Why become a member? ×

Short scale for less than £200! Perfect for little hands!

MiltyG565

So i have been looking at short scale basses, Mostly because i like the idea of a bass that isn't much bigger than a guitar. But as we know, something that costs less than £200 isn't likely to be a great, but i came across the Ibanez GSRM20 which is a mahogany (yeah, that's right, mahogany) bodied bass, with a 22 fret neck, and a scale length of 28.6". Standard maple neck as ever. So it's shorter than quite most short scale basses, mahogany body, and for less than £200. So, any thoughts? Here's a link to the page on the Thomann website. [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_gsrm20ca.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_gsrm20ca.htm[/url]

I favour short scale and have owned a few (all cheap because I am not good enough to need or justify an expensive one!)
- Cort Action Junior
- Fleabass Junior
- Epiphone EB0

All of those basses have had good build quality and all played very well. Sometime the fit and finish of a £130 bass is surprisingly good anmd couldn't really choose between them on quality. The Cort and Fleabass sounded similar while the EB0 was always going to be different due that pickup position and a bit neck divy.

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1354302131' post='1884690']
I favour short scale and have owned a few (all cheap because I am not good enough to need or justify an expensive one!)
- Cort Action Junior
- Fleabass Junior
- Epiphone EB0

All of those basses have had good build quality and all played very well. Sometime the fit and finish of a £130 bass is surprisingly good anmd couldn't really choose between them on quality. The Cort and Fleabass sounded similar while the EB0 was always going to be different due that pickup position and a bit neck divy.
[/quote]

Yeah, a fleabass is something i would like to try, but not buy. Not really my thing. What is interesting is that flea stopped producing them about a year ago, but they appear to still be churning them out. He must just have sold the rights to another company. But nonetheless, he tried his best to make a good cheap instrument, although i have heard quality on them can be a bit hit and miss.

I picked up a secondhand Tokai EB3 copy a couple of years ago for under £100-That's a nice little
instrument. I also got hold of a really nice short scale '82 Fender Bullet for a couple of hundred
pounds-that's a great bass.
As much as I like Ibanez instruments,I think you can pick up better instruments than the GSR if
you go secondhand.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1354318382' post='1884902']
I picked up a secondhand Tokai EB3 copy a couple of years ago for under £100-That's a nice little
instrument. I also got hold of a really nice short scale '82 Fender Bullet for a couple of hundred
pounds-that's a great bass.
As much as I like Ibanez instruments,I think you can pick up better instruments than the GSR if
you go secondhand.
[/quote]

Without a doubt you are right. But think of how many parents are getting their young kid a bass this year. Are they going to buy it second hand? I wouldn't think so... especially if they know frig all about guitars.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1354317705' post='1884896']
Yeah, a fleabass is something i would like to try, but not buy. Not really my thing. What is interesting is that flea stopped producing them about a year ago, but they appear to still be churning them out. He must just have sold the rights to another company. But nonetheless, he tried his best to make a good cheap instrument, although i have heard quality on them can be a bit hit and miss.
[/quote]

I would guess all the ones for sale are the remaining stock as many are reduced and at the reduced price mine was very nice and good value (under £200) so must have been one of the hits rather than misses.

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1354319889' post='1884917']
I would guess all the ones for sale are the remaining stock as many are reduced and at the reduced price mine was very nice and good value (under £200) so must have been one of the hits rather than misses.
[/quote]

Haha, that could be it :) Some people are just very picky about quality (including me... I have an eye for detail). Might just be all the overstock. If so... he made a fair f***ing amount of them, didn't he?

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1354319680' post='1884915']
Without a doubt you are right. But think of how many parents are getting their young kid a bass this year. Are they going to buy it second hand? I wouldn't think so... especially if they know frig all about guitars.
[/quote]
You didn't say that that was happening. I assumed you were looking for yourself.

In that case,I'd have a look at the Squier Mustang -either the Vintage Modified or the Mikey Way signature.

well, i would like one myself, but it isn't necessary for me, because my hands are quite large anyway. i was thinking more for men or women with small hands, or kids starting out. Obviously, it would most advantage kids, because they haven't as far to reach. The Ibanez seemed perfect in that respect, because it was the shortest i found in the search on Thomann, and also with a mahogany body, which as we know gives a real sweet bassy tone. At that price, i think it is a great thing to give a kid for christmas. It won't break the bank, and it won't be too much for the cubs to bear :)

I don't think short scales should just be labelled for use by children or adults with small hands. The scale length is after all only a few inches shorter and it is still quite a way from a guitar size, which men with hands of all sizes play :-)
I don't have small hands or short arms but have always preferred short scale and not such a stretch for arms or fingers and they just feel more comfortable to me.

I think they are something people shoudl always give a try and might be surprised...

