home is obviously duller than the DR nickel rounds, in a rehearsal I was very impressed by the heft and solid punch they can deliver, played pick or fingers, especially with the rockier stuff. Bear in mind I'm using a Streamliner with a 2x15, so I like valvey old-school sounds.

I'm sticking with the rounds on my Dingwall, but in future I'll have a flats option available, definitely with the Chromes.

I`ve just bought a set, and am looking forward to using them with my band on Tues. I`ve had them before, but for some reason never put them on my gigging bass, so never used them with my band. Am impressed so far though, as I went for the heaviest gauge I could get, whereas before I think the ones I had were lighter gauge.

Ive got a set, i put them on a bass every now and then and love how they feel. I do think they are closer to a dead round wound than the traditional Flats tone but i like that. I do look on them as a sort of halfway house, still got the music in them but nice and smooth to play.
I do tend to go back too rounds after a few weeks/months though, i miss the overtones etc,

When i feel in a flats mood i either put the Chromes on or a set of TI's that i also keep handy. This saves me money as in the past i'd take them off and sell them, only to return to them the following year.

Well I used them with the band last night, and am 50/50. I like the thud of them, but, having used rounds for soooooo long, these strings seem to be lacking the highs and harmonics that I`m used to. They fit wonderfully in the mix with my band, providing a solid low end, although with the other band I`m not sure they would be right - so a good excuse to keep my CIJ Precision, and have that strung with rounds. That said, I will of course try the chromes with the other band - never know, they may be exactly right.

Well decision made, like Tescos burgers, they`re off!

Played my CIJ Precision today, which is strung with old Roto Rounds, and it was like coming home from a holiday - comfort, knowing where you are with things, relaxing etc. I may well have got to like the Chromes more as I used them more, but after playing the Rotos I knew I would never like the Chromes as much.

So the experiment is over, I`m a confirmed Rotosound Roundwound type of guy (fairly sure I knew it all along).

Edited by Lozz196