Why become a member? ×

Session playing.

stoker

Find a good drummer, and latch on to them - quite a few openings can come through drums. A drummer mate of mine regularly gets asked to do session work, far more than any other musician I know, and in the past he was often asked about available bassists. Unfortunately now he`s so busy with the band, he doesn`t do session work any more, so I don`t get asked along either, but always a good place to start - along with studio which you`ve already covered.

Get your name about as a good player..and better than most, and then you'll get tracked down and asked.
You need to be in the swim of the players who are already in and do the same sort of dates and a few of those dates will be sessions if they rate you.

Leaving your name with a studio will achieve nothing on its own... it will get filled along with all the others.
If your work is not known, they will get a guy whose work they do.

You need to be recommended

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1357413314' post='1922402']

yep... and being able to take the chance if offered
[/quote]

Hey john,

exactly that. I'm trying to do the same. I've been getting my name about and I'm now on the verge of over booking myself audition wise. Even if nothing comes from the auditions, as long as I've proved my worth, they'll stay in contact.

A good thing a mate of mine told me, was "look at yourself as a musical prostitute" take any and every offer.

Apart from networking, knowing plenty of other musicians/MD's/fixers and such, good solid playing is the order of the day.
Good ears/busking, good reading chops, and picking up things very quickly along with being musically versatile,
and feel comfortable turning up and playing with complete strangers [they won't be after a while if you are doing your job right]

Fretless and Double Bass help, and Bass Synth won't do you any harm.
All these things help elevate you if you wan't to make a [good] living from it.
Basically these days a good all round freelancer will not just be doing [recording] sessions,
It means playing/depping on shows, functions, cabaret/act backing, pub gigs, or any thing thrown your way.

If none of the above phase you, go for it.

Garry

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1357412549' post='1922392']
It's all about who you know & more importantly who knows you.

Thats the difficult bit.
[/quote]

+1

Most of my time away from the bass is focused on building my profile in the business. I have only been full-time for over a year now and it's pretty hard going. I'm just above surviving through referrals, but there is so much I could be doing to get my name out there and network. I desperately need to invest money into uploading my own website, record more demos, work on my SoundCloud more, upload some vids on YouTube...lots of other stuff.

But, when I first attempted to go pro years ago networking meant placing ads in studios, music shops, sending demos to labels...it was quite restrictive looking back at it. I got some work from an agent and I did a couple of jobs for the Beeb, but nothing that paid the mortgage. I gave up very quickly and went back to working for the man. MySpace, FB, YouTube, SoundCloud etc...weren't around back then, but even though those sites make it easier to promote yourself it has raised the competition too. You have just got to keep pushing until the break happens. (I'm kinda talking to myself there too). I am nowhere near where I want to be yet (realistically), but I know it will take time and hard work to plug anything I play on and networking with the right folks.

Pretty much any session work I have done has come from recommendations from people I know. Jam nights are a great source for meeting people and getting your name known, those people know other people and you want to be in a position where if someone is asking around for a bass player your name comes up in the mix. Once you can get in with a producer as his first call you'll find he talks to other guys and your name gets about quicker. The musicial prostitue comment is a great analogy and I have referred to myself as a musical whore for years :) meet people, don't be afraid to do unpaid work if you have a spare moment as for me those unpaid gigs/bands/sessions have often led to paid work with other people as well as give me a few interesting things to include on showreels/cv.

When you get the call you need reliable gear that works as soon as you plug it in (although more and more often producers just have you use virtual gear in my experience....and dismay!) and a good variety of basses to be able to cover different tones ie jazz, precision, humbucker, soapbar

Probably the biggest thing is being able to communicate effectively about parts. Its very very rare I get called in and presented with a fully scored bass part....usually its a sit down with the track and a chat about what the producer has in his head and being able to give him that.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Barefootbassplayer' timestamp='1357553791' post='1924231']
Pretty much any session work I have done has come from recommendations from people I know. Jam nights are a great source for meeting people and getting your name known, those people know other people and you want to be in a position where if someone is asking around for a bass player your name comes up in the mix. Once you can get in with a producer as his first call you'll find he talks to other guys and your name gets about quicker. The musicial prostitue comment is a great analogy and I have referred to myself as a musical whore for years :) meet people, don't be afraid to do unpaid work if you have a spare moment as for me those unpaid gigs/bands/sessions have often led to paid work with other people as well as give me a few interesting things to include on showreels/cv.

When you get the call you need reliable gear that works as soon as you plug it in (although more and more often producers just have you use virtual gear in my experience....and dismay!) and a good variety of basses to be able to cover different tones ie jazz, precision, humbucker, soapbar

Probably the biggest thing is being able to communicate effectively about parts. Its very very rare I get called in and presented with a fully scored bass part....usually its a sit down with the track and a chat about what the producer has in his head and being able to give him that.
[/quote]

Pretty much this...^^^ Word for word.