Why become a member? ×

Cars for Bassplayers

cloudburst

I'd add my voice to those suggesting either the Mazda 6 or the new Mondeo. They're essentially the same car, but they do have by far one of the largest boots of all the family saloons out there. The Mondeo is great to drive, and if you get the 2l diesel, then you get some good fuel economy too.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1356429631' post='1910113']
I have an Avant A6 Quattro. There is no chance of fitting 3 normal-length bass hard cases in the boot, you will have to put part of the rear seat down.

Why 4WD? There's no way you'd want to take one of these off-road.
[/quote]

And to the case (geddit?!) in point...

So, the A6. This model is a 2010 Le Man S-line. Won't fit the case directly, but the boot is large in any case and pretty cavernous with the seats and down and pillar removed.

And, for comparison, an A4 - this is a 53 plate, 2.0 TFSI. It's the wife's, and is regularly found lugging bits and pieces of outdoor and horsey equipment.

So... like the A6, it won't fit the case flat without some adjustment, but is a pretty useful space. Naturally, like all Audi's, reliability is great - which is good, as parts can be expensive when not - and should run for 100k-200k, easily enough.

Felt more helpful than regaling you with tales of just how much equipment I used to fit in smaller previous cars :)

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1356469645' post='1910437']
Mondeo estate ticks all the boxes for me.
[/quote]

Or a Cougar 2.5 (same plate afaik) if you want a bit of a classic. :) Vast capacity for a saloon.

Subarru Forester ticks a few boxes as well.

Edited by fatback

It might, just about - I put my double gig bag in diagonally, and that fits. The only challenge is that the seats are at an angle, and there's a pillar across the back - which supports the seats, and contains the cargo shelf cover and dog mesh. It's deeper at the bottom than the top.

If you wanted the case in, without issues, just drop a seat.

Very well done mate!

I think I may have mentioned :-) but I'm not interested in various attempts to enter the Guinness Book Of Records for the amazing feat of spending ages in the rain stuffing lots of big stuff into a small car.

I'm interested to know what would be an ideal car (which is also 4wd) to swallow my gear with the minimum of effort and faffing around.

CB

Volvo V70? My mate can get his Hiscox flat across the boot of his with the amp behind it, seats still up. My dad used to have a 240 estate, now THAT was band transport :lol:

I've found 4x4s to be smaller inside too, I run a Fabia and have no problems getting my gear in along with PA and guitarists. I struggle with a full size drum kit in those Hardcase cases though. Dad went from a Golf estate to a Freelander and lost a lot of space in there, then a couple of years ago went from the Landy to a long wheelbased Mercedes A Class, rear seats clip out, and it becomes a van.

If anything getting a 4x4 will be doing you no favours, as you also have to lift gear higher up. I know a guy who carries all his stuff around in a BMW 640Ci!

Subaru Legacy type est They say 2.5l upwards is a hoot and well specc'd.
Travelled to the alps in a few and they are very good on the autoroutes.

Depends how good the 4WD/AWD needs to be.

Friend of mine used a Toerag on snow without winter tyres and it was woeful.. With winter tyres, different beast.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1356692442' post='1912403']
Friend of mine used a Toerag on snow without winter tyres and it was woeful.. With winter tyres, different beast.
[/quote]

That's interesting. I use my Jeep Wrangler on snow with the usual tires and it is fantastic. You can pretty much forget you're on snow :-) But there's very little space in the back - even with the seat folded!

CB

Edited by cloudburst

If I got a transit van, I'd need to polish up on my "alright luv, get yer nickers aff" and associated lines. Too much effort.

Subaru. Too Japanese.

Discovery...hmm, I'd need to practise liking them... Annoyingly, they do seem like the sensible choice in the LR range.

CB

Discovery - i had 2 off them few yrs back now and bodywork was forever getting repaired under warranty for oxidation. Think the newer version made by Ford are far better though but i keep hearing comments about niggling little faults with them so check out reviews before buying one and def buy the diesel as petrol ones are very thirsty.

Another option is the Mitsubishi Sport or Challenger which was originally an import but far cheaper than the Shogun although a bit more basic inside. Again Japanese tho.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Thing is, IMO... do you need an out and out 4x4 or something that is decent?
4x4/AWD can be a lot of extra weight which isn't good on running costs.

I like the Audi version of the Toerag.. and seems bigger that usual.
But the Mondeos and Insignias are huge inside, esp the estates.

For a driving car, I'd go for a larger engined BMW or Audi est..if you can't get your head around Japanese but I honestly would not put a
high spec Legacy much behind the higher end German cars. Check out a Spec B.

But for the sheer hell of it.. The Porsche sounds good... but would you wreck it with band gear..??

4x4s - don't need an suv, just something with 4wd.
Cayenne - would look at an S or GTS but not a Turbo. Would buy secondhand and not worry about 'using' it.
RS6 - just can't get my head around the size. I'm only 5'6" :-) If the seat needs to fold, then I may as well have an RS4. Or an S3/RS3 if they'd work.
Audi Q series - don't like the looks. They look like whales IMO.
BMW estate - looked at an M5 Touring. Tempting but a) rwd (I already have a wayward rwd BMW) and B) too fragile.
Anything japanese - won't happen - I'd really need to change my head around.

CB