Why become a member? ×

Best bass sound ever?

Ryan Martinie, LD50 - that's my ideal bass sound. Unfortunately, I haven't got access to the million pounds that it would cost me to achieve it, so I set my Zoom B21.u to mimic an Ampeg and then just hit my bass really hard around the bottom of the neck.

My Warwick Streamer std into my SansAmp BDDI with level at 12 o'clock, blend full up, presence, treble and bass about 1 o'clock and drive at about 2.

I can get a lot of sounds with that set up and using the tone and volume pots on the Warwick. I nearly always plug straight in to the FX return on my amp.

[quote name='Galilee' post='194438' date='May 8 2008, 09:04 AM']Ryan Martinie, LD50 - that's my ideal bass sound. Unfortunately, I haven't got access to the million pounds that it would cost me to achieve it, so I set my Zoom B21.u to mimic an Ampeg and then just hit my bass really hard around the bottom of the neck.[/quote]

Huge fan of Ryan, but I'm more for his tone on Lost & Found, its just perfect, the epitome of how a Thumb NT should sound, whereas on TEOATTC it's not as prominent in the mix and for me, L.D.50 the tone is nice but a bit too honky but it really adds to what makes that album so great.

Dirk Lance (Incubus) on Science, the perfect example of how a Streamer Stage II does sound.
Sam Rivers (Limp Bizkit) on Hot Dog Flavoured Water, just pure Warwick growl.
Tye Zamora (AAF) on Anthology, a lovely growly tone and topped off with great melodic playing.
Stu Zender (Jamiroquai) on Emergency on Planet Earth + Return of The Space Cowboy, pure growly funk, simple.
Marcus Miller, just about any album he's released, his tone knocks me dead.

Now this one might seem odd, but I really do think Mike Kroeger's tone on Nickleback's Silver Side up is just amazing, deep dark and growly and some nice playing.

Back on topic, I have almost all of my treble cut due to the fact if I hear the tiniest bit of treble in my tone I can't play with that tone at all, I have my bridge pick up soloed and all my mids boosted and a add a layer of bass and voila!

Edited by Josh

I love the bass tone on the whole of Lenny Kravitz's "Mama Said" album as far as the amp and recording goes. I love the tone Jaco gets for fingerstyle stuff. And I love Louis Johnson's and Larry Graham's slap tones.

I try to approximate the Larry Graham and Jaco tones with my playing and Kravtiz's "Mama Said" tone with my preamp.

[quote name='Josh' post='194761' date='May 8 2008, 03:45 PM']Now this one might seem odd, but I really do think Mike Kroeger's tone on Nickleback's Silver Side up is just amazing, deep dark and growly and some nice playing.[/quote]
I agree - especially on Never Again, nice and growly. I am currently loving the bass sound on Empire (Queensryche).

Oh - I think i misunderstood what this was about:

Doug Wimbish's tone of Living Colour's Stain album is awesome
Billy Gould on FNM's King For A Day Fool For a Lifetime

+1 for Lenny Kravitz's Mama Said album - I love the sound of the bass on It Ain't Over Till It's Over