Why become a member? ×

5 string gas,is there any going back?

clashcityrocker

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1352727354' post='1866552']
Don't blame 5 string basses for the technical shortcomings of the player.
[/quote]

True, but there are many members on here who are far from technically adept, but still enjoy themselves playing bass live and in studios. If they sound less good on a fiver then that is a good reason for them/us to avoid them. Not all of us have the time, ability or even desire to become as technically skilled as we would like to be...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1352727354' post='1866552']
Don't blame 5 string basses for the technical shortcomings of the player.
[/quote]

Why bother wasting time learning to mute a 5 string bass properly (and taking the risk of said technique going wrong at an inopportune moment) if you're never going to use the fifth string?

I play a five string bass. I like it. But the idea that you "might as well" have a five string, regardless of what it is that you're actually going to play, is clearly nonsense.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1352711121' post='1866286']
Well, apart from a bass that weighs more than it needs to....[/quote]
My 5-er is very light weight, almost to the point of having neck dive with mini Gotoh bass tuners. I've also seen Fender Precision Basses made out of USA Northern Ash (the stuff we make baseball bats out of) that weigh, proverbally, a ton.

A well designed 5-er need not weigh any more than a 4-string.

The stuff about technique and string bleed-over is simply a matter of insufficient technique, whether 4- 5- 6- or more string bass instrument.

Edited by iiipopes

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1352730674' post='1866615']
My 5-er is very light weight, almost to the point of having neck dive with mini Gotoh bass tuners. I've also seen Fender Precision Basses made out of USA Northern Ash (the stuff we make baseball bats out of) that weigh, proverbally, a ton.

A well designed 5-er need not weigh any more than a 4-string.
[/quote]

Yes, but the four string version of your bass would weigh even less. And a 5 string Fender P made out of Northern Ash would weigh even more.

Since I own both 4- and 5-string Gus basses I've just weighed both. The 5-string weighs 4.3kg and the 4-string fretless weighs 4.0kg.

So that extra 300g is taken up by the slightly wider neck, the slightly larger headstock the extra machine head and string and the fact that the 5-string has 24 frets and the 4-string is fretless. On the strap I don't notice any difference.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1352562070' post='1864659']
That's not really surprising. A cheap bass won't be nice to play no matter how many strings it's got.

In the summer I had a "[i]5 strings are not my thing[/i]" player try out my Lull PJ5.

His comment was, "Maybe I've been playing the wrong 5 string basses".
[/quote]

Spot on. I have had loads of 5 string basses and I can only recall three of them hitting the mark for both playability and tone balance...my old Warwick Dolphin Pro 1 Custom, MTD 535 and my Lakland 55-02. If I have to saturate my tone from the bass with a compressor before it gets to the amp, it is the ultimate wind up for me.

Adding another string (high or low pitch) adds another challenge for the manufacturer to ensure the instrument remains comfortable and easy to play and then to make sure that the tone balance remains well balanced across all strings. Not every company gets both right...both in the budget and high-end market. I can spend an entire year looking for a 5 string bass and end up with nothing. I haven't bought a new 5'er for years (with the the exception of my Shuker that is being currently being built).

Finding a decent five string has been a long term project for me , and it has turned out to be a much longer term project than I ever anticipated. To echo what Shuzznit posts , I have come across very few 5 strings that were any good , regardless of price . I cannot get on with 35 inch scale , so that cuts out about half the market before I start , and an incongruous low B is all too often the final outcome on 34 inch scale fivers , cutting out a whole host more. Music Man do a decent 34 inch scale low B , but the string spacing is too tight for me and , equally significantly , to even achieve that string spacing on a comfortably- dimensioned neck the have to place the top and bottom strings ( B and G) way too close to the edge of the fingerboard , rendering the whole thing useless in my book. Yes , I know you could get the nut recut , but then the already too-close spacing would be even more prohibitive. Fodera do a good 34 inch scale 5 , as do Ken Smith and Sadowsky , but I don't want to spend that much on a bass I probably won't use all the time. So I haven't got a five string.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1352738967' post='1866794']
Finding a decent five string has been a long term project for me , and it has turned out to be a much longer term project than I ever anticipated. To echo what Shuzznit posts , I have come across very few 5 strings that were any good , regardless of price . I cannot get on with 35 inch scale , so that cuts out about half the market before I start , and an incongruous low B is all too often the final outcome on 34 inch scale fivers , cutting out a whole host more. Music Man do a decent 34 inch scale low B , but the string spacing is too tight for me and , equally significantly , to even achieve that string spacing on a comfortably- dimensioned neck the have to place the top and bottom strings ( B and G) way too close to the edge of the fingerboard , rendering the whole thing useless in my book. Yes , I know you could get the nut recut , but then the already too-close spacing would be even more prohibitive. Fodera do a good 34 inch scale 5 , as do Ken Smith and Sadowsky , but I don't want to spend that much on a bass I probably won't use all the time. So I haven't got a five string.
[/quote]

