Why become a member? ×

Kala SUB U Bass: anyone got one or played one?

redstriper

I've had one for a while now, and its really good fun! Had to replace the strings quickly to the alternative make Mark sells (forget the name, sorry), and this made a huge difference. They dont go out of tune as much (they still do though to a certain extent) and sound better.

The build quality isnt the best, although perfectly ok for the price, but the sound is ubelievable! I think they look cool, but friends assume its a toy, which only helps the illusion when they hear what it can do.....................

I've recently played one, and I controversially think it's a bit of a toy.

It's essentially an ashbory bass in an ukulele shell, and it needs to be amplified to be heard. Soundwise, it has an interesting DB tone, but I can't see it being used instead of one anywhere.

Sorry, not for me!

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The original Kala U-bass is a hollow body ukelele style instrument.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The newer Kala SUB U-Bass has a solid body, more like a mini bass guitar and it [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]is active, with volume and tone controls, while the original is passive without any controls at all. [/font][/color]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peT7fByJUU0[/media]