Why become a member? ×

The Robots are taking over - Hysteria played by a machine !!

far0n

Interesting stuff indeed, but how did that machine get to the point that it could play that line? If indeed it did play that line. People had to design that machine. People had to build it. People had to program it. I don't think we are in a lot of danger.

Once upon a time someone said we would be a cashless society. Someone said we would not need paper. Someone said CB radio was the future.

Maybe I'm just one of these real idiots though. :lol:

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1353873866' post='1879260']
That's the b*gger of keeping up with technology.........

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/192638-were-all-out-of-a-job/

it'll never catch on .................. which I believe is what was said about Les Paul's first efforts, the precision bass - and erm The Beatles.
[/quote]
The Beatles? Who?

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1353875964' post='1879309']
Interesting stuff indeed, but how did that machine get to the point that it could play that line? If indeed it did play that line. People had to design that machine. People had to build it. People had to program it. I don't think we are in a lot of danger.

Once upon a time someone said we would be a cashless society. Someone said we would not need paper. Someone said CB radio was the future.

Maybe I'm just one of these real idiots though. :lol:
[/quote]

It plays MIDI files.

You can easily turn audio into MIDI these days.

In other words, find your favourite bass lines, convert to MIDI, let robot play them. Easy. That is the point of programming and robots, you design and build them so that they then just need different data to do different things.

Scary piece of kit, fortunately it cant play fingerstyle yet :D

That is some serious engineering absolutely A+
But it is a very modern version of one of those pianos where you put a roll of music in and it uses the mechanical apparatus to turn the input into music.
Really scary will be a robot hand plucking a bass guitar, it will use audio sensors to analyse the music for frequency and timing to pick out the bass using an algorithm devised from a library of players from different genres, it would then attempt to work out the baseline by a system of plucking and fretting and comparing the results to the original.I think manipulating the robotic hands will be the hardest part I think the analasyis of the track would be quite feasible given a powerful modern computer.

Scariest thing I've heard of though is a bit of software that can extract MIDI from audio so well that it can be used in combination with a grand piano capable of being played by MIDI to recreate and re-record a performance of a long dead artist, to the point where a new duet can be created with a living artist. Which was done recently at Manifold Studios (IIRC). Bonkers!

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1354026226' post='1881001']
Scariest thing I've heard of though is a bit of software that can extract MIDI from audio so well that it can be used in combination with a grand piano capable of being played by MIDI to recreate and re-record a performance of a long dead artist, to the point where a new duet can be created with a living artist. Which was done recently at Manifold Studios (IIRC). Bonkers!
[/quote]

I've been using Melodyne Editor to generate MIDI files from my audio - makes creating actual songs rather than loads of bass parts possible:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ojHdfhl_iw[/media]

It's usually used as an advanced auto-tune VST but it's got polyphonic capabilities too - so you can get into some complicated chords as well...

The guy on this clip is extremely annoying but gives you an idea of how it can work for bass too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCtB9qWTIO8

Edited by urb

[quote name='hollywoodrox' timestamp='1354022618' post='1880902']
That is some serious engineering absolutely A+
But it is a very modern version of one of those pianos where you put a roll of music in and it uses the mechanical apparatus to turn the input into music.
Really scary will be a robot hand plucking a bass guitar, it will use audio sensors to analyse the music for frequency and timing to pick out the bass using an algorithm devised from a library of players from different genres, it would then attempt to work out the baseline by a system of plucking and fretting and comparing the results to the original.I think manipulating the robotic hands will be the hardest part I think the analasyis of the track would be quite feasible given a powerful modern computer.
[/quote]

Love to see it play some Wooten stuff though....

[quote name='hollywoodrox' timestamp='1354022618' post='1880902']
Really scary will be a robot hand plucking a bass guitar, it will use audio sensors to analyse the music for frequency and timing to pick out the bass using an algorithm devised from a library of players from different genres, it would then attempt to work out the baseline by a system of plucking and fretting and comparing the results to the original.
[/quote]

And then travel back in time to kill their Fathers, there by preventing the invention of slap bass and jazz.

Edited by Bikenbass