Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anybody play the guitar aswell ?

The Hat

My experiences are different (slightly). I played bass all through college into my 20s and early 30s. I then started working with a songwriter who did drum programming, guitar, singing and piano. Naturally I wanted to raise my game so I started playing acoustic guitar quickly followed by mandolin then before I knew it I was on harmonica, banjo, lead guitar and dobro. The reality was I wasn't particularly good listening back now and spread myself far too thinly. Worried I always sounded like a bassist playing other instruments I focused on just guitar and went for lessons. My guitar playing just skyrocketed! The other instruments got left behind but a couple of years later when I started picking things up I was suddenly much, much better on all of the things I'd forgotten about.

If you are starting, focus on one thing and build up your skills a little bit before branching out. Most multi instrumentalists tend to be "jack of all trades, master of none" which is fine but get the basics down a bit on one first and you'll benefit longer term. I'm pushing 40 and still very much learning on everything now. Have fun along the way :)

Brought bass first as I loved it, delved in guitar and gigged on it, older now, only play bass and happy with that, in fact I've only time to devote to learning new covers, not really advance my bass playing, and guitar practice is way down below other interests i dont have time for.

When I started playing I didn't own and couldn't afford a bass, but a mate had guitar. So I learnt chords and solos and what not and inbetween those I'd learn basslines on the guitar. The considerably smaller string spacing improved my right hand finger picking technique immensely. When I finally got my first bass I took to it no problem. These days I own a strat but I've not played it for about 3 years. Just stick to bass, but will happily play both, bass is the definite favourite though. Naturally.

James

Learnt to play both at the same time, got to a similar standard on both but never felt like a guitarist. So decided to concentrate on bass and I really progressed, and got a lot more work as a result. Now it's come full circle and I'm getting even more work now I've made a few contacts and they know I can double. Interestingly, getting ahead on bass is now really helping with the guitar!

I got frustrated with learning chordal stuff on bass, so I took up guitar instead. Much easier to hear the differences in 7th and major 7th chords,, 6th/9th/11th and 13th chords, inversions and voicings. I kind of play guitar more than bass these days just because I'm finding it more interesting.