Why become a member? ×

What brand are the Emperors new clothes ?

Black Coffee

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1356086836' post='1906570']
You have an issue about re-issues?

I hope you don't start to like them and then decide you don't like them later on again because then you'd have a re-issue about re-issues
[/quote]
EBMM have re issued a sterling as the classic re issue but it was not an issue in the first place, I have an issue with that :lol: I am always amazed at how good the condition of peoples 57 P basses are or I think wow nice 75 Jazz thats mint, Oh hang on they missed the Ri off their sig :o

I think the whole guitar/bass market is currently VERY focussed on classic designs, such as the Precision and Les Paul.

I am aware there has always been a massive market for them, no matter what, but I remember a time only 15-16 years ago when it was quite different in the guitar shops. Especially with basses. Nowhere near as many 'classic' style basses, and EBMM basses were quite rare!

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1356005009' post='1905516']
We had trouble with our broadband not working very well (the router was plugged into a telephone extension upstairs) My boss suggested that there should be some spare cores in the cable and I should "double them up" I did and yeehah, much faster and a much more reliable connection.
[/quote]

Can you explain this a little more. I have to use a router upstairs on a long phone extension too. What exactly do you mean by double them up?

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1356116876' post='1907173'] Can you explain this a little more. I have to use a router upstairs on a long phone extension too. What exactly do you mean by double them up? [/quote]
Because our phone-line comes to the house at roof height, I have it so it comes straight into the upstairs room that has the computers and router in it, so it is the shortest route possible. The main land-line phone base is in the same room, the handsets are wireless. The PC and the Wii in the livingroom are wireless and the PC in the conservatory is connected to the router by a network that goes through the mains. The PC in the livingroom will also me on the mains network soon, too. This way I get the best broadband speed possible for where we are, which, considering that I live in the middle of nowhere and on a phone-line, not cable, isn't brilliant, so I have to get the best out of it I can. My current download speed maxes out at about 1.4gb/s, but is normally only 1gb/s.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1356209508' post='1908076']
Because our phone-line comes to the house at roof height, I have it so it comes straight into the upstairs room that has the computers and router in it, so it is the shortest route possible. The main land-line phone base is in the same room, the handsets are wireless. The PC and the Wii in the livingroom are wireless and the PC in the conservatory is connected to the router by a network that goes through the mains. The PC in the livingroom will also me on the mains network soon, too. This way I get the best broadband speed possible for where we are, which, considering that I live in the middle of nowhere and on a phone-line, not cable, isn't brilliant, so I have to get the best out of it I can. My current download speed maxes out at about 1.4gb/s, but is normally only 1gb/s.
[/quote]

OK, but is that what he meant by "doubling up"?

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1356210000' post='1908089']
OK, but is that what he meant by "doubling up"?
[/quote]
No, sorry. I was just trying to say how I get the best out of my broadband while keeping my router upstairs.

If I remember correctly, the two middle cores of a 4 core phone line are no longer used, so by doubling up I assume he is twisting the ends of two cores that are used[b]*[/b] (1 [b]2[/b] 3 4 [b]5[/b] 6) with two cores that aren't (1 [2 [b]3[/b]][[b] 4[/b] 5] 6), thus doubling the amount of wire.

[b]*[/b]There are 6 terminals but only 4 core cable is used anymore, and the first and last terminals aren't used but are still there, so they are numbered too.

All of this could be wrong, though, it's been a long time since I last meddled with phone lines, and if BT ever ask, I have [i]never[/i] meddled with phone lines, you ain't seen me, right?

Edited by KingBollock

2 and 5 are the line connections, 3 is the ringer connection from the master point to all the others (slaves), 2 and 5 must be the right way around or the line will appear to work fine but no one will be able to make your phone ring! If you are using a set of wireless phones then only the main unit that plugs in needs a master point as the base will tell the others when to ring. 4 core will probably be blue with a white flash and the opposite plus orange with a white flash and visa versa, blues normally go to 2 and 5 so remove the cable from three and put it with the blue with a white stripe and do the same with its orange counter part and double it up with the white with a blue stripe and its done, if you want to make both points able to ring a handset then fit a master to the extra point (s).

Top and bottom is 2 and 5 are the line 3 is the ringer from the master point between all slaves.

For anyone still awake or curious the master has a capcitor that charges up as someone calls you then discharges down the line to number 5 (I think if not 2) via the bell in the old handsets making it ring, years ago only a few phones could be fed off one capacitor but as the modern phones have little piezos or just tells your digital hands free set to play the simpsons theme or whatever its not really an issue anymore.

There you go how off topic can you get? :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

You may execute me but... Status basses! Well, Status' pickups and electronics together with their graphite necks to be precise. The playability and build quality is always great but the sounds are too thin for my taste. They are not nearly as good as the Germain made Bogart graphite neck basses. These basses are absolutely great! :) Sorry British!

I'll agree to disagree about Warwicks, I've only played a handful but they've each had their own sound and played really well.

As for Emperors new clothes, unless you go for really cheap rubbish these days just go for whatever suits you as a player. Personally, if you gave me a Fodera for free I'd sell it and use the profits to buy a nice UK built bass or 2 and still have enough left over for a holiday but I'm sure other people look at them with unbridled GAS.

Having said all that, US made Fenders seem very expensive when cheaper alternatives are available.

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1356272484' post='1908600']
US made fenders are one of the most common brands the emperor wears.
Nice basses but too big a step up on price just to have the letters usa on the instrument. Does that mean the rest are ribbish. I think not.
[/quote]

Mexico has the greater history of quality luthiery for sure, so as far as working from country of origin goes, that is your best bet.