Why become a member? ×

Pedal boards

Rayman

I've never been much of an effects kind of player, but I find myself using them more and more.

Couple of questions....

What's the definitive order to put them in generally? I always understood drive first, others next, then tuner last? My current effects list are:

Ibanez PD7
Hartke bass attack
EBS Octabass
TC Vortex
Korg DT10 tuner

I'm after a decent delay to put in the chain too, maybe a Headrush.

So how would you link them up?

Also, can anyone recommend a good pedal board? Any advantage to having built in power? I just use a daisy chain on the end of a power supply. No idea what difference a power brick makes....duh.....

Probably not the done thing but I always put my tuner in first in the chain so I can use it to mute everything when I'm not playing. Not using effects at present so it's Behringer tuner -> Hartke Bass attack -> amp. The only time I don't have tuner first is if I'm going wireless then obviously the receiver goes in front of the tuner. If I really need an effect, eg if I'm in a band doing Lizzy's 'Moonlight' and I want to shove a flanger in I'd put that in after the Harke. Got a power brick type thing from Maplins so all pedals have their own power lead. Wish Hartke had put the power socket on the other side of the bass attack pedal, it always seems to be on the wrong side for my chain!

Edited by KevB

Sub Octave - Compressor - Big Muff - Bass Attack : In that order.

Never really seen any point in putting one before the other - I just go for which ever I use the most, where I can easily reach it! I also just use a daisy chain to power them, because it was cheap, but I have a feeling it won't last forever! I have used one of the power bricks and it was sturdy and looked like it wasn't prone to setting me on fire at any point!

Russ, I didn't know you were a Bass Attack user. I thought you were a dyed in the wool SansAmp man? How you getting on with the Hartke? I haven't gigged without mine for 5 years at least. Think they make pretty much any rig sound better 'defined' somehow.

Yeah I'm new to it Kev, only gigged it once, so I'm still trying to suss it out, and I can't decide how to set it yet!! The only criticism I have of the Markbass rig is that it's super clean, so the bass attack is there to kind of dirty it up a bit I guess. With the bass attack I've ended up (as I look at it from the last gig) with everything set at 10 past 12 except shape which is up full, and harmonics which is off ?!?

Yep, deffo tuner first. A tuner will have problems having to deal with octavers, delays, choruses etc.
There is a kind of rule of thumb when it comes to order of pedals, but as with most rules, they are there to be broken..Whatever order you choose though, I would probably stick with having any delay or reverb placed last.

EDIT: Just noticed that you asked for recommendations.
I use a Boss GT 10B unit, which allows for total editing of effects, even their order :). I can thoroughly recommend it.

Edited by SteveK

I always run my tuner out of the tuner output on my volume pedal,so it's not running in the effects
chain. I tend to run my octave pedal first so that it gets the strongest signal,then envelope filters,
distortion,modulation, and compressor at the end. With your set up (assuming you're using the
Hartke for gain) I'd go- EBS>Hartke>Ibanez>TC. Maybe put the tuner in front if you want,but I've always
taken it out of the chain.

Edit....Try moving them around too,pedals react differently depending on what's in front or
behind them.

Edited by Doddy

There is no right or wrong order. It's what You like the sound of that counts.
Most people tend to stick the tuner & then the octave 1st as you may want a clean sound going into them, just like Doddy says. :)

The best thing to do is play about & get the sound you like, this could take years but is 1/2 the fun of having effects.

My board goes loop on > octave > Bass Murf, which then has left channel clean 110 hz low shelf & the right channel goes to dirt > filter > chorus (turn off the Murf & it's just clean with or without octave)
Loop off > filter > chorus.