Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Para Driver vs Bass Driver

Stroopy121

So I'm, looking to invest in one of these babies, means I'll be able to axe my OD-B and will also be handy for most of the gigs I do as I generally get DI'd straight to the board, so running my DI from a sansamp means I'll get a nice, ballsy FOH sound.

ANYWAY - what's the difference between the para driver and the bass driver? The para driver seems more tweakable, but is 6 of one... or is it worth holding out for a bargain on a para driver rather than a bass driver?

xx

the natural response of both the para-driver and the bass-driver is mid scooped, quiet a bit. To counter this on the bass-driver is to blend in the clean, but personally it's never the same as actually adding mids. The para-driver has a stand alone mid cut/boost and frequency select so it's easier to add mids in, plus it's more usuable for other instruments, inherently they are pretty much the same, but I would try a bass-driver before you count it out.

I just prefer the para-driver but I ended up moving it on as it wasn't for me.

I loved the BDDI, especially once i found the magic spot on the blend control. The lack of mids never really bothered me as my rig is quite mid heavy anyway.
Ive never gone fo ra dirty tone so hardly ever used the drive control about 9 o'clock.
I got curious earlier this year and sold the BDDI and got a Paradriver. The PD has less of that SVT emulation in it, although it can still do those sort of tones. Since getting the PD ive stopped using the EQ on my amp.
The PD's EQ is very powerful, especially the mid control, on top of that you still have a blend knob. If anything i feel my options are too many now. The BDDI was more a set and forget whereas im always tweaking the PD, trying to get the best out of it.

I'd say neither will replace a OD pedal but i guess it depends on how much OD you actually use. Ive gigged my BDDI without an amp and it works very well. I think id rather use the BDDI than the PD in this situation but thats just my opinion.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1355848832' post='1903627']
the natural response of both the para-driver and the bass-driver is mid scooped, quiet a bit. To counter this on the bass-driver is to blend in the clean, but personally it's never the same as actually adding mids. The para-driver has a stand alone mid cut/boost and frequency select so it's easier to add mids in, plus it's more usuable for other instruments, inherently they are pretty much the same, but I would try a bass-driver before you count it out.

I just prefer the para-driver but I ended up moving it on as it wasn't for me.
[/quote]

This.

They both knack your mids to different degrees.

I got a behringer one to see if I liked it before shelling out on the sansamp and have never got round to getting the sansamp.It has lasted well and works a treat
Hartke vxl is a different animal but is good as well.The chrome knobs are hard to see when gigging.The mid scoop thingy is good but I tend to use the bdi21 cause it,s easy to use-plug in and play.

[quote name='Stroopy121' timestamp='1355931733' post='1904652']
Thanks for the advice guys!

Any other recommendations for other pre-amp/DI pedals?

Looking at the Hartke VXL just now as well.

xx
[/quote]

In the last few years I've had a sansamp BDDI, a DHA VT1-Eq-Bass-Drive, and a Hartke Bass Attack.

The BDDI got moved on quickly, I liked the DHA but it did a lot more than I needed it to, and the Bass Attack is great. The Bass Attack is what I'm using now.

Ahhhh the berhinger sounds like a shout! Might do the same as Bassmachine and get the berhinger as a "mean time" solution and see what I think. Other temptation is the EHX 2ube but it doesn't have a DI out, which is rather annoying, but then again most venues I play have a DI box wired into their PA and into the house amp so odds I won't need XLR out THAT often....

xx

I too started off with the BDI21. I had just one gig approaching where i couldn't use back line and wasn't going to splash out for a BDDI. At £20 (back then) i figured i'd use the BDI21 for one gig and if i never used it again i hadn't really lost anything. I tried a few times after that to use it with my rig but it never seemed to do what i wanted it to do. A few years later i was about to sell it so i thought i'd gig it a go at a gig to make sure it was still working and, well, i was hooked. Its all in the blend control apparently. Keep that fairly low and it works really well.
As i use it as an always off effect, just sitting on my amp i wasn't too bothered about it breaking but i did like the idea of something a bit sturdier. I never use the Presence knob so i didn't miss that. To my ears the BDDI is a bit warmer, more vintage compared to the BDI21 but i like both.