Why become a member? ×

Which envelope filter did Nick Fyffe use?

Gunsfreddy2003

I have just bee watching the DVD of Jamiroquai Live at Montreux 2003 and on the track Little L there is a brilliant bass break with an excellent sounding envelope filter on it.

Can anyone confirm with a degree of certainty what effects Nick Fyffe used during his stint with Jamiroquai and particularly on this track.

I have been trying to get that exact sound for years and have struggled!

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!!

Never heard of the meatball!!!

Gonna have to get one if it makes that sound!!

I know that Paul Turner uses the EHX Bassballs, Mu-Tron and MXR Bass Auto Q but they don't sound like that.

I used an EBS Bass IQ but can't get anywhere near that sound.

Anyone know if the Boss ME-50B has any similar sounds?

Just sold my ME-6B which had a similar sound but the bottom end dropped out in live use so no good.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='197763' date='May 13 2008, 10:11 AM']Was the Meatball, 100% sure on this thanks :)[/quote]

I've not tried a POD, but I'm really impressed with the filter on my Line6 Lowdown amp (it's modelled after the Q-Tron). Sounds better than the Zoom B2 and Digitech BSW which are the only other filters I've ever had to compare it too. But I've got a tasty Tonefactor 442 filter in the post, I'm hoping it pisses all over the Line6 one!

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='198129' date='May 13 2008, 05:13 PM']I've not tried a POD, but I'm really impressed with the filter on my Line6 Lowdown amp (it's modelled after the Q-Tron). Sounds better than the Zoom B2 and Digitech BSW which are the only other filters I've ever had to compare it too. But I've got a tasty Tonefactor 442 filter in the post, I'm hoping it pisses all over the Line6 one![/quote]

It will do.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='198129' date='May 13 2008, 05:13 PM']But I've got a tasty Tonefactor 442 filter in the post, I'm hoping it pisses all over the Line6 one![/quote]i'd be interested to hear your opinions on this as i loved the one on my lowdown and have been tempted by a 442 quite a bit

Shameless plug coming up:

I'm selling at EXAR Pignose enevlope filter here for £60 posted.. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17127"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17127[/url]

You can here some sound clips here [url="http://www.public-peace.de/exar/pignose/pignose.htm"]http://www.public-peace.de/exar/pignose/pignose.htm[/url] I don't know how close they are to the sound you are looking for though as I haven't seen the dvd.

Cheers
Chris

That's my fault for causing confusion whilst derailing the original thread to talk about my new 442 pedal! So ignore that one, it's probably not the the sound the OP was looking for (Meatball), not sure how close the Pignose comes though...

I just found out that Lovetone went out of business some time ago!

Would therefore think that any Meatball is going to be hugely expensive now.

Interested to hear which filters people have used and really do give you that squelchy funk sound from the 70's?

I will start off:

EXH Bassballs - Great sound at home but lacks a bit of bottom end for live use.

EHX Q-Tron - Not bad at all but just not squelchy enough for me.

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live - A really great auto wah sound but the rest of the unit is just too complicated for me. Went back to stomp boxes after owning that beast!

Boss ME-6B - The Dynamic Wah on this board is awesome and the closest thing that I have found to the Stuart Zender sound but again I found the rest of the board hard to use and also it is getting on a bit now.

EBS Bass IQ - Probably the best that I have owned so far and still using it and will be at my gig tonight.

Never tried the MXR bass auto q or DOD FX25B so thoughts on these would be good.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='199450' date='May 15 2008, 11:54 AM']That's my fault for causing confusion whilst derailing the original thread to talk about my new 442 pedal! So ignore that one, it's probably not the the sound the OP was looking for (Meatball), not sure how close the Pignose comes though...[/quote]

The Meatball goes for about £400+ nowadays.

The Original Mutron will you get you the 70's squelch, as that is the very unit that defined the sound. Usually around the same price as the Meatball though!

The Maxon AF-9 is the only filter readily available that even comes CLOSE to the Mutron - I would go for one of those if you can.

The Auto Q is great, but isn't what you are looking for I don't think.

The FX25B is sh*te, the original (FX25) is better - But still lacks a bit of bottom end.

[quote name='Higgie' post='199768' date='May 15 2008, 05:22 PM']The Meatball goes for about £400+ nowadays.

The Original Mutron will you get you the 70's squelch, as that is the very unit that defined the sound. Usually around the same price as the Meatball though!

The Maxon AF-9 is the only filter readily available that even comes CLOSE to the Mutron - I would go for one of those if you can.

The Auto Q is great, but isn't what you are looking for I don't think.

The FX25B is sh*te, the original (FX25) is better - But still lacks a bit of bottom end.[/quote]

+1 on the Mutron (mines fixed now!) and the Maxon (great pedal)

I'm also using an EMMA Discumbobulator at the moment which is fairly good.

Also... this looks like it will be good to get the meatball sound:

[url="http://www.bargeconcepts.com/mb.html"]http://www.bargeconcepts.com/mb.html[/url]

They claim its even better (s'pose they would though?!)