I agree its a LONG journey to find the right 5 string. Luckily, my fingers seem to quite like the 17.5 mm spacing on a Musicman, and since then I've invested heavily in their 5 string basses, (Big Al SSS, Stingray 5 HS, Sterling 5 HS, and a Bongo 5 HH on order).

Once you find the right one, stick with it for a food while and get used to it. I'm becoming much better on 5 string basses now.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1352742166' post='1866874']
I agree its a LONG journey to find the right 5 string. Luckily, my fingers seem to quite like the 17.5 mm spacing on a Musicman, and since then I've invested heavily in their 5 string basses, (Big Al SSS, Stingray 5 HS, Sterling 5 HS, and a Bongo 5 HH on order).

Once you find the right one, stick with it for a food while and get used to it. I'm becoming much better on 5 string basses now.
[/quote]

Were it not for the aforementioned problems I have withh MM 5s , they would be a very reasonably priced pro quality 5 string with a decent low B and a great sound all round. If the things that bother me don't bother you then to me something like a Stingray 5 is a "why pay more ? " product . I've played much worse fives that cost lots more money .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1352738967' post='1866794']
[/quote]

Pretty much the same requirements for a 5er as me. You need to try my Sandberg!

Only 4-string I use is my P-bass I built and that's just because it's a P-bass decked out with DiMarzio Will Power set and everything else. It's a tribute to a few of my influences.
Beyond that I rarely touch beyond 5-string. I play 6-string as well, mostly for my main band because I feel they cater better for progressive styles...But I may bring the 5's back into it.
I like the spacing and the way they feel. The necks are wider which helps with my long fingers and large palms.

I like having the option of having that lower foundation, or higher if I tune it that way / play 6-string.
I don't "camp" on the low string, still root myself around the E and A but TBH you should play how you like, never mind what people think.
If you wanna camp on that low-B do so, like a baws! :-D

[quote name='clashcityrocker' timestamp='1352833360' post='1868136']
Going to pick up a 5 string tomorrow....I gave in! It's a squier vm in natural, a lot of bass for little money. Will see how I get on....
[/quote]
Hide all your 4 stringers for a couple of weeks and dive straight in with a gig on the 5, it soon focuses the mind trust me! I bought my first 5 on a saturday lunchtime and played a 2 hour set with it that night, there were a few [i]grace [/i]notes here and there but it was easier than taking both to a practice for weeks on end to try and swap onto it . Just stay away from the B at first then chuck in a few 5ths or octaves below on it once your happy where the E is, then start playing off the E on the B string and play a few scales etc, you will never go back :) (not fully back anyway, I still like my 4's too so it can be done to use both).

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1352838774' post='1868266']
I stayed on the 5 only for about a month then started to play the odd song on a 4, now I'm fairly competent (or equally as incompetent) on either. If I didn't love my '82 pre EB so much I might of ditched the 4's altogether though.
[/quote]
It's that (eb) mm magic,I havnt found a better bass so far

Edited by clashcityrocker

I don't have any problems switching between 4,5 and 6 strings-although I play 5 strings for the
vast majority of gigs.....Pretty obviously my Upright gigs are all on a 4 string,but all my electric
gigs lately have been on a 5 string,although I usually carry a 4 string too. I haven't taken either
of my 6 strings out for a while,but I like the upper range for gigs where I'll be soloing.