Why become a member? ×

I LOVE this clip! Milt Hinton, he's the man

Clarky

I like the way his hand is still counting 2 and 4 when he's playing 1 and 3, he's feeling it even when he's just playing on his own.

I'd never heard of him until I bought my first DB but he has influenced my playing. I don't think I understood economy until I went back to square one with DB, but since I started appreciating that approach I think my musicality has improved a ton. I don't play a lot of notes any more and it gives me more time to think about which ones I am playing and where and how. Guys like him are a gold mine.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1365200027' post='2036801']
Never heard of him before but that was really good! How can he chat and play at the same time!?

Gonna have to get me one! :D
[/quote]
I cannot underemphasise how much this clip fills me with enthusiasm when I am losing interest in playing bass. Such a lovely, infectiously charming and accomplished bass player :)

• 3 weeks later...

That was brilliant. One thing that stood out for me (and resonates with my bass playing) is how he kept it low, only rarely did he go up the neck and into thumb position, for me keeping it low means I have my own space to use and to be creative. I just wish I could be a fraction as creative as him.

Steve

That's what they did back then; he'd probably never heard of thumb. And note how his left hand technique is far from 'classical'. There's a bit of a debate about when jazz players started to go 'legit' but LaFaro and his generation got a lot of the credit. If I may modestly mention, my technique is very much old school, looks like a train wreck today but is strangely effective.