Why become a member? ×

Stingray 5 -- Ahhhhhhhhhh !

Chris Horton

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1357156848' post='1918404']

Easy to put into words, for once!

Sterling - HS and HH versions ALL in series mode. Pickups are ceramic. Both these elements mean the Sterling is one aggressive bass! Very middy and bitey, with the classic Musicman bottom end and treble snap. The pups seem hotter to me compared to a Ray 5 (the CURRENT Ray 5's) and the EQ seems to have more effect.

Stingray - HS and HH versions ALL in parallel. Pickups are alnico. Classic Stingray tone. The HS is now the ONLY Ray 5 you can get that will allow you to solo the single coil in the bridge pup.
[/quote]

Thank you ,
That is a really helpful post :)

I think I would like to take a closer look at the sterling 5 HS at some point.
Do you know if you can get a classic 5 sterling with the HS pups ? Or is the classic 5 a different beast altogether ?

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1357158997' post='1918463']
Thank you ,
That is a really helpful post :)

I think I would like to take a closer look at the sterling 5 HS at some point.
Do you know if you can get a classic 5 sterling with the HS pups ? Or is the classic 5 a different beast altogether ?
[/quote]

Unfortunately not, however, the Sterling 5 LOOKS like a normal Ray, (as in not the extended normal Ray 5 pickguard) albet a bit smaller and with a BEAUTIFUL neck joint! The pickguard is very similar to a Ray 4...slightly different.

For me, its good to have the 3EQ with a HS as the mids gives you a LOT of flexibility.

[b][u]Sterling 5 HS:[/u][/b]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQJ7_OLqMu8

[u][b]Stingray 5 HS[/b][/u]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rp45IKy48U

Note - not my demos and not my basses!

The Classic Sterling is only available in 4 string and a single humbucker - it has a 2 band EQ AFAIK. But the Classic Stingray is available as a 5 string (2 band EQ).

A used SR5 single H, post about 1991 and pre 2008 will give you humbucker in series or parallel, with a single coil option also, all selected via a toggle switch - plus you get the 3 band EQ as well - a very versatile bass, particularly responsive to changes in hand plucking position and intensity. The humbucker in parallel gives a Stingray type tone, whilst in series it has more pronounced mids and cuts through a mix even better. The Sterling 5 basically has the same pick up arrangment (ceramic), whereas the Stingray 5 went to Alnico in about 2008.

The SR5 is likely to weigh the upper end of 9lbs - it is quite a large instrument, whereas the Sterling is smaller.

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1357160208' post='1918498']
Music man don't make it easy for us do they :)

the sterling bass in the first video....... Is it basically like a standard 4 string stingray but with an extra B string ?
[/quote]

Well, shape wise, SORT of. It's smaller. The pickguard is different...sort of. There is no chrome plate for the controls. The headstock is smaller than a Ray 5. The neck joint is a brilliant piece of engineering.

The pups are ceramic, and its all in series on a HH/HS.

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1357078620' post='1917331']I am currently going through a quiet spell with regards to regular gigging. I did not like the tone of the bass when I was noodling solo at home etc.

But , when I have played these bass guitars in a live band situation I have loved the tone and alway had great feedback from band members as the Stingray tone just seam to fit "in the pocket" with the rest of the band.[/quote]

Many people have fallen into the same trap with Precisions! What works in a band scenario can sound quite horrible when played at home... Horses for courses I guess!

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1357160208' post='1918498']
Music man don't make it easy for us do they :)
[/quote]

I've never played a Musicman bass or any of their stable-mates. I would love to... but this very thing puts me off. Why is their product range so complicated? The similarity and overlap in naming doesn't help... :( :unsure:

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1357159347' post='1918470']
I loved the one I had but it was too heavy for me. If they were 8lb they would be perfect.
[/quote]

I've just put that bass down :)

I'm a wee skinny (and fairly old) guy and heavy basses don't seem to worry me too much.

My new ACG build is exclusively Wenge and bubinga so it won't be a lightweight.

I had a Pearl White Sterling 5 for a while and it was a beautiful thing but it was neck heavy, I fitted lightweight tuners which helped a lot. I still sold it. It just didn't gel.

I've never owned or played a 4 string Ray and I'd like to try a good one particularly a 2EQ to see what all the fuss is about. I'm going to try the SR5 at the next band gathering instead of my ACG J5. The ACG is immense in terms of tone and playability so it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

If I keep the SR5 I'd love to find a Nordstrand pup for it. I fitted one to the lovely Rita (a 4 string Sterling in orange and well known on BC) and the improvement was immense. Now that's a MM I miss :)

Peter

For the first time ever I have no real gas, there is a few basses I would love to try but I am really happy with my lot

I hope I do t ever sell my stingray 5 or my fretless sr4 love them both. Have a few fenders too but my Dingwall get most playtime

Still the sr5 is a beast ! I love it