Why become a member? ×

Elixir Strings

D.I. Joe

I'm sold!

Bought a Precision off of our very own deanovw a little while ago; when I played it prior to buying my first thought was "Wow, these strings are lovely and new". Turns out they are year-old Elixirs! :shok: And gigged regularly to boot!

I had been put off before by stories of the coating peeling off and them not being as durable as advertised, but having tried them now I am truly impressed. They feel great - well balanced, nice tension and they sound superb. I think I'll be investing in some more of these for my other basses too! From experience, where is the best/cheapest place to buy them?

After 30 years of Rotos I was sceptical of Elixirs until I bought a new Ibanez sr1205 that came with them fitted as standard. That was several months & gigs ago - and they still sound fresh.

They aint cheap...but I wont be going to back to my "2 gig then dead" Rotos!

Elixir are twice the price but last four times as long & sound/feel great. Its a simple choice.

[quote name='deanovw' timestamp='1357487507' post='1923287']
I buy mine from Amazon.

Hey Joe, I hope you are enjoying the bass. :D
[/quote]

Very much so! There is a blues jam in Weatherspoons St Austell tonight if you fancy popping out? :)

Coolio, B)

I can't make the jam as its bath time for the baby in a minute. Have fun.

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1357490963' post='1923408']
Very much so! There is a blues jam in Weatherspoons St Austell tonight if you fancy popping out? :)
[/quote]

• 1 month later...

As above, I converted about two years ago and have never looked back. What I love about them is that when new they don't have that over the top zing that non- coated strings have but that fresh sound lasts for bloody ages. I am thinking of changing them on my jazz now and they must have been on there for 18 months!

It's a no brainer and I don't understand why people use non coated strings now? Personally, I think that all that nonsense about the coating coming off was myth made up by the other manufacturers to protect their market share!

It really does pay to shop around though, my local music shop sells them for £43 a set but I get them onlin for £29 and find that Stringbusters or Strings Direct always have them in stock and deliver really quickly too.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1362119332' post='1995989']
It really does pay to shop around though, my local music shop sells them for £43 a set but I get them onlin for £29 and find that Stringbusters or Strings Direct always have them in stock and deliver really quickly too.
[/quote]

My bass teacher has a set of ProSteels that he had on his bass for over a year, and were still good (not even nearly dead) and they can be had for £18! £43 for a set of round wounds is crazy expensive! I know a guitarist who said it didn't matter what strings he used, they rusted up after about a month or so. I do also like the top end zing of a fresh set :D you don't get that with coated strings, but i do like the sort of duller sound you can get from coated strings sometimes. suits things like indie.

I switched to elixirs mostly because when I started playing high chordy stuff, the treble needed made for horrible string squeaks when you finger runs against a string, the slippery sorts that out. But the fact they stay bright for ages is a pretty significant advantage too. Could do with heavier guages though, I like heacy strings anyway, and use a detuner, so a 115 bottom would be better for me.

Just to say, I have Prosteels on my Squier VM Jazz and Elixir Nano's on my Yamaha BBN5Mk2 which seem as though they were made for it, nice round 'middle' tone. I had Nano's on the jazz but found them a bit unbalanced in volume, especially the B which seemed to 'boom' rather than resonate, and so I tended to use the Yammy more. As soon as I put the 'steels on the Jazz I fell in love with it again and the now have the Yammy as a home noodler and a spare on stage.

Edited by LITTLEWING

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1357406787' post='1922261']
I had been put off before by stories of the coating peeling off and them not being as durable as advertised, but having tried them now I am truly impressed.
[/quote]

I've used them for quite a few years now on a couple of my basses that really get a lot of use.

I get the impression that the 'flaky coating' issue seems to affect pick players more than finger players - I can't be trusted with a pick, so it doesn't affect me... :)