Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Short scale for less than £200! Perfect for little hands!

MiltyG565

I don't know if anyone mentioned it already but the Dean Evo XM is an awesome short scale bass - I'd be well happy o gig one, and will do when I eventually get one ;-)

[url="http://www.djmmusic.com/ItemMatrix.asp?ic=DGB-EVOXM-BASS&MatrixType=2"]http://www.djmmusic....SS&MatrixType=2[/url]

I'm guessing someone [u]must [/u]already have mentioned the SX stuff.....

http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

Edited by All thumbs

I forgot about this thread :(

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1354806076' post='1890643']
Just so it's mentioned: the GSRM from Thomann is just £152.72.
Still less than 200, I admit. :)

best,
bert
[/quote]

I knew it was that price Bert...

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1354794127' post='1890394']
The Ashbory at 18" is pretty short scale. Doesn't float everybody's boat though.
[/quote]

I think that would be a bit too short scale for my personal liking.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1354921333' post='1892148']
I forgot about this thread :(
[/quote]

"[b][i]Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.[/i][/b]"
Milton Corleone

I knew it was that price Bert...
[/quote]

Ah! Wondered about that, but decided it was better to mention it for those who hadn't followed the link.

I think that would be a bit too short scale for my personal liking.
[/quote]

Yeah, it's very hard to play on. But I guess it's a nice challenge.
I'm certainly buying one. Fascinating little thing. Just always to remember: no sliding note is ever false! ;)

I'm always wondering whether it would be possible to get the same sound from a stiffer material that would allow for somewhat longer strings. I'd love to have a 30" or 32" one like that in addition to a regular EUB.

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1354981127' post='1892599']
"[b][i]Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.[/i][/b]"
Milton Corleone

Ah! Wondered about that, but decided it was better to mention it for those who hadn't followed the link.

Yeah, it's very hard to play on. But I guess it's a nice challenge.
I'm certainly buying one. Fascinating little thing. Just always to remember: no sliding note is ever false! ;)

I'm always wondering whether it would be possible to get the same sound from a stiffer material that would allow for somewhat longer strings. I'd love to have a 30" or 32" one like that in addition to a regular EUB.

best,
bert
[/quote]

The Godfather?

On the point of stiffer materials- They will change the sound. I think the sound has to do with how well the material reflects sound, absorbs sound, and ultimately responds to sound.

Maybe slightly OT but Danelectro make great short scale basses - both the Longhorn and the 63 sound and play
well IMO, although they always seem to be a bit of a 'Marmite' thing especially on here for some reason.
GAK are currently doing the Longhorn for a very reasonable £229 - slightly over your budget but well worth it!
[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/danelectro-58-longhorn-dl58cb-copperburst/52429"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/danelectro-58-longhorn-dl58cb-copperburst/52429[/url]
They are light, play great and sound ace despite the rather err..'quirky' construction and design - I love mine and use it every
week for a local pub gig in a country/rock band. It will never replace my Stingray or Precision, but for what it does at the price it's superb.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='grossey' timestamp='1354530612' post='1886935']
[i]Received one of those 45squid Thomann bass on Friday (10yo daughters Christmas pressie).[/i]
[i]Well for 45 quid you really cant go wrong! [/i]

[i]OK, a couple of "finish" niggles here and there and the back of the neck is bare wood, which I dont like. The nut looks a bit of a mess and is the worst bit, but still the action is very good, and it was in tune out of the box. [/i]
[i]Only played for a minute or so, quickly before hiding it (in a old flight case of mine), so n[/i][i]ot plugged it in. I thought I heard that the intonation might be a bit out, so will try and sort that out before Santa delivers it. But it is definately well playable, and I thought that the dimentions of the neck and body suited the size very well and it is nice and light. At 45 quid an absolute bargin as far as I am concerned (fits a guitar gig bag nicely - £7 from Thomann) and there was a lead in the bass box as well.[/i]

[i]I wouldnt want it to be my only bass, but for a child it is perfect and more than adequate for the situation.[/i]
[/quote]
I was slightly hesitant but took the plunge and bought a Harley Benton Electric Mandolin from Thomann. For £77 it's well made, the finish is good and it does the job and having compared it to other chinese Mandocasters that cost between £125 - £180 reckon it was an absolute bargain.