Why become a member? ×

Mix opinions please

Ruiner

My band has recently been in the studio and we're having a few disagreements over the mix.

I'm a abit worried that I'm a bit close to be impartial and so would be really greatful if any of you could have a listen to this track and give me your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/buzz-killington-6/mix3-01"]https://soundcloud.c...ngton-6/mix3-01[/url]

Edited by Ruiner

This isnt a bad mix is it.Some pretty good all round tones IMO. Nice one!

If I had to be critical I'd say there is some conjestion in the track, its all on top of each other a tad and theres some build up in low mids as a result maybe (disclaimer I'm listening on cans that were once good but are now very old, and are a little the worse for wear I think - they certainly dont reach as high as they once did!). Not sure I'd have put that much grind on the bass either, or I'd try and get it to sound less like a seperate instrument alongside the bass and more like a part of the actual bass timbre...

I'd look to get the guitars panned wider, the bvs/harmonies out to the sides more as well, give that lead vocal a bigger space to work in.

The arrangement could lead you along more too, but thats maybe beyond the mix. On the other hand that is rather the nature of the genre. Like the track though, reminds me of the likes of the Cardigans...

I'm being very very critical of what I would consider a pretty good mix all round really of a good song.

Hi Bud,

Just had a quick listen and I really like the tune and the performance is fine.

Mix wise, I'd say two main problems to me are the drums and the vocals. The kit seems a bit flat and lifeless and the snare seems a little dull. The vocals could sit better in the mix, as they are buried a bit in the guitars. Maybe eq'ing/panning the guitars differently would open up more space for the vocal?

Edited by butlerk02

[quote name='butlerk02' timestamp='1355484412' post='1898943']
Hi Bud,

Just had a quick listen and I really like the tune and the performance is fine.

Mix wise, I'd say two main problems to me are the drums and the vocals. The kit seems a bit flat and lifeless and the snare seems a little dull. The vocals could sit better in the mix, as they are buried a bit in the guitars. Maybe eq'ing/panning the guitars differently would open up more space for the vocal?
[/quote]
Completely agree. Love the Marr style guitars, but the lovely vocals are not shining enough. They need more sparkle and depth in the mix.

Nice track though, really enjoyed it.

Hey guys, firstly thanks to all of you for taking the time to listen and offer your advice and kind words, it's much appreciated.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1355499047' post='1899296']
I have a problem with the bass. The notes appear uneven to me, with lower ones being quite loud and higher ones sometimes nearly disappearing. For example, the first two notes at the very beginning are loud but the third one is very quiet.
[/quote]

This is something that I've noticed but couldn't put my finger on. What's the best way of fixing this (save for getting in a bass player with a more consistant technique ;) ) A touch of compression maybe or will it possibly be cured if we pan the guitars more widely to hopefully unclutter the frequencies?

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1355483442' post='1898922']
Not sure I'd have put that much grind on the bass either, or I'd try and get it to sound less like a seperate instrument alongside the bass and more like a part of the actual bass timbre...
[/quote]

Yeah we re-amped the bass track through a Tonehammer with the AGS on and then blended this track with the original take to keep some clarity but I don't think it's worked as well as I'd hoped.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1355483442' post='1898922']
If I had to be critical I'd say there is some conjestion in the track, its all on top of each other a tad and theres some build up in low mids as a result maybe

I'd look to get the guitars panned wider, the bvs/harmonies out to the sides more as well, give that lead vocal a bigger space to work in.
[/quote]

[quote name='butlerk02' timestamp='1355484412' post='1898943']
[/quote]

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1355490571' post='1899093']
Completely agree. Love the Marr style guitars, but the lovely vocals are not shining enough. They need more sparkle and depth in the mix.

[/quote]

Seems the general consensus is add a bit more punch to the drums, pan the guitars out more to give the vocals more space in the mix and hopefully unclutter things a bit.

I'm really glad I put this up here for advice. It's so difficult to separate yourself from these things sometimes and see the bigger picture.

Hopefully I'll obtain a copy of the pro-tools sessions when it's all over in case we decide to make further changes at a later date.

Edited by Ruiner

[quote name='Ruiner' timestamp='1355530087' post='1899774']
This is something that I've noticed but couldn't put my finger on. What's the best way of fixing this (save for getting in a bass player with a more consistant technique ;) ) A touch of compression maybe or will it possibly be cured if we pan the guitars more widely to hopefully unclutter the frequencies?

[/quote]

If that doesn't do it - drop a volume envelope on the track and adjust to suit to your taste.