Why become a member? ×

Thunderfunk Amp

Ghost_Bass

Hi, i've set my mind in getting one of these, i've already started a topic on the wanted section and have my walkabout head for trade/sale on the sales forum but i would like to know where can i buy one (new or used) in a store in the european union (so i can avoid custom taxes) just in case one doesn't pop up on BC. My searches on this subject haven't had much luck.

I'm not looking for any model in particular but the TFB550-B looks like a good one to get. All the info you can give me about these amps will be very apreciated.

Thanks in advance
Marco

The TFB550-B is their mainstay..but not sure Dave F is making them anymore. You might want to e-mail him as he gets some come back to him from time to time
and he is very accomodating.. <_<
That would be my first source.

He makes 750-A's and has now put a 600w and 800w in his line-up.

The 550-B runs very hot as he doesn't use a heatsink on the 550-B...so NEEDS the fan on all the time when racked.
Great amp, great EQ stage for powerful shaping, but no one I know uses it as the sound out of the box is clear right through the power range.
Timbre and enhance is all you need if your basses sound good.
Tough to get a bad sound, I don't use the smartswitch ( valve type simulator ) which is very subtle, nor the limiter...just plug it is an play.

These amps stay focused when you use them...as I do.. on the dials at 2 o'clock and 2 o'clock, which I assume is pushing them as it gets hot.

Good quiet amps with post and pre DI,

Eallier versions are 550-A's and 440 somethings...which were Gibson chassis.

Amp tech looked it over and said they were made by Gibson...but I think that is just the chassis origin and part of its history.which is well documented

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1352116498' post='1858817']
The TFB550-B is their mainstay..but not sure Dave F is making them anymore. You might want to e-mail him as he gets some come back to him from time to time
and he is very accomodating.. <_<
That would be my first source.

He makes 750-A's and has now put a 600w and 800w in his line-up.

The 550-B runs very hot as he doesn't use a heatsink on the 550-B...so NEEDS the fan on all the time when racked.
Great amp, great EQ stage for powerful shaping, but no one I know uses it as the sound out of the box is clear right through the power range.
Timbre and enhance is all you need if your basses sound good.
Tough to get a bad sound, I don't use the smartswitch ( valve type simulator ) which is very subtle, nor the limiter...just plug it is an play.

These amps stay focused when you use them...as I do.. on the dials at 2 o'clock and 2 o'clock, which I assume is pushing them as it gets hot.

Good quiet amps with post and pre DI,

Eallier versions are 550-A's and 440 somethings...which were Gibson chassis.

Amp tech looked it over and said they were made by Gibson...but I think that is just the chassis origin and part of its history.which is well documented
[/quote]

Your description jus enhanced my GAS... that's exactly what i'm looking for, clean and transparent tone without messing around with EQ because i love the sound of my basses as it is. I've already sent an e-mail to David but buying new and paying for tax on customs will make it too expensive that's why i was looking for something on the second hand market over here in the EU.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1352116306' post='1858814']
Good decision.

I believe one of our BC'ers, Funky Dario, imports TF's into France.

I was looking for my TF750 for over a year.

It was well worth the wait. These amps are the best I've ever played through.
[/quote]

Thaks for the tip Chris, I'll drop a line to Funky Dario ;)

Cheers

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1352117228' post='1858832'] that's exactly what i'm looking for, clean and transparent tone without messing around with EQ[/quote]

You could try a Hartke LH500 in the meantime.... just while you wait for a TF to come up of course! :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1352134236' post='1859174']
You could try a Hartke LH500 in the meantime.... just while you wait for a TF to come up of course! :)
[/quote]

Thanks for the sugestion but i need to follow my GAS, the WA was bought while i already had TF GAS and this is the outcome. I'll wipe the dust of the old Shuttle and wait for my oportunity on the sales thread.

I've recieved an answer from Dave Funk, he's currently only offering the TFB800, he stopped building the 600 because there were not suficient demand. He also doesn't have any dealers, the only way to get it is to buy directly from him (or over here on the sales thread at a far better price and no customs tax, :D).

I'll wait patiently until someone decides to part with his amp.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1352136019' post='1859207']
I'll wait patiently until someone decides to part with his amp.
[/quote]

They'll be throwing snowballs at Satan before I part with mine! :lol:

I'll add my support (and increase your GAS) to those above; TF 550 is probably as much as anyone needs so don't worry if you can't find one of the big brothers. ;)

[quote name='Sandmann' timestamp='1352189958' post='1859744']
i really know what you are going through, i was also suffering from thunderfunk gas ... my advice:

wait patiently until one shows up and in the meantime try a glockenklang soul II or even better heart rock II. at least you thunderfunk gas will be cured immediatly...
[/quote]

I've tried a Glock rig belonging to a friend of mine, it's really good but it's not my cup of tea, too heavy and can get a bit boomy although i haven't fiddle with the EQ and have the notion that it probably was just the kind of sound he likes to use. I really like a clean and transparent sound without bass/high boosts or mid scoops, the Shuttle is exelent at this but it lacks the deep lows like any other class-D amp and sometimes they're necessary in some rooms.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1352141845' post='1859311']
They'll be throwing snowballs at Satan before I part with mine! :lol:
[/quote]

:lol: :D :P

Edited by Ghost_Bass

" I really like a clean and transparent sound without bass/high boosts or mid scoops, the Shuttle is exelent at this but it lacks the deep lows like any other class-D amp and sometimes they're necessary in some rooms"

I'm surprised, as I find my 9.0 real good with the B-string? it's the main reason I'm keeping it.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Tankdave' timestamp='1352225831' post='1860453']
" I really like a clean and transparent sound without bass/high boosts or mid scoops, the Shuttle is exelent at this but it lacks the deep lows like any other class-D amp and sometimes they're necessary in some rooms"

I'm surprised, as I find my 9.0 real good with the B-string? it's the main reason I'm keeping it.
[/quote]

The shuttle handles all the low you put in but it doesn't get it out as well as other non-digital amps. I'm still keeping it as a backup because i love it and am fully aware that that's a very good piece of kit, well put together with good components and wont be likely to fail or have any issues for a very long time.

As an update i can say that i've just sent payment to a felow BC'er for a TFB550-B, fortunetly the waiting was short :)

Not sure what is going on with the 4 band semi para settings. :lol:

It is said that the TF is hard to get a bad sound out of... and I agree. As much as the SWR SM series ( which shares the same EQ concept) was capable of very good tone shaping, it took a lot of time to get one, potentially, whereas the TF is plug in and play...
and if you want to alter something..you just find your way around the timbre and enhance and you are there.

Both my basses really suit this amp and it is a dream.

The only thing to beat it is the DB750 series, IME.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1354140766' post='1882757']
He paid £100 (GBP) and I'll buy yours as a back-up for the same price! ;) :D
[/quote]

So you're the one porking all the TF's... well you ain't gonna get this one any time soon :lol:
BTW, i'm now using the same setup as you, i'm only a DB short. I wonder if you're also collecting them in your loft... :P

[quote name='kuba.bartczak' timestamp='1354140575' post='1882752']
Could You send me PM - I want to now how much did you pay.
I'm wondering of selling TB 550b..
[/quote]

I got mine in a part-ex trade so you'll be better of searching the classified or for sale section and see for how much they are being sold. Also check Talkbass prices but keep in mind that everybody who has a TF in europe had to pay for shipping and taxes so prices will be higher even in the 2nd hand market.

Cheers