Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ashdown mag 300 head vs ashdown abm 300 head

Motocross_nick

Hey all, just a very quick question here (searched for it nd found no real answer to my question),

is there a huge difference in tone between the mag range of heads and abm (evoII) range of heads? i mean is the abm worth the extra money over the mag or not?

cheers

Edited by Motocross_nick

Did someone say my name ?!

They are quite different amps in my unprofessional opinion. I think the ABM is a lot warmer and more 'vintagey'. The MAG has the ability to boost the EQ at 220Hz where the ABM has it as 180Hz and 340Hz. This is a quite different range of low mids and does change the tone available quite a lot. The MAG has more of what you'd typically call punch, where as the ABM I feel as better thundering lows as the Bass EQ = 45Hz Vs the MAG's 100Hz. The ABM certainly is more versatile with the valve circuit and 7 band EQ rather than 5, it's possible to get quite a superb clear tone from the ABM with some minimal tweaking.

Out of the 2 - if you can afford it get the ABM, if not the MAG will not dissapoint you.

I prefer the ABM, only just though but I think its more to do with being made in the UK! I know the newer ones are being made in China.

Both definitely have the Ashdown sound and sound great in their own right. The mag cabs are great value for money particularly the 810deep.

[quote name='Machines' post='195195' date='May 9 2008, 08:35 AM']Did someone say my name ?!

They are quite different amps in my unprofessional opinion. I think the ABM is a lot warmer and more 'vintagey'. The MAG has the ability to boost the EQ at 220Hz where the ABM has it as 180Hz and 340Hz. This is a quite different range of low mids and does change the tone available quite a lot. The MAG has more of what you'd typically call punch, where as the ABM I feel as better thundering lows as the Bass EQ = 45Hz Vs the MAG's 100Hz. The ABM certainly is more versatile with the valve circuit and 7 band EQ rather than 5, it's possible to get quite a superb clear tone from the ABM with some minimal tweaking.

Out of the 2 - if you can afford it get the ABM, if not the MAG will not dissapoint you.[/quote]

The MAG also has a boost at 100hz IIR which the AMB doesnt and for me that made a difference in me not getting on with the ABM and also finding it to sound quieter compared to my MAG. Both 300Watt give or take 18watts. the MAG just seemed to punch through.
If i had got a 575 watts ABM maybe i would have kept it.

Edited by dave_bass5

totally agree with machines, the ABM is probably what you would call the ashdown sound, more classic deep warm tone, the mag is more of an easier tone to get on with and has better highs and mid, so like machine said it seems to punch more. personally i feel the mag is more versatile with basses as it has a more modern sound. Though having not really messed long enough with an ABM i'm sure you could get fairly close to the mag sound.
Is it worth the extra cash? i dont think so but then i prefer the sound of the mag. horses for courses
oh there is a difference in the drivers used between the mag and abm range of cabs (yeah i know you are looking at the head but...) the abm seem to have a slightly better(?) cone, the outer ring is thicker and the inner voice coil dome is bigger what the exact tech differences are i dont know but both are very decent.

Edited by lowhand_mike

[quote name='Machines' post='195258' date='May 9 2008, 10:05 AM']When I had an EB (basically a down graded MAG) the 100Hz control rarely got touched, it seemed to make it far too boomy.[/quote]

I found it helped get the bass cut through on my MAG and EB. I felt because the ABM didnt have anything close in the EQ range( IIR) it lacked something.
In fact i was quite surprised there wasnt anything in this area on the MAG.

the Low mid on my Mark Bass heads was one of the selling points for me because this is also set at 100hz.

Guess we just like different tones.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote]oh there is a difference in the drivers used between the mag and abm range of cabs (yeah i know you are looking at the head but...) the abm seem to have a slightly better(?) cone, the outer ring is thicker and the inner voice coil dome is bigger what the exact tech differences are i dont know but both are very decent.[/quote]

I phoned ashdown re this, they told me there was no difference in the speakers - catagorically! so who was i to argue with the very nice lady on the other end of the phone?

