Why become a member? ×

Hercules Stands and Nitro finished basses

Old Horse Murphy

Dies anyone know if the foam on Hercules Bass stands interferes or affects the finish on nitro finished basses?

I'm fortunate enough to own a couple of Fender custom shop basses finished in Nitro and would be devestated if they were damaged by the foam on my Hercules Stands :)

Any ideas?

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

The foam can certainly mark an oil finish, as one of my Warwicks found out. (Though re-waxing got rid of the marks). From that I would expect it not to be safe for nitro, but I don't know the chemistry of these things.

My solution has been to put some socks over the foam parts. I gather that doesn't completely solve the problem, but it certainly slows down any effect the foam has.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1355143488' post='1894509']
The first FAQ on [url="http://www.herculesstands.com/faq.html"]this page [/url] :)
[/quote]

So...no and maybe then :lol:

[i]"As a professional stand manufacturer, HERCULES goes to great lengths to provide the highest quality and the most secure stands. HERCULES had conducted numerous experiments on our SFF foam and is pleased to find that it does not react with most of the guitar finishes in the market, including Nitrocellulose. The tests included subjecting the instruments on the stand to heat, cold and normal temperatures for periods of up to six months without movement.

However, each manufacturer has their own formulation of Nitrocellulose, with differing proportions of the chemicals involved. There are literally thousands of different variations of lacquer in use today, making it impossible to test them all. Therefore, to provide your valuable guitars with the best support, we recommend you to refer to your instrument's owners manual for more information regarding the proper storage of your instrument."[/i]

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1355144148' post='1894519']
[i]However, each manufacturer has their own formulation of Nitrocellulose. There are literally thousands of different variations of lacquer in use today, making it impossible to test them all. [/i][/quote]

Yes, but you can be pretty sure that Fender would be one of the manufacturers that they [i]did[/i] test! :)