Why become a member? ×

Performing on Cruise Ships

mattcbass

Hi all,

I'm in a 5 piece function band that is currently applying/auditioning for cruise ship contracts. Was hoping to get any feedback and advice from those who have played on them before. Either in the show band or as a function/party band.

What are the best and worst bits of the job?

Thanks in advance!

I have done a quite a few over the years - but only in the production shows band.
Best bits for me were visiting the great resorts of the world [and meeting my wife - she was a singer/dancer in a show]
Worst bits - two to a cabin, hard work when you are trying to get it on with your future wife.

Good luck with the auditions, and enjoy it, you can have a great time.

Garry

If our keyboard player is anything to go by, the best thing is the constant supply of drugs and the worst thing is... the constant supply of drugs.

There's a good thread on the subject here http://basschat.co.uk/topic/173458-got-my-first-cruise-gig-starting-on-sunday-advice-please/page__st__20__p__1618647__hl__cruise__fromsearch__1#entry1618647

I also met my girlfriend on a ship.
If you are going on as a band there are basically two situations you'll be in (at least on the ships I've
done). One is basically playing a lot of ballroom stuff for dancers and some easy listening pop and jazz.
The other is as the main party band,where you will have to play pretty much everything. You'll be expected
to be able to play for the various theme nights (country,'70's, '50's/60's etc),sailaway deck sets,early evening
ballroom set,and depending on the time of year you may have to do big themed parties (New Year,Jubilee,etc).
We have even covered for the orchestra at some of the Captains Parties where we had to read the orchestra's
pad (I even depped one show for the orchestra's bass player once).
It sound's like a lot,and it is really,but you won't be doing all of that in a day.Our contract's say we can be made
to play up to 5 hours a day,but it's normally about 2 and half-3,sometimes more,sometimes less.
You will have to know a lot of songs (because you'll see the same faces every night of a cruise) and you will have to
play songs that you wouldn't in a regular UK function band (Jimmy Buffet anyone?).
You pretty much only play at night,unless you do an afternoon deck set or sailaway,so you have all day to go around the
ports and do whatever as long as you're back for your set.
With regards to the constant supply of drugs,I've seen guys get thrown off if they are found to have taken anything-we've
even had drug dogs come aboard in port.
You get used to the sea sickness quickly,although it can still get to you if it's particularly rough. The worst bit for me is that
depending on the company you may be expected to do emergency drills.It's not really a big deal,but it's a bit of a pain in
the arse.

Thanks guys for the replies.

I'd love to play for the shows, my sight reading isn't amazing but I would embrace the challenge if I ever got the chance.

We've almost learnt enough songs from each decade/genre to manage a full night's worth of each so that aspect shouldn't be an issue. The lead singer also plays clarinet so that could come in handy if we ever needed some jazz/easy listening instrumentals.

Did you find that it was easy getting your first contract? We've applied to a few agents and some go cold after we say we haven't had any ship experience and a few just haven't got any work at the moment.

[quote name='mattcbass' timestamp='1356110485' post='1907068']
Thanks guys for the replies.

I'd love to play for the shows, my sight reading isn't amazing but I would embrace the challenge if I ever got the chance.

We've almost learnt enough songs from each decade/genre to manage a full night's worth of each so that aspect shouldn't be an issue. The lead singer also plays clarinet so that could come in handy if we ever needed some jazz/easy listening instrumentals.

Did you find that it was easy getting your first contract? We've applied to a few agents and some go cold after we say we haven't had any ship experience and a few just haven't got any work at the moment.
[/quote][quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1356218907' post='1908195']
I'd love to jump on a ship in 2013. I need to shed hard at the start of 2013 and will apply in the summer to be a member of the show bands. The hardest part for me will be shedding hard to prep for an audition.
[/quote]

I've not done a cruise ship but I have done a lot of research on it and have been taught by quite a few ex-cruiseers(?). I have also recently been in contact with the head of entertainment of a few cruises (can't remember the companies name).

Firstly you don't seem to need any "chops" to play cruises, its mostly reading or just playing old songs so shedding is not necessary. On that point apparently because of the ships cliental, I have been told most of the music is 30's and 40's swing, sometimes venturing into 60's and 70's.

For auditions, it will be different for every MD/ company but, confidence, a smile and good execution seem's to be what the people I have spoken to look for. As for getting auditions; a C.V, link to videos, website, photo's ect. Pretty standard.

I decided that it wasn't for me but lots of people enjoy it.

Edited by OliverBlackman

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1356221649' post='1908216']
Firstly you don't seem to need any "chops" to play cruises, its mostly reading or just playing old songs so shedding is not necessary. On that point apparently because of the ships cliental, I have been told most of the music is 30's and 40's swing, sometimes venturing into 60's and 70's.
[/quote]

On the first part,on the cruises that I've done,the repertoir is much wider than that. The Orchestra will be playing mainly whatever
the shows require (Standards,Motown,Pop..whatever) and whatever the guest acts bring on,which could be just about
anything.
The Party band will be playing anything.You might play a set of dances (waltz,quickstep etc) to old standards,or you
might play a set of really modern stuff (Lady Gaga,Taylor Swift,Justin Timberlake etc) and anything in between. You need
a big variety of material to choose from. The cliental differs depending on the cruise and the time of year so you need to
cater for everyone-American passengers like different things to the Brits,so you need to be aware of that and play songs
that you'd never dream of playing here.
With regards to not needing chops,you probably won't be soloing much,but you need enough chops to be able to read
and play what is required of you correctly,first time.
I'm off to the Caribbean in February.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1356273832' post='1908613']

On the first part,on the cruises that I've done,the repertoir is much wider than that. The Orchestra will be playing mainly whatever
the shows require (Standards,Motown,Pop..whatever) and whatever the guest acts bring on,which could be just about
anything.
The Party band will be playing anything.You might play a set of dances (waltz,quickstep etc) to old standards,or you
might play a set of really modern stuff (Lady Gaga,Taylor Swift,Justin Timberlake etc) and anything in between. You need
a big variety of material to choose from. The cliental differs depending on the cruise and the time of year so you need to
cater for everyone-American passengers like different things to the Brits,so you need to be aware of that and play songs
that you'd never dream of playing here.
With regards to not needing chops,you probably won't be soloing much,but you need enough chops to be able to read
and play what is required of you correctly,first time.
I'm off to the Caribbean in February.
[/quote]
Hey Doddy, glad to hear it's not all the same. My post was from what I have been told in the past from players and an entertainment manager that I have met.
From what I was told the orchestra is usually a different band to the party band but I guess you might sometimes will need to dep in.

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1356292387' post='1908921']
From what I was told the orchestra is usually a different band to the party band but I guess you might sometimes will need to dep in.
[/quote]
Yeah they are two different bands. I've been going on with a party band,but there have been times,like I
said earlier,where we have covered some sets for the orchestra.It's not common to dep for the orchestra
guys,but it's an option if you can read and it's necessary.My band has a lot of charts,so we've even had
the guys from the orchestra dep with us at times...We've also had the horn section sit in with us,because
we've got full horn charts too.