Why become a member? ×

New purchase. Custom Shop '51 Precision Relic. Stunner.

Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='Seb_C' timestamp='1356000655' post='1905436']
Is the headstock thinner as a result of this, or is there more meat on the back of the headstock to compensate?

How thick it the neck at 1st and 12th frets?
[/quote]

No, not at all, it's just the internal radius routing on the top side, is smaller, the headtsock thickness will be, and is, the same. The reissues, and even the original Telecaster basses have a much slower radius, which shows the walnut cap as much more elongated. Hope this makes sense, it just drops away from just past the nut, much sharper, less smooth than the newer ones. This profile was used, i believe, until the rosewood came in, in '59.

The neck is approx 22mm at the 1st, and 12th frets (Tape measure used, as i don't have a micrometer, which would be more precisie obviously). nOt sure how that compares with my original, I must check, but i would bet it's very similar, it certainly feels the same. It's certainly not a V-neck like my '56, or super slim like my '58. Not a baseball bat either, like many say about the early P's. In my experience, thats a bit of a myth anyway, I've played clumpier necked Telecasters than the early P's I've played..

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1356018632' post='1905810']
No, not at all, it's just the internal radius routing on the top side, is smaller, the headtsock thickness will be, and is, the same. The reissues, and even the original Telecaster basses have a much slower radius, which shows the walnut cap as much more elongated. Hope this makes sense, it just drops away from just past the nut, much sharper, less smooth than the newer ones. This profile was used, i believe, until the rosewood came in, in '59.

The neck is approx 22mm at the 1st, and 12th frets (Tape measure used, as i don't have a micrometer, which would be more precisie obviously). nOt sure how that compares with my original, I must check, but i would bet it's very similar, it certainly feels the same. It's certainly not a V-neck like my '56, or super slim like my '58. Not a baseball bat either, like many say about the early P's. In my experience, thats a bit of a myth anyway, I've played clumpier necked Telecasters than the early P's I've played..
[/quote]

That makes perfect sense, thank you :)

22mm sounds nice. Re: baseball bats, I have heard more about early Telecasters with 1" necks.

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1355972777' post='1905245']
It is fantastic to see part of your lovely collection. I can't wait for the wall full of precision history to be in full display !! :)
[/quote]

Here it is Chris, Father Christmas bought me a batch of String Swings (my good lady never fails to deliver!!!), so a couple of hours this morning, and the wall is complete, from left to right: '52; '56; '58; '60; '66 Slab.
there's a few tweaks to do, the '52 needs the covers, and the '56 needs new strings (in the post). I'll add another pic when the strings and covers are fitted.

I think it looks pretty cool. B)

Closer up (Excuse the crap photography!)

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1356550582' post='1911114']
Here it is Chris, Father Christmas bought me a batch of String Swings (my good lady never fails to deliver!!!), so a couple of hours this morning, and the wall is complete, from left to right: '52; '56; '58; '60; '66 Slab.
there's a few tweaks to do, the '52 needs the covers, and the '56 needs new strings (in the post). I'll add another pic when the strings and covers are fitted.

I think it looks pretty cool. B)

Closer up (Excuse the crap photography!)

[/quote] woah look at that!

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1356652339' post='1912174']
Rick,

That's a really lovely instrument. But what's your motivation, given the original (and similar) '52 that you have? Surely you're experiencing the law of diminishing returns?

CB
[/quote]

Thanks.

Diminishing returns?, not sure what you mean by that exactly, perhaps you can elaborate?

Motivation?, that's an easy one to answer. I love slab P basses from '51 to '53, I've owned a few, and have 2 already, but these are very limited (15 examples made), and are the most authentic looking model bass I've ever seen from the Custom Shop, bar none.

Its a stunning instrument, I saw it, played it, loved it, wanted it, so bought it, does there need to be any other motivation? Isn't this the same way most of us buy our basses?, Oh, and it was a bargain, which took the usual period of deliberation away from me! :D

Hey Rick - enjoy it mate. Not trying to take anything away from your purchase at all - I was really just wondering what it gave you over and above the original.
Law of Diminishing Returns - it's just about your first bass/drink/whatever giving you a big buzz and each successive one giving you progressively less of a hit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminishing_returns

CB

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1356776137' post='1913390']
Hey Rick - enjoy it mate. Not trying to take anything away from your purchase at all - I was really just wondering what it gave you over and above the original.
Law of Diminishing Returns - it's just about your first bass/drink/whatever giving you a big buzz and each successive one giving you progressively less of a hit.
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminishing_returns"]http://en.wikipedia....nishing_returns[/url]

CB
[/quote]

The main thing it gives me over the original, is that i can play it on a daily basis. Diminishing Returns, right, with you now. That certainly exists, although a CS reissue is never going to give you a great buzz if you already have an original is it?

It does get harder to be satisfied, the more you get, but we all have a wants list, and anything that gets ticked off, is a big buzz. The 4005 i bought only last month was a huge buzz, as I've wanted one for 20+ years. The '58 Mandocaster was the same, and that was a relatively cheap purchase, so it doesnt have to be a big money buy to be rewarding, likewise, finding a matching 1st series JV Precision to go with my Jazz was also a great day indeed, and that cost me £300.

Finding a near mint pink paisley tele bass was another satisfying day. And there will be others, as a collector/player, you're always on the hunt, and just tracking some of these things down is a challenge in itself, so actually finding one for sale, and getting it, is extremely satisfying and rewarding, like the '52 TV Bassman amp, impossible to find, only made for 5 months, I'd only ever seen 2 before, neither of which were for sale, both were in books, so getting one of those was just amazing.

So yes, there is an element of diminishing returns, but never on the 'real' stuff, far from it.

The Custom Shop Relic '51 will probably be sold/traded within the next 12 months, because it is my 3rd one, and it's surplus to requirements, I buy many items because of their value for money, and they are then sold/traded to help fund the next 'real' one on my list. The '51 CS is one of those.

Rick.

Makes sense. Just need to make sure you get all that playing done on it - the playing that you wanted to do on the original one :-) Hope you enjoy.
I'm a bit like that with rare cars. I go to great lenghts to get a peach - but then I leave it out in all weathers and use it as an ordinary car - whilst other collectors shudder in disbelief :-)

CB