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1354301171' post='1884681']
Got a link to it?
[/quote]

Sorry, I typed jazz instead of jag. [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_sq_jaguar_special_ss_car.htm?gclid=CJfrnqK--bMCFaTMtAodejYATw"]Here's one at thomann[/url]

I was told when I bought my first EB3 back in '79 that the EB3 and EB0 were medium scale, & that they're short[u][i]-er[/i][/u] scale rather than short scale. Though there was a one-off short-scale EB3 in the early 70's - but only according to a guy I knew who said he'd got one.
IIRC 28.6" in the OP, is significantly shorter than any EB3 - and the "short" Fenders?

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1354347387' post='1885006']
I don't think short scales should just be labelled for use by children or adults with small hands. The scale length is after all only a few inches shorter and it is still quite a way from a guitar size, which men with hands of all sizes play :-)
I don't have small hands or short arms but have always preferred short scale and not such a stretch for arms or fingers and they just feel more comfortable to me.

I think they are something people shoudl always give a try and might be surprised...
[/quote]

Of course i wouldn't label them for kids, small people or people with small hands. I am far from any of those things, being the tallest person in my entire family (talking aunts, uncles cousin- everyone) and also having what i would consider bigger than normal hands. But i still would like one. just seems handy to me.

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1354355164' post='1885053']
I can't comment on the short scale Ibanez, but I own a GSR190 and I can tell you the quality is better than the Squier Jaguars and Mustangs I tried last year. Not much in it really, the fretting on the Squiers just seemed a bit rough and the pickups seemed a bit lifeless.
[/quote]

Never gotten a good play on a GSR, but i hear good things about them from literally everyone that knows anything about bass.

[quote name='Ultima2876' timestamp='1354369357' post='1885268']
Shame Yamaha doesn't do a short scale bass. That I'd buy.
[/quote]

I find yamaha's a bit hit and miss. I have a yamaha guitar, and the neck angle is not even close to right. Bit the action at the nut end is lovely. I have the truss rod set so the fretboard is flat, but the string height at 12 fret is near unplayable.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1354380567' post='1885407']
I was told when I bought my first EB3 back in '79 that the EB3 and EB0 were medium scale, & that they're short[u][i]-er[/i][/u] scale rather than short scale. Though there was a one-off short-scale EB3 in the early 70's - but only according to a guy I knew who said he'd got one.
IIRC 28.6" in the OP, is significantly shorter than any EB3 - and the "short" Fenders?
[/quote]

Yup, i don't really buy 30" as short scale. 33-32" is long scale, but 30" is short? no way, 28" is short, 30" is medium to me. But even at that, i wouldn't mind a fender bass IV... who's with me!? (have i just committed treason? )

I've got a black GSRM-20, bought a couple of years ago. I've never got round to replacing the stock strings, so I may not be the best reviewer in the world :)
That said, it seems well enough made. With the stock strings, the E string is rather soggy.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1354402234' post='1885691']...the neck angle is not even close to right. Bit the action at the nut end is lovely. I have the truss rod set so the fretboard is flat, but the string height at 12 fret is near unplayable....[/quote]

Good evening, Milty...

I suppose you've considered taking off a bit of height from the bridge..? It's often easy enough to pop it out and reduce the underside (I nearly wrote 'bottom'..! :o ) by a 1/8" or so. Just a thought...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1354414941' post='1885784']
Good evening, Milty...

I suppose you've considered taking off a bit of height from the bridge..? It's often easy enough to pop it out and reduce the underside (I nearly wrote 'bottom'..! :o ) by a 1/8" or so. Just a thought...
[/quote]

Not good enough. That would create some problem somewhere along the fretboard. It is perfectly flat, but the action goes from super sweet to unplayable in just 12 frets. and it isn't because the fretboard is flat, because any relief would just make the problem worse going from the nut to the bridge. Good suggestion though :) It's probably better and easier to place a little shim in the back on the neck, at the very bottom of the pocket, which would tilt it back a little. Although i have heard this can cause problems with setting intonation. But something i was always told when i was training as a joiner was "A small problem here will multiply and become a big problem over there". The tiniest of corrections could fix it :)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1354414941' post='1885784']
Good evening, Milty...

[/quote]

Oh yeah... the paint on this thing is THIN! I have chipped it many times with the common bumps that everyone has. Probably because it is non-laquered, just gloss coated.

[i]Received one of those 45squid Thomann bass on Friday (10yo daughters Christmas pressie).[/i]
[i]Well for 45 quid you really cant go wrong! [/i]

[i]OK, a couple of "finish" niggles here and there and the back of the neck is bare wood, which I dont like. The nut looks a bit of a mess and is the worst bit, but still the action is very good, and it was in tune out of the box. [/i]
[i]Only played for a minute or so, quickly before hiding it (in a old flight case of mine), so n[/i][i]ot plugged it in. I thought I heard that the intonation might be a bit out, so will try and sort that out before Santa delivers it. But it is definately well playable, and I thought that the dimentions of the neck and body suited the size very well and it is nice and light. At 45 quid an absolute bargin as far as I am concerned (fits a guitar gig bag nicely - £7 from Thomann) and there was a lead in the bass box as well.[/i]

[i]I wouldnt want it to be my only bass, but for a child it is perfect and more than adequate for the situation.[/i]