Why become a member? ×

Borrowed an ABM500EVOIII and ABM810, fell in love!

mike257

Borrowed my mate's big Ashdown rig for a dep last weekend as amp is out of action and absolutely fell in love with the tone!

I've never owned any Ashdown gear and had mixed experiences using it on shared/house backline gigs, but this rig was stunning. It was total overkill for the litle pub gig I was playing but the sound when I cranked it up was perfect, so much punch in the mids.

It's tempting me to change up my current set up for something simlar - the EVOIII heads seem to go for a reasonable price, but I was wondering if anybody who has experience of the ABM810 and 410 cabs could give me a clue if the smaller cab comes close to delivering the same punch as the 'big rig'.

Had grand plans of going small and lightweight but this tone was just perfect, a definite plan-changer. Don't know if I can justify owning a big 810 for the small amount of bass gigging I'm doing at the moment. Looks nice in the living room though.

Edited by mike257

I used an loaner ABM810 with my 500EVO3 and know what you mean :) I regularly use either one or two of the 410s for practice and the sound is tonally very similar to the 810, but you benefit from the modularity of two cabs. To be honest a single 410 would cover pretty much 99% of my gigging requirements, with the 500EVO3.

I'd try the 500EVO3 and a single 410 and see how you get on.

I like the ABM500 so much I'm considering changing it for the new 1000 version, if I can free up some cash somehow lol.

Cheers

Geoff

A local venue used to use an ashdown mag 600 through an ashdown mag 4x10 and the sound was pants (farting speakers). They changed the cab to a ampeg SVT classic 4x10 and now the sound is fantastic. So my advice is to get an ashdown amp but if you already have a decent ampeg 6x10 stick with it and see if you like the sound before you spend money on an ashdown 4x10 because an ashdown amp and ampeg speakers are a good combination.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1351690858' post='1854201']
A local venue used to use an ashdown mag 600 through an ashdown mag 4x10 and the sound was pants (farting speakers). They changed the cab to a ampeg SVT classic 4x10 and now the sound is fantastic. So my advice is to get an ashdown amp but if you already have a decent ampeg 6x10 stick with it and see if you like the sound before you spend money on an ashdown 4x10 because an ashdown amp and ampeg speakers are a good combination.
[/quote]

I had the exact opposit experience - to my ears, Ashdown amps really don't sit well with Ampeg cabs. They make the sound a lot duller, a lot less top end. Mind you, that might be the sound you're after - I was going for the full-on, Entwistle treble and grind tone so it didn't meet my needs.
I owned both the ABM 8x10 and 4x10 - same basic sound from both, although the 8x10 has that irresistable advantage of being higher so is much easier to hear and feel during a gig.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1351690068' post='1854185']
Borrowed my mate's big Ashdown rig for a dep last weekend as amp is out of action and absolutely fell in love with the tone!

I've never owned any Ashdown gear and had mixed experiences using it on shared/house backline gigs, but this rig was stunning. It was total overkill for the litle pub gig I was playing but the sound when I cranked it up was perfect, so much punch in the mids.

It's tempting me to change up my current set up for something simlar - the EVOIII heads seem to go for a reasonable price, but I was wondering if anybody who has experience of the ABM810 and 410 cabs could give me a clue if the smaller cab comes close to delivering the same punch as the 'big rig'.

Had grand plans of going small and lightweight but this tone was just perfect, a definite plan-changer. Don't know if I can justify owning a big 810 for the small amount of bass gigging I'm doing at the moment. Looks nice in the living room though.
[/quote]

To go with my ABM 500, I've used an ABM 810 (borrowed at rehearsals), and own a ABM 410 and 2x ABM 210s. I now use the 2x210 for gigs - works a treat! Although I'd have an 810 if I could carry one, to be honest I cant say I've noticed a tone difference between that and its smaller siblings. Seems to be much the same sound out of different sized boxes!. The 2x210 combination works especially well cos it stands high up and runs at 4Ohm - so gets the most out of the amp. The 410 on its own is noticeably quieter - but still plenty loud enough. Its a heavy bugger tho!

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1351698326' post='1854351']
To go with my ABM 500, I've used an ABM 810 (borrowed at rehearsals), and own a ABM 410 and 2x ABM 210s. I now use the 2x210 for gigs - works a treat! Although I'd have an 810 if I could carry one, to be honest I cant say I've noticed a tone difference between that and its smaller siblings. Seems to be much the same sound out of different sized boxes!. The 2x210 combination works especially well cos it stands high up and runs at 4Ohm - so gets the most out of the amp. The 410 on its own is noticeably quieter - but still plenty loud enough. Its a heavy bugger tho!
[/quote]

The ABM810 is really tempting - I own a big Transit van so moving it is no problem, it's just totally over the top for my needs at the moment! Two 2x10s sounds a lot more manageable, do you stack them tallways then?

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1351690858' post='1854201']
[/quote]

To be honest I think the sound of the cab had a lot to do with the results I got on Saturday - the big sealed fridge design had more presence in the mids than my SVT610, which is ported and more heavy on the low lows. I do love the 610, but I think the sound I got from the Ashdown rig might just suit me better.

