Why become a member? ×

Remembrance

tubbybloke68

When you stop and think about things, it brings it home doesn't it? We have the luxury of pondering what strings to use? What amp should I get? Will this cab suit my style or not?this and that. We have that LUXURY, others did not. Their Only goal was to stay alive and survive in conditions that we can't even begin to imagine. They where victims of their time , unlucky to have been born when they were, forced into a situation they had no choice in, forced to fight and die.this may seem 'heavy stuff' to post on here, but it was a lot lot heavier for them endure. So next time we pick up our basses and play,or fart about with our amps and effects, let's remember WHY we can, hey?

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1352636832' post='1865361']
.... and are still doing.
[/quote]

Exactly. The death still goes on to this day in the name of freedom.

I like to go along to our village War Memorial for the short service each year. It always annoy's me that those in their cars do not give a little respect and stop for that five or ten minutes. No, they don't have time for that. They have to get to wherever they are going. To enjoy themselves, to do what they want to do. There are many hundreds and thousands who cannot do that.

Rant over.

yeh you all right we should never forget,
we enjoy the freedoms that other gave their lives for,
for me it was brought home today,my brother he posted a film of my father with a brown bear that
he looked after in the second world war,called woytek,the bear carried ammo alongside my father
who was one of the polish soldiers at monte cassino,although he survived,I have a charcoal drawing of my father
done by his best friend in the days before the battle,he sadly was killed,as the poles were used as cannon fodder
and this drawing was one of the only things to survive,
sorry to go on,
its just the post made me think again as it would have been dads birthday a couple of days ago,

cheers
stef

The only family member I've lost to war was my Great Grandfather, so obviously I never met him, though I have been to Belgium many times & done a lot of research. The repercussions of his enlisted plagued the family for another two generations. He fell on the first day of Passchendaele, along with tens of thousands of others. Always irks me when they talk about "trenches" .......... this ...............

........... was an Ypres trench of the time, July 1917.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1352649111' post='1865554']

Exactly. The death still goes on to this day in the name of freedom.

I like to go along to our village War Memorial for the short service each year. It always annoy's me that those in their cars do not give a little respect and stop for that five or ten minutes. No, they don't have time for that. They have to get to wherever they are going. To enjoy themselves, to do what they want to do. There are many hundreds and thousands who cannot do that.

Rant over.
[/quote]

I was out running today a 11:00. I ran past our memorial at 11:10 as people were dispersing. Just because I was running doesn't mean I'm not thinking. In fact it gave me more freedom to think than listening to someone's speech.

Driving past a memorial is, however, a bit crass, but hopefully those passing did do some thinking at some point. I don't know anyone who thinks badly of Remembrance Sunday.