Why become a member? ×

Barefaced IsoTilt wedges

funky8884

The truth is that a bee can fly, but it can't glide.
This is what happens when scientists use terms that can be interpreted in many ways in order to try and explain something to lay people. It doesn't always work out. And this is why I think there is still debate three pages on over a scientific fact, when the debate should be about what is meant by the terms being used.
And this is why I'm often wary of products that make wild claims backed up with scientific language that can be misinterpreted.

I think the truth is: If you put your cab on a beer crate/chair/stand/block of foam/expensive block of foam/carpet/etc. it will, to varying degrees, change the way sound coming from your cab interacts with its surroundings, and therefore what you hear in the room.

Whatever works for you is what you should use.
And I think from the looks of things Alex has come up with a small, light and portable solution which will be available soon.

Don't bumblebees gain the extra lift, that simplistic calculation said was unavailable from their wing size and reciprocations per minute, through the creation of a vortex which generates extra lift compared to how a bird wing works? Usually when scientific theory differs from reality it's because the science is incomplete!

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1351157456' post='1847950']
Don't bumblebees gain the extra lift, that simplistic calculation said was unavailable from their wing size and reciprocations per minute, through the creation of a vortex which generates extra lift compared to how a bird wing works? Usually when scientific theory differs from reality it's because the science is incomplete!
[/quote]

Who said "one man's science is another man's belly laugh..."?

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1351157456' post='1847950']
[/quote]

A bee is very small and, at that size, air behaves like a more viscous fluid than it does for birds and helicopters. So the laws of aerodynamics are quite different for bees and other insects.

Any statement that invites misinterpretation is far from being scientific.

http://www.jimloy.com/physics/bee.htm

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1076/is-it-aerodynamically-impossible-for-bumblebees-to-fly

The interaction between the sets of wings was an efficiency thing, they second set is timed in such a way to benefit from the effect of the first.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1351091586' post='1847226']
So if all these bits of foam are so good, why do 99.9% of cabinets have RUBBER feet?
[/quote] 'Cos they're very cheap, especially when bought in bulk. Just for fun I made my own 'Gramma' out of a bit of 3/4" ply a bit bigger than the footprint of my cab, glued a carpet tile on top and two bits of flightcase foam on the bottom, total cost about £6, works a treat in certain environments - have a go!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1351706467' post='1854455']
Ah, I see.
So while certain manufacturers spend a (small) fortune in design/technology/material R&D, they'll skimp on feet?
[/quote]

It's like Dood has said before, why would companies spend a fortune on all this and skimp on valves and end up making something sound naff!

Very strange.