Is there a major difference between the original Mutron and the Haz re-issue apart from the price tag?!!!

There are no sound sample for the Grinder on their site which is a shame - looks like it could cost a lot too.

Have heard good things about the Maxon AF-9.

If it is squelchy and keeps the bottom end I may just try one out!

Thanks for your feedback

[quote name='NoirBass' post='199784' date='May 15 2008, 05:48 PM']+1 on the Mutron (mines fixed now!) and the Maxon (great pedal)

I'm also using an EMMA Discumbobulator at the moment which is fairly good.

Also... this looks like it will be good to get the meatball sound:

[url="http://www.bargeconcepts.com/mb.html"]http://www.bargeconcepts.com/mb.html[/url]

They claim its even better (s'pose they would though?!)[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='200195' date='May 16 2008, 09:57 AM']Is there a major difference between the original Mutron and the Haz re-issue apart from the price tag?!!!

There are no sound sample for the Grinder on their site which is a shame - looks like it could cost a lot too.

Thanks for your feedback[/quote]

While the Haz is an OK filter in itself - It really doesn't do the original Mutron justice. Completely different beasts, and the original comes out on top every time.

The Grinder has a list price of $400/£200, but that isn't street price, so it will hopefully come down a bit.

The AF-9 loses no low end at all in my experience. It's my 2nd favourite filter ever, after the Mutron (that I currently own 2 of). If I didn't have a spare, it would be the AF-9 as my back up filter for sure.

Edited by Higgie

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='200195' date='May 16 2008, 09:57 AM']Is there a major difference between the original Mutron and the Haz re-issue apart from the price tag?!!!

Thanks for your feedback[/quote]

For me the squelch is the key to the Mutrons sound. Although the AF-9 is great I don't find it all that squelchy.

Higgie correct me if I'm wrong but the Mutron III has an optical element that is now illegal to manufacture, this contributes heavily to that squelch. The HAZ does not have this and therefore does not sound the same.

[quote name='NoirBass' post='200283' date='May 16 2008, 11:17 AM']For me the squelch is the key to the Mutrons sound. Although the AF-9 is great I don't find it all that squelchy.

Higgie correct me if I'm wrong but the Mutron III has an optical element that is now illegal to manufacture, this contributes heavily to that squelch. The HAZ does not have this and therefore does not sound the same.[/quote]

If it's what I think it is then it's only illegal in Europe, many current pedals have similar componants like the Subdecay Quasar (Phaser) though it is being updated to not include them. They are illegal due to their use of cadmium in them but everyone knows the best pedals are radioactive.

The Grinder could be worth looking at at that price for sure.

I am going to try and track down an AF9 then if you really rate it for that sound.

I'd love a Mu-Tron but cannot justify £300 + on one effect pedal right now - I know that one day I will probably have to get one as it seems that they are the holy grail in envelope filters.

Do you have any audio/video clips of you using yours? Would love to hear the sounds that you can get.

BTW I read somewhere once that Flea used the DOD FX25 on Sir Psycho Sexy - bollocks or true?

[quote name='Higgie' post='200252' date='May 16 2008, 10:48 AM']While the Haz is an OK filter in itself - It really doesn't do the original Mutron justice. Completely different beasts, and the original comes out on top every time.

The Grinder has a list price of $400/£200, but that isn't street price, so it will hopefully come down a bit.

The AF-9 loses no low end at all in my experience. It's my 2nd favourite filter ever, after the Mutron (that I currently own 2 of). If I didn't have a spare, it would be the AF-9 as my back up filter for sure.[/quote]

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='200287' date='May 16 2008, 11:21 AM']If it's what I think it is then it's only illegal in Europe, many current pedals have similar componants like the Subdecay Quasar (Phaser) though it is being updated to not include them. They are illegal due to their use of cadmium in them but everyone knows the best pedals are radioactive.[/quote]
worked with cadmium for years, never did me any harm :huh: :)

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='200329' date='May 16 2008, 12:06 PM']The Grinder could be worth looking at at that price for sure.

I am going to try and track down an AF9 then if you really rate it for that sound.

I'd love a Mu-Tron but cannot justify £300 + on one effect pedal right now - I know that one day I will probably have to get one as it seems that they are the holy grail in envelope filters.

Do you have any audio/video clips of you using yours? Would love to hear the sounds that you can get.

BTW I read somewhere once that Flea used the DOD FX25 on Sir Psycho Sexy - bollocks or true?[/quote]

I don't have any clips at present, but I have got a recording interface on the way, so I shall try and sort something out soon.

And yes complete bollocks I'm afraid lol, the FX25 gets nowhere NEAR that sound. That is once again (suprise suprise).... a Mutron III, only this time, with dying batteries in it.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='200565' date='May 16 2008, 04:56 PM']Have you simulated that using the burkey yet?[/quote]

I've tried it, but it's hard, as I'm powering it from only 9 V, so I can't change the voltages for the sepetate batteries. I will definitely look into it some more though.