Why become a member? ×

I survived Squarepusher!

Prunesquallor

I saw Squarepusher at the Hackney Empire last night, and any thoughts I'd had about him dumbing down or selling out because of his latest electronica album and new Daft Punk-lite image were blown away.

He did the latest album, of course, but nothing else I recognized. The rest seemed to be semi-improvized aural assaults, using music as a kind of battering ram. This was not the sweet side of Squarepusher of, say, Bubble Life, but the 'difficult' side, which gets me asked to turn him down a lot at home. :rolleyes:

Of course, I went to see him play bass. He's one of the main reasons I picked up one in the first place. But when he did, towards the end of the concert, he used it to project yet more jagged, scouring synth rockets over an electronic back beat. Only right at the end of the encore did a recognizable bass sound emerge for a few jazzy chords. That was it.

Did I enjoy it? Yes, in a sado-masochistic kind of way. I do wish he'd given us some set dynamics, though, a couple of oldies, like Squarepusher Theme, and some recognizable virtuoso bass.

7/10

As a person who loves old keyboards stuff(tangerine dream/schulze / namlook) I heard of him , but nothing by him.
Saw a pic of him in Fridays metro , and watched a few bits on you tube.T he an has awesome talent , and I love someone who puts on ashow. Is there anything you could recommend that's not too dancey ?

'Not too dancey'... hmm. He does like that d'n'b backbeat...

Most people recommend Hard Normal Daddy or Feed Me Weird Things as 'gateway' albums. They could be considered his 'classic' period, if you like. Or you could try Ultravisitor, Flea's favourite album. They could all be a bit dancey for you, though. Alternatively, there's Solo Electric Bass 1, a concert recording in which it's just him and a 6-string bass - no drum machines, or any other electronics.

For the record, my favourite tracks for his bass playing, are EZ Boogie, C-Town Smash, Squarepusher Theme, The Swifty (the bass comes in late), Hello Meow, Bubble Life, Papalon, Iambic 5 Poetry, Don't Go Plastic, My Sound, and Tetrasync. Check them out on YouTube. The first two, in particular, are bravura bass displays.

Hope this helps! :)

Nice to hear what you thought. Personally I love Squarepusher, but I can't see me enjoying watching him live, partly because I'm not interested in the visceral act of watching what he does on bass or all those modules but mostly because it's way too avant garde... like you say, an onslaught!

Sounds great. I didn't know that he had a 'classic period' - those are good albums, but for me Go Plastic and Ubfubulum are the best. I find Ultravisitor like many double albums in that it would be much better if they made it half as long and just kept the best bits.
Anyway, I'm dead jealous, I love Squarepusher live, and not seen him for years.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1350825737' post='1843858']
I didn't know that he had a 'classic period' - those are good albums, but for me Go Plastic and Ubfubulum are the best.[/quote]

Well, Hard Normal Daddy and Feed Me Weird Things seem to come up the most, or certainly very often, in favourite Squarepusher album threads, and they aren't too extreme, which is why I recommended them to Ray. Go Plastic I'd rate as one of his more difficult albums; and Ufabulum I couldn't get into at all, and is quite different to his previous output. But, hey, whatever floats your boat. :)

[quote name='Prunesquallor' timestamp='1350828928' post='1843912']

Well, Hard Normal Daddy and Feed Me Weird Things seem to come up the most, or certainly very often, in favourite Squarepusher album threads, and they aren't too extreme, which is why I recommended them to Ray. Go Plastic I'd rate as one of his more difficult albums; and Ufabulum I couldn't get into at all, and is quite different to his previous output. But, hey, whatever floats your boat. :)
[/quote]

I was by no means questioning your recommendations, just musing aloud as it were :-)
It took me a while to get into Ubfubulum, but it's been in the car player for ages and I've recently really got into it, especially the dark and powerful second half.
I remember buying "Budakahn Mindphone" ep in a record shop in Dublin back in 1999, a bit more organic and ambient than later stuff, but I hadn't heard anything like it before, been hooked ever since.

damn - wanted to catch the new show but blew it (just so damn busy I forgot when it was on) - I think he's playing Manchester so might get up for that one - love the man and his music - he's so far ahead of the rest of us... he's out of sight. His knowledge of the inside of computer music/synths is equal or greater than his skills on bass - he has a truly frightening talent. Thoroughly nice chap though - and very down to earth in person. So there you go.

[quote name='Prunesquallor' timestamp='1350984069' post='1845745']
Really? What did he modify? Did you get it directly from him? I've heard he's a nice enough guy.
[/quote]

TVM 600 head in the combo upgraded on the treble to give an extra 6db of boost at 11khz, 600w RMS @ 2ohm. Combo runs at 4ohms.

I got it from the Bass Merchant when Mike (Zoot) was still running it.