Why become a member? ×

A warning and an insight into the domestic mindset

thunderbird13

I bought a DB from Ebay for a few hundred quid a few months ago and have left it in the back office which doubles as a storage room. It came with a hard case but it’s far too big for the room so I just left it propped up against the shelf and it seems perfectly happy there

Last night AFTER dinner my wife said that she wanted a word with me , I knew by her voice that something was wrong so I instinctively rushed to the back room and sure enough with there was my bass with a small hole, about 3 mms, just on the left shoulder. I’m not sure if the hole goes all the way through to the other side but since its quite small it’s more cosmetic than anything else so I’ll just put a sticker over it

Now my wife is very apologetic BUT she claims that since I out the stuff on the shelf in the first place its more my fault than hers and yes she did knock the box which hit my DB but that’s only because it was so badly stacked in the first place that it was bound to happen ! Can’t really argue with that – its been perfectly safe for 2 months where it was, she starts moving things around ,a box falls from the top shelf onto my bass when I’m not there and its my fault !! :rolleyes:

Looks like I'll have to apologise to myself :lol:

Why not just ban her from the back room?

Mrs Rev has a dressing room where all her shoes and most of the handbags live. It's also where I throw the stacks of scrap paper, old reciepts and junk mail that she likes to collect. I. in turn have a room where my basses, Hi Fi and Cds live. If she wants to go in there she has to make a formal application two weeks in advance, fully stating her requirements and intentions for going into my room.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1353670232' post='1877149']
Mrs Rev has a dressing room where all her shoes and most of the handbags live. It's also where I throw the stacks of scrap paper, old reciepts and junk mail that she likes to collect. I. in turn have a room where my basses, Hi Fi and Cds live. If she wants to go in there she has to make a formal application two weeks in advance, fully stating her requirements and intentions for going into my room.
[/quote]

How very sensible.

Remember that it can be the other way round, bumbling husbands/boyfriends managing to f**k up your stuff whist repositioning it or demanding to be allowed to "fix" it.
Having said that, I believe that the "it's your fault" argument is pointless - the damage is done, all you can do is fix it, if possible, and make sure that both the musician and non-musician members of the couple/family learn from their mistakes.

Edited by bluejay

Ooh I was thinking this was going to be a 'I hid a DB (which would be no mean feat) and the Mrs has found it' type thread, especially after the 'wanting a word' lead in. Here at Ez Towers it is generally accepted that it is always each others fault (but in a playful way). I know it's annoying but ultimately it's just stuff and no one was hurt, which of course could've been the case with falling stuff.

Gutted mate, like Blue jay says the damage is done & unforunately accidents happen.

I would hold true though with the blame game (Play it with no seriousness to it) & win some man points for making her feel guilty about it. You could get at least a nice cooked meal out of it.....or even some special attention.