I seem to have problems tracking down who makes blueline speakers...I was told it is celestion and that would back up her argument as they are made in China along with the mag stuff but...I did catch a web link that said they were made by an Italian company - cant remember who - got to the website no proof...

Edited by andy67

[quote name='andy67' post='195490' date='May 9 2008, 03:26 PM']I phoned ashdown re this, they told me there was no difference in the speakers - catagorically! so who was i to argue with the very nice lady on the other end of the phone?

I seem to have problems tracking down who makes blueline speakers...I was told it is celestion and that would back up her argument as they are made in China along with the mag stuff but...I did catch a web link that said they were made by an Italian company - cant remember who - got to the website no proof...[/quote]

hmm, yeah as far as i was aware the speakers were made by an italian company (don't know who though)
well here are 2 screen grabs from ashdowns website of the mag and the abm 10" drivers from the 2x10 combos, they certainly look different

[attachment=8553:Picture_1.png]

abm

[attachment=8554:Picture_2.png]

mag

Email Ashdown using this form: [url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/contact/index.asp"]http://www.ashdownmusic.com/contact/index.asp[/url]

Link them to this page if you want - I expect Martin will reply to you pretty quickly.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='195543' date='May 9 2008, 04:44 PM']hmm, yeah as far as i was aware the speakers were made by an italian company (don't know who though)
well here are 2 screen grabs from ashdowns website of the mag and the abm 10" drivers from the 2x10 combos, they certainly look different

[attachment=8553:Picture_1.png]

abm

[attachment=8554:Picture_2.png]

mag[/quote]

so I see, however, the speakers in my mag 810 were the same as in pic 1.

I found the MAG to be a more modern sound than the ABM, and the MAG has a more cutting sound as well. The OD pedal I was using when I gigged with a MAG head was more suitable than when I've used it with my ABM. Definitely agree with the ABM being more vintage sounding, but I reckon the MAG is more versatile. Sadly the MAG looks rubbish. I'm tempted to get a MAG head as well as my ABM and stack them so I can swap about whenever I want, especially if you can pick them up for £100 or so.

Also, Ashdown's customer service is brilliant.

I much prefer the ABMs to the MAGs, having tried both in practices and (crucially) at gigs. I was using a MAG combo when I went to Bass Central a couple of years ago and, no matter what I did, every bass I tried sounded very similar thanks to the colouration. As a result I was a bit wary when I turned up to a gig a few months later and the house amp was an ABM 4x10 combo, but I loved it. I never really thought of myself as a more "vintage" tone lover, but that ABM combo really hit the spot. So much so that I've just bought an ABM 500 head :)

[quote name='andy67' post='195615' date='May 9 2008, 06:23 PM']so I see, however, the speakers in my mag 810 were the same as in pic 1.[/quote]
hmm, kinda see what you mean, weird
wouldnt the change in dome size effect the speaker though?

and to add confusion all the mags i have seen have the small dome and the abms the large one.

i give up :)

i'll give ashdown a shout and see what they say.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='195498' date='May 9 2008, 03:43 PM']i prefer the ABM (mine's chinese too) to the MAG - I a/b them in PMT in Northampton when I was thinking about buying them and I preferred the overall tone of the ABM and particularly liked the valvieness[/quote]

MB1. :)
+TWELVETY....On the ABM..... mines 575 and Very British........ Dont you know! :huh:

[quote name='Machines' post='195609' date='May 9 2008, 06:16 PM']Email Ashdown using this form: [url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/contact/index.asp"]http://www.ashdownmusic.com/contact/index.asp[/url]

Link them to this page if you want - I expect Martin will reply to you pretty quickly.[/quote]

well i gave martin a mail and he came back with
"Thanks for your email. The ABM cabinets are fitting with higher wattage speakers to cope with the extra power from the ABm heads."

i have sent him another email asking about the dome and surrounds, we'll see if he comes back with a little more detail.