Why become a member? ×

Fret Buzz after a setup..Adjust the Truss Rod or Saddle

ZenBasses

I recently had my 4 string GB repaired and set up by Jon Shuker who did a sterling job. Bass played like butter

However his workshop isn't the warmest in the world (its amazing how some of the best makers have to make do with a industrial unit with no heating in order to make a living and still turn out top classes instruments.. Hats off to him)

A few days later and my bass now has acclimatised and the action has gone low..resulting in major fret buzz.. Frets 1-10 across all string but interestingly its worst of the E and G

I'll admit to not being a master when it come setting up.. He sorted the saddle height for me and I am reluctant to start raising the saddles

So I am thinking of adjusting the truss rod 1/4 maybe 1/2 turn?

Is this the best course of action?

Any help as always greatly appreciated

Cheers Ben

maybe try a lefty loosy quarter turn - leave it for 3 or 4 days and see how it settles - if you need to adjust the saddle grub screws do similar thing and just bring each saddle up half a turn at a time and wait for the neck to settle - personally i would do just the neck and then leave a few days and then adjust the saddles next - that way you will get a feel a bit more of what is going on with the neck movement rather than adjusting two variables at once (ie truss and saddles) as is f you make too much adjustment all at once you can often spend days chasing it all back and forth by keep overcompensating the opposite way before its all had a chance to settle down

might be an idea to keep a note of how much adjustment you make - so you know how far you have adjusted in total from where Jon set it up in his workshop

Yes, truss rod would be first thing to look at, and as Steve says, 1/4 turn, see if it settles. And good idea to document what done and when. Seeing as Jon has adjusted the saddles to the neck radius, I`d leave them alone for the time being.

[quote name='ZenBasses' timestamp='1356654731' post='1912208']
I recently had my 4 string GB repaired and set up by Jon Shuker who did a sterling job. Bass played like butter

However his workshop isn't the warmest in the world (its amazing how some of the best makers have to make do with a industrial unit with no heating in order to make a living and still turn out top classes instruments.. Hats off to him)

A few days later and my bass now has acclimatised and the action has gone low..resulting in major fret buzz.. Frets 1-10 across all string but interestingly its worst of the E and G

I'll admit to not being a master when it come setting up.. He sorted the saddle height for me and I am reluctant to start raising the saddles

So I am thinking of adjusting the truss rod 1/4 maybe 1/2 turn?

Is this the best course of action?

Any help as always greatly appreciated

Cheers Ben
[/quote]
If you were happy enough to take it to Mr Shuker for a setup why on earth don't you give him a call & explain, I'm sure he can offer some of the best advice you could hope for :o

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1356735009' post='1913158']
I'd be a bit worried as to how stable your bass is going to be if it's affected that much by a temperature change.
[/quote]

Lots of basses (short of graphite necked basses) would show a similar behaviour going between temperature extremes. Not all players will notice a neck shift - it all depends how low your action is. If you have a cigarette paper action, then any temperature change is likely to lead to some fret choking.

Anyway, if the bass played right and now doesn't, its the neck which has moved as the saddles won't move anywhere (unless there is something major up with them!) - A quarter turn as suggested will fix the issues.

Makes me think the action was set a mite to low if room temp has had an effect on the neck. I used to have a really low action on my geddy lee jazz but because it was such a slim neck the slightest temp change caused notes to choke and strings to rattle. I ended up raising the action a couple of mm which didn't really effect the playability but stopped me having to carry an allen key everywhere with me in case my strings started rattling at a gig in a hot room.