I'll have to take it out again with my Stingray to be sure, but it sounded so warm and punchy with the Sandberg, I was in tone heaven!

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1351699745' post='1854375']
The ABM810 is really tempting - I own a big Transit van so moving it is no problem, it's just totally over the top for my needs at the moment! Two 2x10s sounds a lot more manageable, do you stack them tallways then?
[/quote]

Well I thought I'd stack them on end - got extra feet and everything - but actually they're fine stacked normal way. Stands quite a bit taller than the 410, and feels about 30% louder (I know that's a flawed statement!)

Anyhow - there's pics here...
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/181395-ncd-twin-210s/page__hl__abm+210s__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/181395-ncd-twin-210s/page__hl__abm+210s__fromsearch__1[/url]

[quote name='TG Flatline' timestamp='1351700508' post='1854381']
I love my Evo3 head, but found Ashdown cabs a bit lacking in a band situation personally.
[/quote]

Love my Ashdown cabs and damn you must be in a loud band as Ashdown cabs seem to do the job pretty well for Foo Fighters, Entwistle, JJ Etc ;-)

I'm running a Klystron 1000 head and two classic 4x10's and can honestly say its the best rig I've ever had. The only drawback is the size and weight. I've used ABM 4x10's and they sounded fine until you push them then they started to loose deffinition. But the neo drivers in the classics just seem to get louder and louder without loosing anything. Can deffinately recomend this set up .

[quote name='jezbass' timestamp='1351807571' post='1855788']
I'm running a Klystron 1000 head and two classic 4x10's and can honestly say its the best rig I've ever had. The only drawback is the size and weight. I've used ABM 4x10's and they sounded fine until you push them then they started to loose deffinition. But the neo drivers in the classics just seem to get louder and louder without loosing anything. Can deffinately recomend this set up .
[/quote]

I've got the same set up as my main rig!(although i use a 410 and 115 Classic Cabs) Best sounding rig i've ever owned/played through and I've been through ridiculous amounts of gear over the last 20 years

[quote name='phatbass787' timestamp='1351712390' post='1854570']
Love my Ashdown cabs and damn you must be in a loud band as Ashdown cabs seem to do the job pretty well for Foo Fighters, Entwistle, JJ Etc ;-)
[/quote]

Should probably clarify, I was using ABM 410s and 115s. They are happy to go loud, and on their own sounded fine, but certainly not a "clear" sound once everyone else was playing. I had a far better time when borrowing a 212 Schroeder and with my current BFM cabs. The ABM minis I used to have before the 410 and 115 were ace as a mini solution, but only for backline and they just couldn't kick out enough to be used without PA support. Can't stress enough how ace the ABM head is though!

[quote name='TG Flatline' timestamp='1351845520' post='1856023']
Should probably clarify, I was using ABM 410s and 115s. They are happy to go loud, and on their own sounded fine, but certainly not a "clear" sound once everyone else was playing. I had a far better time when borrowing a 212 Schroeder and with my current BFM cabs. The ABM minis I used to have before the 410 and 115 were ace as a mini solution, but only for backline and they just couldn't kick out enough to be used without PA support. Can't stress enough how ace the ABM head is though!
[/quote]
Maybe the AMB115 was partly the culprit? I got rid of mine for that reason. The 10s on their own seem to cut through much better.

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1351850116' post='1856085']
Maybe the AMB115 was partly the culprit? I got rid of mine for that reason. The 10s on their own seem to cut through much better.
[/quote]
That was my initial thought, so I AB'd them and didn't notice a great deal of difference with either cab honestly :(

Mike257 >> "I'll have to take it out again with my Stingray to be sure, but it sounded so warm and punchy with the Sandberg, I was in tone heaven!"

Hi Mike

I have ABM500EVOII connected to ABM610 (just arrived few days ago) and I play Sandberg JJ-4 California and all I can say is: That's my dream and heaven.... it took me a while to get all that stuff together but it's worth.... It is very loud and powerful system and ABM610 do a great job...

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/809/abm500evoiiabm6101.jpg/][IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img809/674/abm500evoiiabm6101.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/267/sandbergjj4california.jpg/][IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img267/2460/sandbergjj4california.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='risk1' timestamp='1351935818']

Hi Mike

I have ABM500EVOII connected to ABM610 (just arrived few days ago) and I play Sandberg JJ-4 California and all I can say is: That's my dream and heaven.... it took me a while to get all that stuff together but it's worth.... It is very loud and powerful system and ABM610 do a great job...

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/809/abm500evoiiabm6101.jpg/][IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img809/674/abm500evoiiabm6101.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/267/sandbergjj4california.jpg/][IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img267/2460/sandbergjj4california.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[/quote]

Wow, great setup! I was using a Cali JM4 so we were probably hearing the same kind of thing, it seemed to be a great combination.

I love my Ampeg and the Shuttle is wonderful and so easy to get about, but seriously thinking about making the switch. Transport isn't a problem for me so the big cabs are fine, although I'd probably need a smaller one too just in case.... aaargh, first GAS attack in ages, and I was doing so well :(