Why become a member? ×

Hole in my new secondhand Warwick

dazco

I have recieved my Warwick Corvette std and I have noticed that there is a black blanking plug round about where a 4th knob might go.

I took out the blanking plug and there is a neat hole that leads into the very bowels of the guitar.

I have mailed Warwick and the serial number matches, but they do not know why there would be a hole there.

Can you lot help? Should I send it back?

Thanks

[quote name='Machines' post='20813' date='Jun 20 2007, 03:39 PM']Where did you get it ? I can only assume someone previously modified the EQ with an additional pot and has since replaced it with the original electronics.[/quote]
I got it on-line from Cash Converters, so I can send it back.

This Bass is passive so would it have an EQ thingy?

[quote name='dazco' post='20814' date='Jun 20 2007, 03:43 PM']I got it on-line from Cash Converters, so I can send it back.

This Bass is passive so would it have an EQ thingy?[/quote]

If it was from Cash Converters then the hole would have been used by the previous owner to hide his smack!

I have had another look. The hole is where the last knob goes looking towards the head. So that knob is not there and there is an "extra" knob just above the first 2 knobs.

The "missing" knob (which is now a hole) leads directly into what I call the electronics cavity.

[quote name='dazco' post='20853' date='Jun 20 2007, 04:46 PM']I have got picsb ut for some reason this site says I cannot upload them. JPEGs[/quote]

The pics might be too big - this is often the cause of upload problems. Can you resize them at all (down to about 800 x 600 pixels is usually sufficient) ?

I would agree with Machines' conclusion.

The original owner has replaced the electrics at some point with electrics that required one additional pot. When he's come to sell it he's removed the new electrics and put the originals back in place - leaving the hole you see now.

It's perfect if you fancy doing the same thing your self at some point in the future - no drilling required. You can't really plug the hole but you could fit a dummy pot (not connected to anything) or a switch (again not connected) if you wanted to fill the gap.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='20870' date='Jun 20 2007, 05:04 PM']My guess is at was an active that someone has done a (not very tidy) job of converting it to a passive.....[/quote]

I'm not that familiar with Warwicks - that's the other option above.

Where's the battery in an active Warwick ? That would help help confirm it.

Could just be that he moved the knob from one place to another. Weird.

Not really a problem but like other people have said, it could work out as being quite handy if/when you upgrade the electronics.

Lovely looking instrument btw (apart from the hole). Congrats.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='The Funk' post='20902' date='Jun 20 2007, 05:32 PM']Could just be that he moved the knob from one place to another. Weird.

Not really a problem but like other people have said, it could work out as being quite handy if/when you upgrade the electronics.

Lovely looking instrument btw (apart from the hole). Congrats.[/quote]

I think you're right. I don't think I've ever seen a corvette with a pot in that high position. Perhaps he felt it got in the way or something.

MB1. :)

Cant understand this ?sure that should be the master volume pot,if it is, it should be a push pull both active/passive switch.definately looks like somebodys been messing,if it was active the battery would have gone in the back with the rest of the electrics.however if you wanted the active/passive mode it would have been on that master volume pot(push/pull).thats why if the battery for the active circuit dies the bass can be run passive.thats definately not been done at warwick!

MB1.

Yeh it's been modded and then put back for resale, strange they didn't put the controls back to where they would have been originally (or maybe the seller preferred it that way). Either way I'm not sure that you'd be able to get a refund from CC as the bass was surely sold like that with a picture!
If you want to put it back to active, then the battery would just sit in the compartment (standard sized route for ease of CNC work across the Warwick range). If the bass plays nice I'd not be too fussed about the extra hole so long as it had a bung or false control in there.

Thanks once again for all your replies, A pal of mine reckons somebody might have moved the whole pot so they could reach it better. I think that would have been mental. None of the control knobs pull in and out.

Here is a link (I hope ) that the nice Warwick man sent me as being the exact model that I have using the serial number.

The Bass is only 1 year old.

Paid 250 for it. I do believe I can send it back under the distant sellers act, we have to deal with it every day at work. The photographs he showed me were very small and the plug looked like an active/passive switch.

I do like the guitar and the bass man at my local music store loved it and said he would put it up at £500 if he had it. He did say that he did notthink it sounded as meaty as other Warwicks but he could not be sure. But he said it sounded great and he then slapped ot like a ginger stepson.

Heres that link

[url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/frame/frame.php?cl=DE&goto=%2Fmodules%2Fprodukte%2Fprodukt.php%3FkatID%3D2193%2526cl%3DDE"]http://www.warwick.de/modules/frame/frame....193%2526cl%3DDE[/url]

[post="0"]clicky[/post]

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='20908' date='Jun 20 2007, 05:38 PM']I think you're right. I don't think I've ever seen a corvette with a pot in that high position. Perhaps he felt it got in the way or something.[/quote]
I think these two gents have it right.
Check out other Corvettes, FNAs, $$, Passive, active. They all have their controls in the good old "Musicman Smile" arrangement- a curve following the shape of the lower bout.
Streamers have the diamond layout (as a rule)

Look closer at this Corvette, and you can see that the diamond shape is not symmetrical as it is on other Warwicks (and Spectors).

My interpretation;
It's difficult to say if it was originally active or passive. Either way, you've got a serviceable and good looking instrument.
The cavity looks entirely normal for a Warwick, so a 9v can be installed for active circuitry if you want.
As for the hole, either put a dummy control in it, or put a real one in there that does something!
The world is your oyster;

Vol,Vol,Tone,Tone.
Vol, Balance, Bass, Treble

Even more options with stacked pots!

Edit-For £250, I'd be running away with it, laughing. A bargain, hole or no hole!

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

I know some guys actually remove the volume knob (leaving the shaft in place) as they're constantly hitting it as a result of their playing style. Maybe this guy as suy says took it one step further?

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='20998' date='Jun 20 2007, 08:13 PM']I think these two gents have it right.
Check out other Corvettes, FNAs, $$, Passive, active. They all have their controls in the good old "Musicman Smile" arrangement- a curve following the shape of the lower bout.
Streamers have the diamond layout (as a rule)

Look closer at this Corvette, and you can see that the diamond shape is not symmetrical as it is on other Warwicks (and Spectors).

My interpretation;
It's difficult to say if it was originally active or passive. Either way, you've got a serviceable and good looking instrument.
The cavity looks entirely normal for a Warwick, so a 9v can be installed for active circuitry if you want.
As for the hole, either put a dummy control in it, or put a real one in there that does something!
The world is your oyster;

Vol,Vol,Tone,Tone.
Vol, Balance, Bass, Treble

Even more options with stacked pots!

Edit-For £250, I'd be running away with it, laughing. A bargain, hole or no hole![/quote]

Is this easy to do?

I have a pal in Preston who makes guitars for a living, would it be a 2 minute job for him?

[quote name='dazco' post='21019' date='Jun 20 2007, 08:48 PM']Is this easy to do?

I have a pal in Preston who makes guitars for a living, would it be a 2 minute job for him?[/quote]

Daz,
A simple re-wire would not pose a prob for your bud .... decide what you want the other pot to do and then he shuld be able to get a wiring dia if he doesnt know how to do it anyway.....

Looks a doosey for £250 :wub: ---- keep it play it and if you decide to upgrade to active it sounds like a real and viable option