Why become a member? ×

Bloody left my band :(

Truckstop

I'm sure you've done the right thing, whilst also having given them a chance to do what they said they would.

For me this is another reminder of how carefully one should quiz new potential band members about exactly what they want out of a band. It's all just as important as musical ability.

Good luck with new ventures !

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1351979945' post='1857609']
You did the right thing by being loyal to your old band and trying to get it on the right lines.
Whatever you do now you can do with a clear conscience and your integrity intact.
Good luck.
[/quote]

Not so sure about this... It doesn't read to me as though this unit was ever going to shape up to the new world order
so I am surprised the OP gave them more 2nd, 3rd or whatever new chances.
We can all be wiser after the event but this misguided loyalty cost the OP.

To make the jump to pro function band standard...in terms of getting the money and gigs is NOT an overnight thing
and certainly not easy in today's climate. Most of the full-time ...as opposed to pro standard..and there is a big difference, IMO..
bands round here have suffered with their diary so to crash that market takes something else and certainly, time.

If that is where the OP wanted to go, he should have taken the job when on the table.
Of course, I don't know the bands but that sounds so much like chalk and cheese to me...

I'd call the band leader of the function band for a chat. No doubt the position has gone, but no harm in
networking and seeing if they found someone they are going to stick with.

I spoke to the MD this morning actually and although he's found someone for the job, he's given me the numbers of a few guys that may be interested in starting a new project.

I'm fully aware that breaking into the function/wedding market's tough, but I'm willing to have a crack at it and I'm also prepared to play the pubs in the meantime to keep things ticking over.

Should add that I'm after a vocalist and a guitarist. If anyone sees this and they're interested, chuck us a PM and we'll see what happens!

Alex

As an aside, and not knowing what you need to earn, but lets assume £500 a week.

That means a decent payer of £250 plus per head per week..and then a few other gigs, lessons etc to top it up
and you can see how hard it can look.

The best function bands round here are struggling with the £1500 plus wedding dates..as these are the ones that have been more scarce.
And these are the same bands that do 'celeb' type functions so that is their type of of market.

Even pub work here for £300 is getting harder..and bands are talking about putting their money down.....!!!!!

Well luckily I have a full time job too (and it's ultra flexible to boot) so I don't really need to worry about making a massive amount of money out of it. I'm happy if I take home £150+ from a gig!

I just need an extra income source these days. My wage from work is good, but I have a wedding coming up and I need to start thinking about putting money away for the future (house deposit, saving for kids, cars etc); something I can't do on my current wage.

I'm confident that as long as I have the right people in my band, I can build up a decent size business. Don't forget also, that I live in St. Albans. Pub bands around here get £350+ a night! Good ones get even more. I also have a free rehearsal space so no costs there and already have a good PA and lighting rig so no start up costs apart from sortin out a few photo shoots and making some flyers and posters.

I reckon it can be done and I reckon I can turn it into a nice little earner. But I can only do it with the right people behind me!

Alex

Hey Alex

Congrats on leaving your band, I was in a similar situation and had exactly the same discussion but managed to keep my band going (they all pulled they're fingers out). It's hard work but an be very rewarding, As JTUK says it's not an easy market to break into we're in our second year and averaging 2 - 3 gigs a month.

You'll probably have to do something to supplement your income - our drummer and guitarist both teach from home and me and the rest of the band have full time jobs. But the extra cash from wedding gigs etc is well worth it.

If you haven't already look at what tunes covers/wedding band play (there are some staple songs) and learn as many as you can, that way you'll be able to slot right in with any band you join.

Good Luck!

Alex,

My advice for what its worth, is to try your best to keep your band small - so try and get a multi-instrumentalist (lead vocal/guitar/keys player in one) - they do exist as Ive got one in my wedding band. That way you can undercut the £1500 guys and still earn good money - also dont forget the power of the internet - my band take 95% of bookings over the internet and we are turning work away (so there is still a market for good bands at the right price) - go for it mate!!

Also I find that Ibanez Blazers - especially stripped back ones - get the booking rolling in lol!!!

Matt

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1352035280' post='1857965']
....Not so sure about this....
[/quote]

+1

Sounds like they were never up to the mark and the OP based his decision on hope rather than reality.

I'd have said yes to the function band and told the others that they had to shape up.

Speaking from bitter experience, you should never turn down better opportunities.

There's always a honeymoon period. Maybe the new bass player in the function band won't fit in.

Definitely go for putting together your own thing. Means you get to pick the members and lay out your expectations ahead of time.
[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1352027414' post='1857854']
I'm thinking I might start a blog or something detailing my hunt for new band members and getting it all off the ground. Might be interesting?
[/quote]
yeah, that would be interesting.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1351986892' post='1857685']
ALWAYS go for the cake.[/quote]
mmmm cake.

Yeah I would have too a year ago. But the thing is is that they all said they'd start wearing uniform (wouldn't call it a uniform, more a dress code) and they didnt. That's what's annoying!

But anyway, onwards and upwards. I've got a few people interested, hopefully be up and running soon!

Alex

This is the exact problem I had with my old band, at least my current band are up front and aren't fussed about gigging so I know where I stand.

We had endless 'way forward' meetings called by the drummer where we discussed 'openly' where we all wanted to be. Unfortunately what they said they wanted to do was completely different to what they actually wanted to do.

I don't think they lied, I just think they didn't actually know what they could commit to.

Alternatively they were just paying you lip service and if you had continued pushing you'd end up leaving or getting asked to leave anyway.

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1352049313' post='1858158']
Personally I'd laugh someone out of the band if they suggested a band uniform.
[/quote]
I think it depends on what you're playing and the audience expectation. To be honest, if I paid the £600 plus a band I know charges for weddings and they turned up in tatty old t-shirts, jeans and trainers, I'd be wondering just how committed they were to making sure the event went well and thus how good they were. It's as much about perception as musical skills when someone is paying you a lot of money for their special occasion.

Just to try and take the view of the other band members:

If I were in a band and someone said "we need another set - what do we fancy doing?" , then fine.

If someone said "We need another set and here are the 12 we're going to do" my gut reaction would be 'Who the f*** does he think he is'?

Sounds like you wanted different things to the rest of the band. None of you are wrong, but they should have said clearly if that's not what they wanted to do. They may not have been lying as such, just not able to fit in what they thought they could.

I agree.

The main issue being that I was the only person for over two weeks who was thinking about this gig. I wasnt contacted by a single band member for two weeks and when I spoke to the guitarist he clearly hadnt given the situation a second thought. That's what annoyed me. The fact that it meant nothing to anyone else even after they promised me that they'd kick it up a notch. Don't forget also that the guitarist told me that he would come up with some songs for us to do; he didn't so I decided to try to get the ball rolling.

I was simply trying to take control of the situation to avoid being embarrassed. The venue wanted us to play for an extra hour and were paying us to do so! If we'd started packing up an hour before we were supposed to even finish, then I doubt we'd have beenpaid and we certainly wouldn't have been asked back.

Anyway, c'est la vie! Onwards and upwards, just looking for a guitarist to complete my new project!

Alex