Why become a member? ×

Acoustic bass guitar at folk sessions

BassBus

I haven't found a 'regular' acoustic bass guitar yet which will keep up acoustically with other instruments. A double bass is a much better proposition, especially if you slap or use a bow, that'll make it cut through.

There are some clips on youtube featuring Djordje Stijepovic, where he plays unamplified with an ensemble. Having said that, he uses steel strings on his DB and slaps the *rs* out of it :) .

Interesting comment about the cheaper basses. I had thought that raising the action would help. That's part of the reason a DB has a higher volume. All the clips I've looked at on YouTube are being played solo so doesn't give an idea of ensemble playing. The best sounding one was strung with black nylon strings.

Ehm, no, I don't have $2200 to spare. More's the pitty as it looks like an interesting instrument.

The little GK combos can be sneaked in, and hidden under tables.....

On the rare truly "acoustic" situations where I've dared to play EUB I have put the combo off stage, or way back out of sight. I've done the same with ABG with good results..and almost forgotten there is an amp!

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1350908067' post='1844851']
This might just cut it - the Rigel Acousta Bass ... if you have a spare $2200 plus shipping and tax :rolleyes:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZjg0EwfBMM&feature=related[/media]
[/quote]

I saw that pic and every cell in my body screamed 'get a bloody double bass woman' :rolleyes:

We did a 'festival' this summer, where we found out two days before we were due to play that they wanted it unplugged. Thankfully I own an acoustic bass otherwise we'd have been completely screwed, but sadly I don't have a Roland Cube or similar so I was forced to play unplugged-I have a Washburn AB10. We did two sets, both outdoors. I used a pick and dug in hard. One was in the town square surrounded by buildings, and I was told the sound wasn't bad. The other was in an open area with no buildings, and it didn't work so well. I definitely wish I had some amplification. We weren't too happy with the whole thing, and the strength of this, we're not doing any more unamplified acoustic stuff.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/MikeyB17/150101_10150826672040892_123461020891_9919591_693651945_n.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by Deep Thought

When ever I see any acoustic sets I always notice that the guitarists normal have some help from the pa by placing a mic by the guitars body, if that is acceptable I would expect that it would be fine for me to take a small amp with me or go through the pa when ever I need to crack out my acoustic bass.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1350926265' post='1845157']
Surely it's either acoustic or it's not?
[/quote]

Well, no. We're talking about acoustic instruments with pickups that allow them to be amplified. Still sound like acoustics, only louder. My acoustic bass sounds nothing like my electric bass when amplified. And as I think has been established, electro-acoustic basses don't have enough volume to compete with other acoustic instruments if they're not amplified. Thus I don't propose to use mine unamplified again.

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1350941381' post='1845482']
Well, no. We're talking about acoustic instruments with pickups that allow them to be amplified. Still sound like acoustics, only louder. My acoustic bass sounds nothing like my electric bass when amplified. And as I think has been established, electro-acoustic basses don't have enough volume to compete with other acoustic instruments if they're not amplified. Thus I don't propose to use mine unamplified again.
[/quote]

I've not tried any "acoustic" basses because they're not really my thing, but I do have a soft spot for acoustic guitar to fill out the mix in some places on recordings, so about 5 years ago I spent a couple of weekends trying out all the available acoustic guitars in my local music shops. What I found was that unless you were prepared to spend at least £1500 you didn't get anything that sounded very good when plugged in and certainly none but the most expensive could be considered to sound like the guitar unplugged only louder. For what I wanted the money I'd need to spend to be satisfied with the sound was IMO over the top, so I made do with an electric guitar I already owned DI'd on very low gain and a lot of time playing with the EQ at both recording and mix down. Nothing I've heard at anything below serious pro-level has convinced me that the technology has improved at the lower price points.

For the one time I've been asked to do an "acoustic" session on bass I used my Lightwave fretless strung with TI flats. For me that had a sound that sympathetically blended with the other instruments in the band.

• 2 weeks later...

ABG's are not made to be played unamplified in a group setting. They simply aren't loud enough. There are some great small bass rigs out there that shouldn't cause a riot. I've used a Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 with an 8" cab, plenty loud enough and a nice uncoloured tone. Gallien Kruger and AER also have great mini combos.
I use a Crafter Fretless acoustic with D'Addario nylon tapered strings. Best strings I've had on this bass.
Here's a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVcVCSruKIU

This the also the bet ABG in it's price range, if you don't mind the shorter scale length. I picked this up for less than £200.