Why become a member? ×

Spotted a p bass in the pawn shop

mentalextra

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1356113800' post='1907119']
If it's from the Affinity range (small enclosed tuners) it's not that great a bargain. Otherwise, if the neck's good, I'd buy it.
[/quote]

Yeah, I had a quick look and it looked like it had spent most of its time in a cupboard, but the "affinity" aspect worried me. How can you tell?

Usually by the 'Affinity Series' label at the top of the headstock. :P

As was pointed out to me earlier today, it's only on the Affinity Series that it actually says 'P-Bass'. On the old Standard Series and the newer CV and VM Series' it would say 'Precision Bass'.

To a certain extent, I think the Affinity Series has an undeservedly bad rep. There are certainly some awful ones out there, but many of the more recent (ie. 2000 onwards) ones I've seen have had more-or-less the same hardware as other Squier models - full size tuners, etc.

It's also worth noting that the Affinity Series are now £160+ new, so if it's a newer one in good nick, £60 is a pretty good deal.

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1356116896' post='1907174']

As was pointed out to me earlier today, it's only on the Affinity Series that it actually says 'P-Bass'. On the old Standard Series and the newer CV and VM Series' it would say 'Precision Bass'.

To a certain extent, I think the Affinity Series has an undeservedly bad rep. There are certainly some awful ones out there, but many of the more recent (ie. 2000 onwards) ones I've seen have had more-or-less the same hardware as other Squier models - full size tuners, etc.

It's also worth noting that the Affinity Series are now £160+ new, so if it's a newer one in good nick, £60 is a pretty good deal.
[/quote]

I wasnt there looking for a bass to be honest. It was pure fluke I noticed it hanging on the wall and wandered over for a look. But Its been bugging me all evening. I cant help thinking it was worth a punt. I might go back for a second look. I am not too bothered about the affinity, but more whether its a cheap bass with a Fender squier sticker. Not being an expert on p bass it did look a little "short" :huh:

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1356116896' post='1907174']

[/quote]

Im pretty sure it "didnt" say affinity on the headstock

I had an Affinity Series Precision, and was amazed at the quality and playability for a cheap instrument - going back about 6 years when new they were about £100 or so. Really, a very good instrument. £60 for one of these is a nice deal, as is the one Shonks is selling on here for £80. Great bass either as an intro to Precisions, or as a backup.

I used an affinity p bass a while back for a modding project and it turned out really well.

If you can get it somewhere around £50 it would be a good deal.

The pups and electrics aren't brilliant but you could get a few bob for them on Ebay. Then upgrade and you will have a decentish instrument, so long as the truss rod and neck are ok.

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1356289133' post='1908866']
Do these places make thorough checks on authenticity, seems to me that Fender decals are cheap to buy?
[/quote]

Probably not, but if you were going to go to the trouble of sticking a new decal on, why put a Squier one on, not a Fender? Certainly there are plenty of fake Fenders around (I'm sure I've seen a few threads here about them) but they're easy enough to spot. Most of them aren't particularly well done.

If you're worried about fake Squiers (unless you're talking about the 80s Jap Squiers, I think this would be really unusual) I think the things to check would be the neck plate - should have an engraved Squier logo, and the back of the headstock - should have a decal with country of manufacture and serial number. At least this is true for my Squier Jazz ('06 Standard Series).

Years ago I spotted an old battered and chipped but beautifully real McCoy Sting signature Fender model in a branch of cash converters for £50.00. The shop attendant said that they couldn't wait to get rid of it as it was making the shop look bad. I wryly smiled and played it and it was a beauty; but here the story goes bad.
I didn't notice the sneaky sweaty geek who was watching from behind the DVD stand and as I set it down to go to the autobank next door he swooped and plucked the deal from below my nose.
Lesson learnt - if it seems good, at least put a deposit down before you release it from your mucky paws and don't fall for the disinterested passer by who hangs around like a stale smell pretending to be ignoring you but is about to gazzump your booty.

Same process as buying any bass in my opinion. Take your favourite bass to the shop (and amp if necessary) and try both basses together so you can directly compare.

If it's a good bass buy it. If it isn't, don't. For £60 I wouldn't worry what model it is or what logo is on it, it's either good or it isn't.