Why become a member? ×

Warwick Streamer $$ demo video

hamfist

Just put together a demo video of my Warwick Streamer $$ this morning. Primarily as I am selling it, but also to put it out there on the public record for posterity. Someone might find it useful one day
THere's no fancy playing, no slap, simply a straightforward run through various fingerstyle tones that the bass can do. All in the majesty of me in my pyjamas and dressing gown.
This bass is an absolute tone beast. Not only is every pickup switchable for single coil, humbucker in series or humbucker in parallel, but you have a pickup blend pot, rather than the G & L system of just the switching of each individual pickup on/off or a 50:50 mix (someone may well correct me, if the G & L system is more flexible than what I understand of it).
IMO, some of the best tones are with the bridge pickup with a bit of neck blended in, but nowhere near a 50:50 mix.
Anyway, mistakes and all ..... Enjoy !

[media]http://youtu.be/TCITwIZmnIY[/media]

Edited by hamfist

Nice bass and jimjams :)
I also liked your fav tone setting.. sounded like a decent passive Jazz ;)
That's why I like my basses simple and passive nowadays.. set and forget and none of that fiddling I was always doing with my actives, especially my old Streamer.
You may regret moving that on.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1355417060' post='1898206']
You may regret moving that on.
[/quote]

I hope not, but it's definitely a possibility. Doing the video deminitely reminded me of it's potential. If for some reason it was the only bass I could ever own, I'd be happy.

THanks guys. I agree about a lot of other videos. I just did this one like I'd want someone else to do one on a bass I was interested in.
Does anyone actually want to hear more than about 10% talking on a musical instrument demonstration video, I suspect not. Also fancy playing (not that I am capable of it) also tends to "hide" poor tone as our ears/brain respond well to the playing not the instrument.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1355500067' post='1899324']
What a great sounding bass ! I would think twice about selling it [/quote]

DOn't say that !!! I'm not listening ! I can't afford to keep both this one and my Lakkie 44-01 ...... and I do love my Lakland. Having said that, every time I watch this video I think..... Ooooooo , what a nice bass. I would really love to able to keep this one too.

[quote]
Is that a fleece dressing gown from Primark ?
[/quote]

Definitely fleece, not sure about where it came from. I was a gift from my mum. It's been perfect for the freezing weather recently. I'll check the label ... just for you.

I like Lakland basses too , but I have to be honest and tell you that if this is a German-made Warwick then it is a bit more valuable bass than a 44-01. Nice as all Lakland basses are , if you look at the dollar price price of a 4401 in the USA and compare it to the whopping £1949 current U.K retail price of the most basic model of your Warwick you will find quite a disparity . Lakland Skylines are nice basses , but your Warwick in terms of price range and overall sound and build quality is more in the range of U.S.A Lakland basses . I know there is some debate over whether the new Warwicks are as good as the old ones and are they overpriced ect , but all the new German Warwick basses I have played in the last few years have been fantastic -sounding top quality instruments built to a very high standard . I would like one myself but they are just a bit too expensive . That $$ sounds as good as any USA Lakland 44-94 , never mind a Skyline 4401.

Edit : I' ve just had a look ; you can pick up a new 4401 in the USA for less than $800 . The Warwick Streamer $$ in the same shop is discounted to $2399 . You see my point ?

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1355502183' post='1899368']
I like Lakland basses too , but I have to be honest and tell you that if this is a German-made Warwick then it is a bit more valuable bass than a 44-01. Nice as all Lakland basses are , if you look at the dollar price price of a 4401 in the USA and compare it to the whopping £1949 current U.K retail price of the most basic model of your Warwick you will find quite a disparity . Lakland Skylines are nice basses , but your Warwick in terms of price range and overall sound and build quality is more in the range of U.S.A Lakland basses . I know there is some debate over whether the new Warwicks are as good as the old ones and are they overpriced ect , but all the new German Warwick basses I have played in the last few years have been fantastic -sounding top quality instruments built to a very high standard . I would like one myself but they are just a bit too expensive . That $$ sounds as good as any USA Lakland 44-94 , never mind a Skyline 4401.

Edit : I' ve just had a look ; you can pick up a new 4401 in the USA for less than $800 . The Warwick Streamer $$ in the same shop is discounted to $2399 . You see my point ?
[/quote]

I know this all amd, yes, the Streamer is built to a very, very high standard. But the 44-01 I have is a complete gem and I don't care if it's only a modestly priced bass, it does everything exactly as I want. I like the tone and playability even more than the Streamer !
If I was keeping one as an investment I'd keep the STreamer, but as a player, I'll keep the Lakkie.

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1355566707' post='1899939']
Just a quick dressing gown update for Dingus. It seems to be homemade by my mum.
[/quote]

In that case I hope you will use some of the funds from the impending sale of your Warwick to get your mum something really nice . Best of luck with the sale - I hope you get a good price for a very desirable bass . This video should certainly help .( Why don't more people do this ? ) I completely understand about feeling more comfortable with the Lakland , and you could always upgrade the 4401 with Nordstrand Big Singles . That would bring it up to a similar level to the Warwick in terms of sound .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1355576006' post='1900086']
and you could always upgrade the 4401 with Nordstrand Big Singles . That would bring it up to a similar level to the Warwick in terms of sound .
[/quote]

no no no no no no no. The Lakkie's barts are perrrrrrfect ! I truly love them. not sure why my 44-01 seems to be so perfect, it is one of the Indonesian ones, rather than the later Korean ones, if that makes any difference whatsoever.

The Indonesian ones are just as good as the Korean ones , but are less likely to be heavy . They are made in a state -of-the-art factory belonging to Cortec , the same company that made them in Korea . If you like the 4401 so much , have you tried any of the other Laklands?

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1355594794' post='1900416']
The Indonesian ones are just as good as the Korean ones , but are less likely to be heavy . They are made in a state -of-the-art factory belonging to Cortec , the same company that made them in Korea . If you like the 4401 so much , have you tried any of the other Laklands?
[/quote]

Yes, I currently have a 55-02, which is another great bass. However, it'll be up for sale very soon, as it was another attempt to get used to 5 stringers, and I have found that I still don't get on with them. As for the tones, I know virtually everyone else seems to like the "02" series LH3 pickups and preamps better than the barts in the "01" series. However, just to be different I actually prefer the throatiness of the 01 series more. Just me, I guess I'm a bit odd.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1355607834' post='1900621']
Yes, I currently have a 55-02, which is another great bass. However, it'll be up for sale very soon, as it was another attempt to get used to 5 stringers, and I have found that I still don't get on with them. As for the tones, I know virtually everyone else seems to like the "02" series LH3 pickups and preamps better than the barts in the "01" series. However, just to be different I actually prefer the throatiness of the 01 series more. Just me, I guess I'm a bit odd.
[/quote]

I can empathise with you over the 5 string thing . I can't stand any 35inch scale bass , for a start, and have never found any 5er that I like enough to buy . If you like the Bartolini pickups then fair enough .